• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    ...Because an AR can never look this good...

fee66488d6744ddeb043781640318e00.jpg

Here's my HD/CQB setup: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/299985-mossberg-sa20-tactical-hd-gun.html

:rockwoot:
    Da*n strait,LOL!.......:):......not ta mention the 'reach out'n GIT'cha' capabilty.......

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Never had one, probably never will either. I'm just not a fan of the "me too" purchasing habit. This extends to all aspects of life, not just firearms. I don't own any Chevy 350's (or a Dodge Ram for those living in/around Kokomo), as I like to be a little different. I don't carry a Glock, I don't have credit cards, and I don't even pay for television!

I'm old school, as I prefer outdoor football stadiums, classic ballparks like Fenway & Wrigley, and ketchup only belongs on potatoes!

:):.....Me neither,hahahaha........DO carry a Glock, tho.......:):

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Are we just going to pretend like this didnt happen?

THAT photo is a photoshop.

Mattel NEVER made actual weapons.

There's some SCANT anecdotal evidence that they MAY made some of the plastic furniture for them, however. But actual photos of anything with the actual ID'ing marks aren't to be found, either.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I dont, for one, Im a broke college student and got my ak in high school, and the price of the gun and ammuntion is just too much for me(to get quality ammo at least)

I dont know how much you got your AK for, but I cant find one for less than My AR's,
    and the ammo is about the same if you dont factor in surplus ammo.

2. The more affordable ARs have plastic lowers and uppers and dont feel very sturdy, and they either lack iron sights and on my budget are pretty much consigned to **** optics, or have plastic irons

Plastic lowers are an option, as are uppers. But they are by no means the only way to have an AR for cheap.
    I have built two AR's so far, first one cost me 548$, and second one 557$ both with METAL iron sights.

3. When I was buying my semi auto rifle right after I graduated high school, I wanted this to be my primary HD gun, and the 5.56 round in a 16 inch barrel in a semi doesnt inspire confidence. (now if I had full auto or burst mode and a 20 inch barrel like the Marines use, thats another story, and .300 BLK is just to expensive or time consuming to reload). And also, unless you have military spec 5.56 ammo, essentially you have a scary looking varmit gun. While to me, 7.62x39 with 8m3 bullets is just a vastly superior round for "social work" and given the fact that Im a big guy(ex heavyweight wrestler, offensive linemen, and judo), recoil is not much of an issue so I can sling probably a good 4-5 .30 8m3 slugs into center of mass at HD range

People die every day from the 5.56...
    16" barrel isnt enough for you? Exactly how far away are you expecting someone to be, when you have to use your "self defense" weapon?

4. For me, as a collector, and military and russian history buff, the AK just has a massive second kind of cool for me. I have a Polish AKMS(the folding stock variant) and to me, it is a physical manifestation of a massive advance in firearms and military technology, and post WW2 doctrine of massed Mechanized infantry, tanks, and artillery. And it just looks menacing and frickin cool to me. Also, I like the genius of the simplicity of the operating system and the fact that it will just ****ing work. I can load it up with the dirtiest cheapest steel cased surplus ammo and I pull the trigger, and it just goes bang. And finally, it is just reassuring to hold steel and wood in my hand over plastic and aluminum of an AR.

I agree, AKs are way cooler from a historical standpoint. But one day, so will be my AR's
    I also agree theres nothing like the reassurance of an AK's simplistic mechanics. You just know its gonna work. Of course, as long as your not in a scene from falling skies, and cant clean your AR for several thousand rounds, it will go bang every time, as well. The AK is the more durable system, the AR is the more accurate system. Throughout all of AR/AK debates, this has always been fact.

Another thing I forgot about my ak, Im polish myself and most of the parts where made in poland at the radom arsenal(which even if I wasnt polish has been pretty much the top non western firearms manufacture in the world, even during Russian Occupation)

Im American, and my AR's were built by me, from parts that were built by other Americans. The AR platform has parts manufactured by everyone from big companies, to father and son teams, in their garage. As a weapon, the AR does a great job, but I actually think it does as good of a job of bringing us all together as a free country.

Think about it? What do you suppose would have happened if you were living under the itchy red blanket of communist Russia, and you decided you wanted to start making AK47 parts in your garage? Probably wouldn't end well for you. Or your wife, or your children, or your children children, or anyone who ever talked to your children's children.

OK, now Im getting off topic abit.

I love them them both is the point.

I will be building an AK from receiver blank hopefully this year.

I guess I hate to see someone one sided when it comes to guns. Hell, they're all great, in their own ways.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Simple. I don't own one (my husband does) because I don't like the look of them. I'd rather have a different type of rifle in 5.56/223

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I don't own one, but I want one. Don't have the funds at the moment to buy/build one...and if I did, I don't have the funds to feed it as often at I'd want to if I had one.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Why in the world would you ask a question like that?!? That is like asking "Why doesn't everyone live in Kalifornia. It's warm there and all the women are pretty." Or asking "Why doesn't everyone own a Toyota." They get good gas mileage and the dealerships are warm and inviting." Different strokes for different folks, for Pete's sake. (And yes, I own an AR AND an AK.) (And no, I DON'T own a Glock either.)

chrisommer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I currently do not own an AR but have been heavily contemplating building one for awhile. I keep putting my money else where such as watches or other cool crap. I'm sure by the end of the year I will have an AR in my hands...

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Nope, I was forced to carry a few in the early 70's that were unreliable, provided limited stopping power, and couldn't get through a freaking leaf without flying all hither and tither. Bad experiences from a lot of people that I knew and many I witnessed can never be made up by some professed 'good' experiences from people I don't know and never met. Far as I'm concerned the platform is a POS and it would never have gone anywhere if it were not bought at the behest of politicians.

Argue with it all day if you like; I refer you to my second sentence. Hunters will tell you a host of weapons are good in the brush, or not...interesting that the government can come up with all sorts of reasons this .22 class weapon defies all those shortfalls.

As far as an AR in a different caliber...not interested. There are plenty of good rifles out there that don't look like they were made by Matel.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Don't have one for a few reasons..

1) expensive to shoot, I know I will dump rounds out of it faster than I can refill my wallet.
    2) I suffer from NSGHI (New, Shiny, Gotta Have It) disorder, I know that will get worse with a AR.
    3) Saving for a house
    4) Not my cup of tea, that's not to say they aren't cool, because they are! Just not something that ranks high on my list ATM.

Overall, between finances, and my NSGHI, I know that it would only hurt me in the long run. I am satisfied with my .22s, 12 gauge, and 45. I am looking to add a couple more bolt action rifles, and another shotgun to the collection, then probably a ak or ar. So it isn't too far off, just not a right now thing.

Top Bottom