• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    I've open carried since they day I got my LTCH. The only grief I've ever recieved for it is by my very own family. *sigh* No one else notices, or at least cares.

I think alot of it depends on how you look though, as well. Profiling is a very real, annoying, and serious issue. So if you're Black, Hispanic, or Arabic, or you have a rough or disheveled look, you can expect more scrutiny, no matter how you carry.

I'm 24 now, and have been carrying for a little while. But at the same time, I'm usually in a dress shirt, even if I'm wearing jeans, and I'm fairly clean cut on my best days. The only remarks I've ever gotten about it are how I "look like a cop".

My family on the other hand has mentioned everything from telling me I look like I'm trying to be a cowboy, to my Grandma telling me it's not legal no matter what the law says and that I'm going to jail, all the way up to my dad even refusing to get in the same vehicle as I'm in if I'm carrying, for fear that we'll both be shot on sight by the police. (I really wish I was kidding. :( )

Edit: Btw guys, don't forget to join this group. :P https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/group.php?groupid=76

Last edited:

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    My family on the other hand has mentioned everything from telling me I look like I'm trying to be a cowboy, to my Grandma telling me it's not legal no matter what the law says and that I'm going to jail,

Well, it is grandma, after all! ...wow ...you go, grandma! :yesway: :D

...I can't even remember my 20's. :dunno:

I didn't start carrying until much later and find a lot of what has been mentioned rings true for older people as well. Show some maturity, be polite, dress the part. People generally leave you alone if you don't give them reason to take notice.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Been OCing since I got my license back in '09. I have CCed with my Glock, but was paranoid that someone see it so now I stick to OC. I'm now 24, have never had to talk to the police about why I have a gun and only asked to take the gun to the car one time. YMMV

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The best advice I can give is know your rights, know the laws, know the case law, and be ready to exercise them at all times! It is not hard to know more about carry laws than cops and the fact that you have a LTCH and know that OC is legal shows you already know more than an average Hoosier.

IF you are hassled it helps to know exactly where you stand. Private property, public property, rules associated with both etc. Research everywhere you go for the first time! Look for signs, even though it is not necessarily illegal to carry into a SIMON mall or similar place that bans guns it will help keep you from looking like a moron if they ask you to leave. If it is not posted be polite, and just leave. Don't argue that it isn't posted anywhere because it does not have to be. Same with arguing with a cop at the side of the road- not worth it! Take it up with managers, supervisors, senior officers later.

Hope this helps, all of it is from personal experience and if you have any other questions I will be happy to help. Glad to have another OCer join the ranks!

BTW I was 24 when I started OCing.

rightwinger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Mother Indiana
    im 21 and do carry around a larger college too, i tend to CC when on campus im not sure what the law says towards firearms on college campus. But ive never had a problem

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    im 21 and do carry around a larger college too, i tend to CC when on campus im not sure what the law says towards firearms on college campus. But ive never had a problem

This is what I mean when I say it is your responsibility to know ALL of the laws associated with carrying a weapon in public. PLEASE know the laws!!! If you do not then look them up! If you can't find them or don't understand them then ASK!!! It is your responsibility.

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    This is what I mean when I say it is your responsibility to know ALL of the laws associated with carrying a weapon in public. PLEASE know the laws!!! If you do not then look them up! If you can't find them or don't understand them then ASK!!! It is your responsibility.

Agreed.

I OC and CC depending on what I'm doing and where I'm going. Have since I was 18, (21 now) I've gotten all sorts of comments and such, But its normally some paranoid person that happens to notice and mumbles something along the lines of "those kids have guns" to his/her friends/family/ people with them. Just know the law, and know the rules about where you are. I always glance at the "mall rules" and whatnot if i go to a mall or somewhere new to me. Many say No Weapons, and its just easier for me to CC, then deal with a conversation with one of the rent-a-cops. :twocents:

(Before everyone jumps the gun,I know the renties have zero legal power and I can basically tell them to go pound sand, BUT I prefer to be on good terms with everyone, especially people that work places I frequent.)

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited:

Fishe39392

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm 25, but started OCing at 23 when I got my LTCH and first handgun. Ive never had any problems at all. When I'm out and about while OCing, I act like anyone else in the area, the only difference being I just so happen to be carrying a gun.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Thanks for all the info everyone! Makes me feel a lot better about OC'ing! :ingo:

I've decided I would rather carry my 96FS over my 1911. Anyone recommend a good OC holster for a lefty? I would possibly like a holster with a spare mag pouch so I can carry an extra mag on me as well. I'll feel a lot better carrying .40 S&W over "wussy" .380. ;) Bring on the ol' "small in the pants" jokes! :rolleyes::D

Top Bottom