• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all the advice, especially to theledwarehouse for giving me such a thorough rundown of the different pluses and minuses of some of the most popular brands of flashlights. As much as my wallet begs me to stick with a budget brand, this part has really helped to seal this decision:
    For personal use: I carry a Surefire back up in silver. It's a nice small light with a lot of power due to the TIR lens. It also has a very useful low mode which I find myself using more than the high mode. I do like lights with a click switch which this has. I picked the silver color because it's a little easier to see if you drop it in the dark. Mine is about two years old now and still going strong without any issues.

Of all the brands out there, I'm sure you could carry whatever you want... And yet you've got a surefire. It's also made in America, which is important to me. I like to support American-made products whenever I can. Furthermore, I can't imagine buying a flashlight that requires this much tom-foolery just to choose my level of light output:
    4seven quark how-to

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    If you're coming up to the 1500 gun show, there is normally a guy & his wife out of Illinois, that have a big Sure-Fire display and good prices. The 7 or 8 we've purchased over the last few years have come from him. I'll try to find his name over the weekend.... Greg/Grizhicks

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Furthermore, I can't imagine buying a flashlight that requires this much tom-foolery just to choose my level of light output:
    4seven quark how-to

That 'tom-foolery' can let you adapt your light for a specific situation - walk in a bad neighborhood, searching for a lost pet, or a dim light for searching for in-house items at night or during a power outage, and still leave you a second, constant, usable bright light as your twist choice.

It's like, the best thing ever, but yes, you have to think about what you may be doing just a bit. It takes about 20 seconds to set up. I run mine on low/turbo and switch to the strobe/turbo if I take a walk at night. Lots of dogs around, and other two legged creatures.

Seriously, it's so easy. I love my Quark123 Tac. I own an E2DL as well, and that sits. The tactical gets my EDC vote.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Surefire rocks. I have several, and live in Bloomington if you are completely unfamiliar with them and want to check something out prior to buying. For daily carry, I favor the E2DL. I've carried one daily for the last several years, and have had nothing but success. I also really like the twist lock models, such as the Z2L. The E2DL has more of a spot beam, where as the Z2L is a flood. One really nice thing about the Z2 though, is the combat grip. Great choice if you might pair it with a handgun sometime, especially used with a V70 holster.

If you can afford a Surefire, I would recommend doing it and not looking at something cheaper. I've owned stuff from most of the other big brands out there, and Surefire is the only one I haven't had fail.

The 1500 is an awesome place to handle to handle a ton of lights, and there is one next weekend. The only other local place I can think of is the Mens Toy Box (pretty sure that's what it's called) in downtown Nashville.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Surefire rocks. I have several, and live in Bloomington if you are completely unfamiliar with them and want to check something out prior to buying. For daily carry, I favor the E2DL. I've carried one daily for the last several years, and have had nothing but success. .

Nice of you to offer to help out a fellow INGOer tradertator! I will throw my hat into this ring as well. Seymour is not far from Bloomington and I own both the E2DL and an LX2. Would be happy to let the OP play with both. They are almost identical in size. I have carried the E2DL everyday for over a year and it is a very solid light. I just recently bought the LumaMax and my wife uses it. If had to choose one of these I would go with the LumaMax LX2. It is a very nice light!

Top Bottom