• ...and so much more!
  • DFacres

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    This sphere
    Wow, that is a blast from the past!
    I was stationed at Grissom AFB in the 80s and made many trips there. Bought my 1st bow there and still have the Oneida Screaming Eagle from Lengel’s as well as the hat they gave me.
    F849EE43-B233-49CF-8C63-E35B3620F413.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I needed an 1100 magnum for a present. Don called a contact in Minn and had two of same type sent down.
    Said we could swap stocks or bbls, make one better if need be.
    They were both good, one a little nicer.........same price for either (decent too).

When my kid was born.............I'd take her along to shop.............Mary would swoop her from me :)

Wonderful people. Felt like more than a shop.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Do remember the old Hoyt Pro Hunter 100# hanging as you walked in "Draw at your own risk".
    I'd do it smooth and level and folks were kinda shocked. Then I'd laugh and switch hands and do it again.
    Coworker ended up buying that bow, hunted it at 88#.
    Said it stapled deer to the ground LOL.

Had a Screaming Eagle, two Aeroroforces and two Strike Eagles.
    An Aero would be OK, esp if in Michigan fall camo......if a medium. 50-70#.
    LFM maybe.
    Prices are all over on the old rigs..........understand that on the Black Eagles..........but not prior models.

Last edited:

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    I miss that shop. Pretty sure it closed down before I was able to buy anything but I remember many trips there with my dad over the years. Don sure liked to wheel and deal. Wish there was still places like his around. So many guns. Still drive by there every once in a while when I'm up visiting family near Lagro.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    This thread brings back alot of memories. It was first "job". Setting up targets for 22 and big bore shoots. Later I started sitting in the trap house. I did buy a couple bows from them, nothing great. I was still in high school. That was really a great place. Thanks for starting this thread and keep the memories coming. I was talking to Cathy awhile back and told her how much that placed was missed...but come to think fit, Don was still alive. Damn time flies...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Cathy was a gem.
    Sold my old Blackwidow recurve to Dan.

When I got married my wife got me a Winchester camo ball cap from there.
    I killed a ton of geese, dove and deer wearing that thing.
    Finally fell apart.

:(

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I saved up and bought a Marlin 45/70 there on my 18th birthday. I don't know who was more proud, Don or me. My dad just said "you can buy your own ammo for that thing."

Rong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    NE Indiana
    I remember turning 21 and realizing I could legally buy myself a handgun, so off I went to see Don and bought my "first" handgun! First of many. Loved asking the girls about used guns because they would always say " want to shoot it?" and out back we would go.

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I remember turning 21 and realizing I could legally buy myself a handgun, so off I went to see Don and bought my "first" handgun! First of many. Loved asking the girls about used guns because they would always say " want to shoot it?" and out back we would go.
    Loved asking Don's daughters about ANYTHING! And Don did have a walk out deck in back that had a 200 yard range behind. And if you were looking at a used gun he would hand you some loose ammo and tell you to "go out back and try it". Loved that place!

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    Those ladies knew that if they could talk me into trying a few shots out of a used gun, I would usually end up buying it. It was a great sales tactic.

movinon1998

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2018
    Wabash
    One of the Lengel Girls

This forum is leaving me teary eyed. It was a great joy to out shoot my customers! You guys are all the best. We walked away from the gun shop to give Dad the freedom from it that he was needing. Times changing and all. People got WalMart minded.
    Dad passed away in 2012. It sounds like his legacy has lived on. Love reading all the memories. What a blessing!

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    This forum is leaving me teary eyed. It was a great joy to out shoot my customers! You guys are all the best. We walked away from the gun shop to give Dad the freedom from it that he was needing. Times changing and all. People got WalMart minded.
    Dad passed away in 2012. It sounds like his legacy has lived on. Love reading all the memories. What a blessing!

Your Dad and the entire shop holds a special place in my heart. I purchased several firearms there. Took my wife there to purchase her first handgun. I miss the good old days when a bunch of us, would half a day off of work to drive over to Wabash, just so we could come to your shop.

sgtmack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    I still have several of the guns I purchased there. I've been to gun shops all over the world, and Lengels is the still the standard I judge the rest by.

So far they have all failed the comparison.

movinon1998

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2018
    Wabash
    Wow!

I still have several of the guns I purchased there. I've been to gun shops all over the world, and Lengels is the still the standard I judge the rest by.

So far they have all failed the comparison.

Although that is awesome, it is also sad. There's a new gun shop in downtown Wabash. Very small, but the service and friendly staff there reminded me a lot of the "good ole days" at the shop.

Top Bottom