• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ripper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Earth
    Who uses eBay anymore? I feel they've priced themselves out of the online auctions because of fees for eBay then hitting you on the backend with PayPal.

I use to sell a lot on eBay, but they kept cutting into profits with increased fees, now I don't even buy on there. It was a tough transition at first, not going to
    eBay to check price or listing items to make a few bucks, but I pretty much all but forgot about them now. (Ironic that I'm making a post about them right?)

I only mention this because recently everyone is trying to sell AR mags and parts and got to thinking, how much profit are the really making? They could have sold it here or elsewhere for less to someone that truly wanted it for their own use (hard to prove I know) and probably still pocketed a better profit for themselves.

Amazon's where it's at now anyway!

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I have bought a few items over the years, but not recently. I don't think I would use them to sell items. Between their anti-gun policies and their close association with PayPal and their anti-gun policies, I'd just as soon avoid them if I can.

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    I still sell some hard to find gun items on ebay. I also will buy my out of state grandchildren their birthday gifts and have them direct shipped.

downrise14

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    NWI
    I still purchase things on ebay, but I haven't sold anything on there in a while. Sellers fees are to high and like you said they hit you on the back end with paypal.

Ripper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Earth
    I really have become an Amazon junkie! No bidding, prices are just as good if not better and returns are super easy!

I've even started selling on Amazon and that's even easier since you can ship the item to Amazon for them to store, then pack and ship to the buyer. this also allows your customers to take advantage of their Prime memberships and Amazons crazy low shipping rates.

Rand60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    On the buying side I think eBay is still very easy to use. I have not sold much of anything over the years. Looks like most of the sellers are power sellers With high-volume sales. I guess it's like anything else. If their fees for selling continue to go out they will start to lose business. The law of supply and demand will drive that back down.

LowerSW

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    Lower Southwest Indiana
    I still sell on E-bay all the time.
    The key is to be selective on what you sell. Sure the cost eat into the profits but sometimes you just cannot beat the range of buyers that you have access to.
    Last month I sold a 1 1/2" tall mouse collectable that I purchased at a auction for over $300.00. It ever had a chip on the ear and I paid $1.00 for a entire flat of collectables.

Currently, sellers get the shaft on ebay and the buyers hold all the cards.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I buy from ebay from time to time. Typically it's stuff that's hard to find around here, gifts I want sent to people, some reloading stuff that's dirt cheap, a cool tshirt here and there. :)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've only ever bought there, and not so much anymore. Tried to sell one thing, but the [bad word]s canceled it even though it wasn't in any violation. I have well over 2000 feedbacks from buying, but they've screwed the feedback system up so much I won't use that unless somebody does something exceptional, and I think they've biased it so much toward buyers all the sellers are afraid not to bleed out lest they be downgraded. It used to be fun, but I default to "buy it now" these days. Yes, there's a reason people call it "feebay". Ruined a good thing.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I still buy stuff on there, but never sold much. I was dying for a certain die cast toy, but it rarely appeared on an auction, always a way over priced buy it now. Finally picked one up a month ago. I agree that it's used too much as a storefront anymore.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    It's a catch 22. There are some things that just would be tough to sell without ebay, but golly do they take a big ole bite out of what you sell.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have quite a few transactions over the years but they have become much less frequent since so many have set up business's to sell new stuff. I liked it for used stuff.

For new, I buy from Amazon. They allow returns and the pricing is as good or better.

gklatv

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    I too still buy things on eBay occasionally but it's usually small stuff like cell phone cover or screen protector and such.
    I never was selling frequently before, and still sell a thing or two every other month.
    Yes, the fees eat into the final figures. However, sometimes it's better to make a few bucks that just have things laying around.

Ripper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Earth
    I think my reasoning for not selling on eBay is that I can sell the same item on Craigslist for less money than what I'd need to sell it on eBay for to clear the same profit. Win win for me and customer. I can still take credit cards with square and never have to deal with shipping!

Now you have a new problem though, Craigslist nazis and scammers! But if you have multiple accounts you can beat the flagging nazi types and I only list with a hidden email (unable to email me through Craigslist) and instead offer a phone number for contact. I don't give the area code because if you are in Fort Wayne you should know it and this pretty much stops BS calls! I also only use a google voice phone number as my contact, so that if I do get a crazy I can log on and block their number. The next time they call they get a number disconnected message.:dunno::D

This and Amazon have broke my eBay addiction! Now I have an Amazon addiction...

Hosted

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Albion
    I'll buy some things on there now and then. By far the best place to buy phone accessories and stuff like that. I don't sell much on there anymore though, doesn't seem worth it after all the fees.

Top Bottom