Who is going to Friday Night Steel on October 14th?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Will you be at FNS on October 14?

• Total voters

Beans&Bullets

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Terre Haute, IN
    Wow, Indy traffic sucks! Left my house at 3:40pm and barely made it, think I"ll wait til construction issues on west side of town get better before I attend another match.

Last edited:

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Well I went. But between lafayette construction, Indy construction, The very clear directions on MCFG's website, and the big sign I was able to arrive promptly at 6:02. listen to the shooters meeting, and then be told I was S.O.L. as I had missed registration.

now, I left west lafayette at 4:15, took us 52 (got stuck in that traffic) hopped on 26, then on to 65. drove to indy construction, after transitioning onto 465. Noticed the detour sign that said "crawfordsville rd exit closed" and tried to use my iphone to read the directions they had posted, look at their map, and compare with Google maps iphone app to figure out how to get their. I got off 465 at 38th (I think) followed that around to dandy trail. Here I was confronted with a conundrum, do I turn towards indy, or away towards clearmont. well MCFG's website suggested that I proceed towards clearmont, and since I was sure an outdoor range wouldn't be closer to indy, I drove west. after ten minutes of driving the wrong way I decided to pull over and double check the directions.

Here I notice the phrase "If you pass girls school road you have gone too far. So I look closer at google maps and to my surprise I am about 5 too far west. So I turn around. I finally get to the range just a few minutes too late I assume.

At the meeting I approach a guy with a pile of money in front of him, and ask if its too late to sign up. I am dismissively told I am too late, I push to see if they will make an exception, "no, or I'll have to start making one for everybody" is what I'm told. So I leave.

I am not a member, I had never shot their before, FNS is something I had been interested to attend for some time but alas the stars never lined up, and FNS is a revenue generator I gather. I do have friends that shoot at purdue. If I had a good time I would have been back, with a carload or two. I also planned to run 3-5 pistols. two glock 19's a glock17 and a 34 ( trying to decide which to keep) and either my P30L or my dan wesson 1911. so that would have been $35-55 for the club.

I have now spent 4 hours mainly in my car, navigating construction traffic, trying to find a place via vague directions (couldn't you have at least put up a pin or a flag on google maps?). I am "upset", I wanted to shoot something, now I REALLY want to shoot something, I will not be back, nor will I ever try to tell my friends about what you do.

I understand I could have lefter earlier, (but google maps told me 1 hour 11 minutes), I could have spent more time reading the directions and and possibly asked a question here on ingo for clarification, but I had a lab today till 3, by the time I walked home and loaded up it was 4 o'clock. Then I got to have a wonderful evening in my car. THANKS MCFG.

Demo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    It'll be interesting to see the responses to you Jeremiah.

How you were treated is par from what I've seen. I've witnessed and experienced the arrogant dismissal.

Absolutely infuriating.

doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I was able to arrive promptly at 6:02. listen to the shooters meeting,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I only shot the FNS once but it was a very pleasant one (except for the mosquitoes). From my understanding, if you've made to the shooters' meeting, you are on time. Maybe I need to go read about the rules again...

I didn't wake up early enough today (I heard the traffic was even worse than last month, when I shot the bowling pins there), so I didn't try to make it there...

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It'll be interesting to see the responses to you Jeremiah.

How you were treated is par from what I've seen. I've witnessed and experienced the arrogant dismissal.

Absolutely infuriating.

We implemented the same safety rule as Atlanta Conservation Club that shooters must attend the Shooters Meeting in order to make sure that all shooters hear our safety briefing. We implemented the cutoff in order to be 100% consistent, whether the shooter is our best friend or our worst enemy. As one of the Match Directors, it has been a big help, because it ensures our competitors have heard the rules, and know how to compete in a safe manner. It also ensures that we don't get pressure from folks who are arriving late to redo the entire Shooters Meeting just for them after the match has already started. This is especially hard to accommodate because the RO's are responsible for watching their squad and ensuring that the match runs safely and smoothly.

Regarding the tone with which this is presented, we do our best to be as gentle as possible when informing a shooter that they have missed the cutoff, but we stand firm in our conviction that a shooter must be on time if they are going to shoot and we enforce the rule the same for new folks walking in off the street as we do for Board Members or even Match Directors.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Being on time is not asking too much. Everyone had to deal with the traffic and construction and the other people made it on time.

Bcampbell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Bloomington
    It was our first shoot at Friday night steel and Collin and I had a great
    Experience. We are looking forward to attending more shoots in the future.
    I forgot to register Collin as a JR, he just turned 12.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Well I went. But between lafayette construction, Indy construction, The very clear directions on MCFG's website, and the big sign I was able to arrive promptly at 6:02. listen to the shooters meeting, and then be told I was S.O.L. as I had missed registration.

now, I left west lafayette at 4:15, took us 52 (got stuck in that traffic) hopped on 26, then on to 65. drove to indy construction, after transitioning onto 465. Noticed the detour sign that said "crawfordsville rd exit closed" and tried to use my iphone to read the directions they had posted, look at their map, and compare with Google maps iphone app to figure out how to get their. I got off 465 at 38th (I think) followed that around to dandy trail. Here I was confronted with a conundrum, do I turn towards indy, or away towards clearmont. well MCFG's website suggested that I proceed towards clearmont, and since I was sure an outdoor range wouldn't be closer to indy, I drove west. after ten minutes of driving the wrong way I decided to pull over and double check the directions.

