Who is John Galt? Bakery forced to bake same-sex wedding cake stops baking cakes

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    I want to abolish it all as well. Truth is too many love the government gun when they get to be the one pointing it.

Ah okay. I had assumed you were on the opposite side and were using these incidences of hypocrisy to explain why this was all okay and we should shut up. It's a common tactic.

I don't dispute your observation.

Another reason to oppose these laws is that yes, once you get the ball rolling, every group expects to be catered to.

There are very few principled enough to accept freedom for both the good and the bad.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    no, but political correctness usually does!

My point exactly. Anywhere there is any wiggle room (and occasionally when there isn'), if one is part of even a marginally protected class (especially if they tend to issue fatwa's and and kill people ie Rushdie and Van Gough) Liberals tend to compromise their so called principles and head for the safer ground.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    So the baker doesn't want to bake a cake for some gay people because it violates his beliefs? Sounds fine to me. His business.

But I am curious. Does he refuse to bake wedding cakes for those who fornicate, who commit sodomy, who have committed adultery, have children out of wedlock, etc? Is there a pre-bake screening? :laugh:

Personally, I'd take anyone's money to bake cakes. Why let the competition get an advantage? But again, his business his rules.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    So the baker doesn't want to bake a cake for some gay people because it violates his beliefs? Sounds fine to me. His business.

But I am curious. Does he refuse to bake wedding cakes for those who fornicate, who commit sodomy, who have committed adultery, have children out of wedlock, etc? Is there a pre-bake screening? :laugh:

Personally, I'd take anyone's money to bake cakes. Why let the competition get an advantage? But again, his business his rules.
    Again, his business, his rules! No matter if they fornicate missionary in the standard man woman sense, or they do the same in the penis wrong hole variety. It shouldn't matter as it's HIS business to run or run into the ground!

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Again, his business, his rules! No matter if they fornicate missionary in the standard man woman sense, or they do the same in the penis wrong hole variety. It shouldn't matter as it's HIS business to run or run into the ground!

i agree. i just had a thought and it made me lol

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I personally, as a business owner, refuse to do business with anyone who thinks that I can be changed. As an example, I price my wares in line with the "big guys", and add on for shipping, just as they do. The difference comes when that semi truck shows up with the big guys' wares, the customer has to unload and set it up. My company does all that for them. When they say, I can buy this from X vendor for the same price, I tell them to go ahead and do that, because when it gets there you still have to take it off the truck, put it together, and get it where it needs to be. If they still think that barter is on the table, I tell them to buy from the other guy. MY BUSINESS, MY RULES! If anyone tells me I have to sell to anyone I don't want to, I will shutter my business, fire my employees, and go do something else. Again, SCREW anyone that thinks that they have a right to do business with me on their terms!

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Pattycake, pattycake, baker's man
    Bake me a cake on the top put a man
    Roll it and pat it and mark it with a G
    And put it in the can for my boy and me

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I don't mind being forbidden because I carry; I'll just go somewhere else. The owner of the business should make that decision based on his own economic calculations and morality. There shouldn't be all this crap with putting up signs for lawyers or insurance, and it should be advertised. If making his customers vulnerable is so important to him, so be it. I'd think most would tend not to forbid carry on a purely rational basis. Forcing him by law to accept carriers, however, strips his rights. The baker should likewise be able to select his clients. If he doesn't want to participate in ceremonies for homos or miscegenators or pedophiles or paraphiliacs or whatever, he should just be able to say "no, I'm not doing it, find someone else." and there should be no further discussion. Once again, economic calculations and morality. Using lawfare to force him to do it is equivalent to slavery.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I don't mind being forbidden because I carry; I'll just go somewhere else. The owner of the business should make that decision based on his own economic calculations and morality. There shouldn't be all this crap with putting up signs for lawyers or insurance, and it should be advertised. If making his customers vulnerable is so important to him, so be it. I'd think most would tend not to forbid carry on a purely rational basis. Forcing him by law to accept carriers, however, strips his rights. The baker should likewise be able to select his clients. If he doesn't want to participate in ceremonies for homos or miscegenators or pedophiles or paraphiliacs or whatever, he should just be able to say "no, I'm not doing it, find someone else." and there should be no further discussion. Once again, economic calculations and morality. Using lawfare to force him to do it is equivalent to slavery.
    Along with that, I will add my own hypocritical views, even under color of law, I generally ignore "no firearms" signs. What they don't know, will likely not kill me.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Should a black baker refuse to make cakes for the local KKK group?

Should a Jewish bakery be made to make cakes for the local NAZI groups?
    Equating gays and lesbians to hate groups? A better question would be a black baker refusing to make a cake for white people (or yellow or red). Or jews refusing to do business with christians or buddhists.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy

Let's be fair here, a black baker was born black, whereas a Nazi wasn't born a Nazi.

These situations aren't exactly comparable.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

Let's be fair here, a black baker was born black, whereas a Nazi wasn't born a Nazi.

These situations aren't exactly comparable.
    I would tend to disagree, each example is placing someone that doesn't believe in something, or has or may have a strong opinion of something, at the mercy of the one thing they don't believe in, condone, against their religion, or whatever.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Point being, why should a black baker be forced to bake for the KKK? Or, why should a Jewish baker be forced to bake a cake for the local Nazi party? It's the same as forcing a person with strong anti-gay beliefs to bake a gay wedding cake.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    It is complete and utter bullshot that the state mandate with whom a private enterprise must do business.

Top Bottom