• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Just watched it. Did they ever pull contestants out in previous seasons? I really like this show, and the contestants are just getting better.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't remember any getting pulling from previous seasons for getting too skinny, but some of the cuts took people out when it was too deep to patch up in the field. The lady to got her thumb with the axe doesn't have full mobility with it now after surgery.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Yeah, all the more reason the competition is getting better. The contestants can learn from the past seasons. One thing was the gill nets were not used this season, where last season they were all the rage.

Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    I love this show! I do wonder if it is truly all them and no camera crew. It's much better than The Wheel of you've seen that. It really shows one can be knowledgeable but lack of human interaction can truly be your downfall.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Anyone? I feel so Alone.;)

You can catch up on history.com.

It is teams of two. One of them has to hike ten miles through the Vancouver Island Forest with just a compass bearing to find their partners basecamp.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Yeah I'm not a fan of this new format. People getting sent home for injuries before the thing is hardly started is not my idea of long term survival competition.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It does underscore that real survival is more than building fires, bushcraft, and eating grubs and bugs. Avoiding serious injury is way up on the list of survival priorities, but we rarely discuss it.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    It does underscore that real survival is more than building fires, bushcraft, and eating grubs and bugs. Avoiding serious injury is way up on the list of survival priorities, but we rarely discuss it.

Gee, it sounds like this subject is one that you've given a lot of thought towards. Like knife cuts? :):

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Gee, it sounds like this subject is one that you've given a lot of thought towards. Like knife cuts? :):

oh-snap-women-s-t-shirts-women-s-t-shirt.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The wife and I are watching it again this year. Actually, I watch and make fun of them and the wife watches me.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Well, the reason that some of the good ones tapped was that they wanted to see some someone at home. Now that they have a companion, they should be able to last longer. I think the married couple is doing the best right now.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Well, the reason that some of the good ones tapped was that they wanted to see some someone at home. Now that they have a companion, they should be able to last longer. I think the married couple is doing the best right now.
    The wife certainly did the best at working to set up a camp while waiting on her husband. Some of the others were just pitiful... Oh, I will just lay under this tarp and wait for my partner to show up and tell me what to do... there's a plan...

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy

I agree. The married couple has by far the best chances of winning. I would not want to be in that situation with my brother, or my dad, or my friend. My wife would be the best partner for me... and hey, maybe that's why I married her.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I love the show. I kinda preferred the original solo format, but I think this is a pretty cool spin on the concept. After 3 seasons in I expected to see some people tap out early. The young "blacksmith" brothers didn't surprise me at all. They just seemed too soft for something like this, but my hat is off to them for trying because that challenge is no joke. The kid that tapped while waiting on his father was young and I think it all just got to him. I'd be will to bet in a couple years he'd be in a better position to do that. You can only hear stuff outside your tarp for so long before you get rattled. Totally heart breaking to see the one older brother take that nasty fall. I really thought he and his brother had a real chance at winning.

For the husband and wife team, yeah that lady is an absolute superstar. While most of the guys barely had a tarp setup she's practically got a log cabin with a built in fireplace and all the trimmings. If I had to make a bet right now it'd be on them hands down.

Seeing qualified outdoors people slip & fall and get banged up or cut themselves is a pretty solid reality check. Here I am chatting on the internet about it and I've never done anything like that so I really can't and shouldn't judge. I mentioned to my wife, I went out and hiked 5 miles the other night with my pack fully loaded for an upcoming week long backcountry backpacking trip and I did it in an hour and a half. For those guys who I'll easily say are probably better woodsmen/woodswomen than I am to take that many days to hike just 10 miles really speaks to the difficulty of that task. That hike looked absolutely brutal.

One thing for sure though, I'd definitely take any class the husband and wife team ever offered. They've got it figured out.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The people who live "primitive lifestyles" have definitely done better on the show (especially last season), which is to be expected. I think the wife/husband team fall into that category. I think they're level of comfort puts them at a huge advantage. They have less stress overall and "only" have to deal with surviving. The hobbyists have a bigger emotional burden on top of the survival tasks.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The people who live "primitive lifestyles" have definitely done better on the show (especially last season), which is to be expected. I think the wife/husband team fall into that category. I think they're level of comfort puts them at a huge advantage. They have less stress overall and "only" have to deal with surviving. The hobbyists have a bigger emotional burden on top of the survival tasks.

I completely agree with that. I really don't see why the married couple would have to get out of there assuming they can continue to get food & water without injury. They really impressed me.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I don't see as much serious kelp eating as some of the people who did well in the past would do... could just be what is being shown to us though.

Top Bottom