Here I notice the phrase "If you pass girls school road you have gone too far. So I look closer at google maps and to my surprise I am about 5 too far west. So I turn around. I finally get to the range just a few minutes too late I assume.

At the meeting I approach a guy with a pile of money in front of him, and ask if its too late to sign up. I am dismissively told I am too late, I push to see if they will make an exception, "no, or I'll have to start making one for everybody" is what I'm told. So I leave.

I am not a member, I had never shot their before, FNS is something I had been interested to attend for some time but alas the stars never lined up, and FNS is a revenue generator I gather. I do have friends that shoot at purdue. If I had a good time I would have been back, with a carload or two. I also planned to run 3-5 pistols. two glock 19's a glock17 and a 34 ( trying to decide which to keep) and either my P30L or my dan wesson 1911. so that would have been $35-55 for the club.

I have now spent 4 hours mainly in my car, navigating construction traffic, trying to find a place via vague directions (couldn't you have at least put up a pin or a flag on google maps?). I am "upset", I wanted to shoot something, now I REALLY want to shoot something, I will not be back, nor will I ever try to tell my friends about what you do.

I understand I could have lefter earlier, (but google maps told me 1 hour 11 minutes), I could have spent more time reading the directions and and possibly asked a question here on ingo for clarification, but I had a lab today till 3, by the time I walked home and loaded up it was 4 o'clock. Then I got to have a wonderful evening in my car. THANKS MCFG.

You misread the directions. The directions that instruct you to turn towards Clermont are the directions that have been posted forever and apply when the exits at Crawfordsville Road were not closed. We try very hard to make it easier for folks to find the club but we cannot be solely responsible for your driving and directional ability. There is a a big, bold section at the top of the "directions" page on www.indyrange.org that says "NOTE-Please Read" and then instructs the reader on alternate directions should they find that the ramps to/from Crawfordsville Road are closed. I am sorry that you didn't get there on time but I feel I would be remiss in not pointing out that your anger is misplaced. The portion of your post highlited in red is the root cause of your problems, not anything MCFG did. I have found myself in similar situations, but I knew that I had noone to blame but myself for not being properly thorough.

We implemented the same safety rule as Atlanta Conservation Club that shooters must attend the Shooters Meeting in order to make sure that all shooters hear our safety briefing. We implemented the cutoff in order to be 100% consistent, whether the shooter is our best friend or our worst enemy. As one of the Match Directors, it has been a big help, because it ensures our competitors have heard the rules, and know how to compete in a safe manner. It also ensures that we don't get pressure from folks who are arriving late to redo the entire Shooters Meeting just for them after the match has already started. This is especially hard to accommodate because the RO's are responsible for watching their squad and ensuring that the match runs safely and smoothly.

Regarding the tone with which this is presented, we do our best to be as gentle as possible when informing a shooter that they have missed the cutoff, but we stand firm in our conviction that a shooter must be on time if they are going to shoot and we enforce the rule the same for new folks walking in off the street as we do for Board Members or even Match Directors.

What Chizzle said. We are 100% even in our application of our set rules and some folks don't like that. I would say I'm sorry but I can't because I'm not. I am sorry that you feel you were wronged, but I assure you you were not.

Being on time is not asking too much. Everyone had to deal with the traffic and construction and the other people made it on time.

Coach is wise.

One last thing to Jeremiah and anyone else who encounters a problem related to MCFG;
    My contact info (cell#) is listed on the contact page of MCFG. If you get lost looking for the club or have any other club related issue, please feel free to call me and I'll help you the best I can.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Well I went. But between lafayette construction, Indy construction, The very clear directions on MCFG's website, and the big sign I was able to arrive promptly at 6:02. listen to the shooters meeting, and then be told I was S.O.L.

Since registration starts at 5:30, and the shooter meeting at 6:00 per the rules on the website, am I safe to assume that registration run until 6:00? So what exactly did I miss in two minutes?

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Since registration starts at 5:30, and the shooter meeting at 6:00 per the rules on the website, am I safe to assume that registration run until 6:00? So what exactly did I miss in two minutes?

The registration deadline

I've been in that scenario many a time myself. It sucks, but it is the rules.
    I would place a pretty hefty bet that I have been late more than anyone....

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville

You also would have been disappointed in that you can't run3-5 guns. The club allows you to sign up one gun in one classification. On rare occasions when there is low attendance, the club allows a 2nd gun. If you sign up for production you are expected to run the same gun for the match. Can't mix and match Glocks. The range is the place to figure out which is the keeper, not a competition. I would not want to be on the squad that has to wait for you to sort thru all that hardware.

It's not about the money. This is a volunteer organization. Not a commercial business.

As you admit you could have been better prepared, paid more attention to details and overall done a better job. Why blame the club?

Overall I think the club is better off without your ego.

Top Bottom