Who was toughest sumbich American to ever live?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    There have many military servicemembers that have risked life and limb to save another so its hard to pick just one. My choice is the plain jane street cop. They are targets for the scum of the earth every day and in some places every minute.

We as soldiers have to deal with it for just a small part of our lives compared to those fine men and women. They are looking death in the face every day. I mean really, any job you have to wear a bulletproof vest to work-is definately dangerous.

The police officers deserve as much and really even more credit than we do and that my vote!

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Uhhh, I think we may be forgetting someone...

43 posts and no one has mentioned Jesus Christ?

That man endured one of the worst tortures known to man and didn't even think about submitting.

John Wayne " The Duke"

BTW, movie star toughness =/= real toughness.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You guys all seem to interpret "tough" as "heroic/tough" in a military sense or in a tough fighter sense. With no disrespect to the heroic individuals mentioned, none of their records even come close on the "tough" scale to really tough people.

My #1 pick is Donald Wyman. He's the bulldozer operator from Pennsylvania whose leg was crushed and trapped under a big tree. He knew he wasn't going to get help in time, so he tied a bootlace around his leg above the injury, then used his pocket knife to sever the lower part of his own leg above where it was caught under the tree. At this point, I should mention that he used his knife to clear crap from the treads of his dozer, so it was not sharp. When I saw him TV talking about it, he said he rubbed it on a rock to get it as sharp as he could.

THEN, after he cut off his own freakin' leg with a dull pocket knife, he crawled about 30 yards to another bulldozer, climbed onto it, and drove to his truck. His truck had a clutch, so he used the handle of a tool (I think it was a sledghammer or an axe) to work the pedal and drove himself to the first house he found for help.

That's a kind of tough that goes beyond . . . just about anything. There are a few others who have done similar things since, but the guy who did it first (I think) wins.

I'd also have to give a nod to anyone who survived something like the Bataan Death March, a prison camp in Vietnam or WWII Germany, etc. That's pretty damn tough.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Ah - so you did. But he is in my signature line. Semper Fi!

I'm sure glad that you clarified your sig line because I thought that you were referring to this "Chesty"

Chesty+Morgan+in+DEADLY+WEAPONS+_1975_.jpg

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    You guys all seem to interpret "tough" as "heroic/tough" in a military sense or in a tough fighter sense. With no disrespect to the heroic individuals mentioned, none of their records even come close on the "tough" scale to really tough people.

My #1 pick is Donald Wyman. He's the bulldozer operator from Pennsylvania whose leg was crushed and trapped under a big tree. He knew he wasn't going to get help in time, so he tied a bootlace around his leg above the injury, then used his pocket knife to sever the lower part of his own leg above where it was caught under the tree. At this point, I should mention that he used his knife to clear crap from the treads of his dozer, so it was not sharp. When I saw him TV talking about it, he said he rubbed it on a rock to get it as sharp as he could.

THEN, after he cut off his own freakin' leg with a dull pocket knife, he crawled about 30 yards to another bulldozer, climbed onto it, and drove to his truck. His truck had a clutch, so he used the handle of a tool (I think it was a sledghammer or an axe) to work the pedal and drove himself to the first house he found for help.

That's a kind of tough that goes beyond . . . just about anything. There are a few others who have done similar things since, but the guy who did it first (I think) wins.

I'd also have to give a nod to anyone who survived something like the Bataan Death March, a prison camp in Vietnam or WWII Germany, etc. That's pretty damn tough.
    Wyman did that to save his own life. Lieutenant Bobo (and many other MOH recipients) did what he did to save his Marine's life, and gave up his own.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Anyone serving or having served in the United Sates Armed Forces. Some may think that is a "cop out", but in my opinion people who are willing to serve this country and the hardships they have to endure to do that for minimal pay and reward are great TOUGH Americans (whether in time of war or peace). :patriot:

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Ive got a couple that I can't choose from really....

First one would be [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Joseph Kittinger, who WAS the first man in space. The Russians had the first man orbit the Earth (mind you in 1960, 100,000+ ft was considered spare).

On August 27, 1960, a U.S. Air Force captain, Joseph Kittinger, Jr., set a world record for the highest balloon ascent, reaching an altitude of 102,800 feet (31,333 meters) in the Excelsior III.

At the end of his ascent, he jumped out of his gondola and parachuted to the ground. That descent set another record for the longest parachute freefall
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]four minutes and 36 seconds[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]—[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]before his main parachute opened at 18,000 feet (5,486 meters).

During his descent, he reached speeds of up to 614 miles per hour (1,149 kilometers per hour), approaching the speed of sound without an aircraft or space vehicle. He fell through air temperatures as low as minus 94 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 70 degrees Celsius).

Second one would be my wife's great grandfather, SGT. York from WWI. Look him up if you don't know who Im talking about. One bad SOB right there.

Third would be *AW CRAP I CAN'T REMEMBER HIS NAME* but he was in WW2, and decorated. What makes him stand out? The guy was possibly 5 foot tall, and kicked a number of German asses on his own. I don't remember the whole story. Any body help me out with who Im thinking of during WW2?

Last would be my great great^10 family member - Sam Houston. Alamo. Need I say more?

[/FONT]

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The toughest person that I knew personally was my father. That man walked around for about a month with a ruptured appendix. He was going to the chiropractor because his back was hurting. He was 5'11" and wore a size 13 class ring in school. He had a massive frame for his height. He got so bad he could barely walk. We finally got him to go to the doctor and they found his appendix had ruptured. They asked him on a scale of 1-10, what was his level of pain and he would say 3 or 4. They drained gang green out of him for days. They operated and found his cancer. They removed what they could and put him on chemo. He beat it after chemo and radiation. A couple years later it came back.

2 years ago, his tumor wrapped around his colon and they gave him a few days to live. They refused to do surgery. They quit all fluids and nutrition because it was coming right back up. After a couple of days, he started getting better and eventually went to a nursing home and back home. About 9 months later, his tumor cut off his colon again. They finally did surgery this time and removed about a gallon and a half of fluid and 20 pounds of his tumor. I saw him in the intensive care afterword and I told him he looked like he gave birth to triplets as he basically did. They sent him home 5 days or so after his surgery and gave him a script for some good pain killers. I found out after he died that he never took the first one of them. I was going through his meds and saw the bottle and counted them.

Another 3 months go by and he's in bad shape again. He got to where he couldn't even sit up on his own and was going in daily for fluids. His abdomen was just filling up with fluids. He went to the hospital and the doctors tried to get him on a morphine drip and he refused the whole time. About 3 days before he died, he finally gave up because he refused to accept that he was dying. His doctor went ahead and put him on the drip without telling him. That man hid the pain. You knew he was in pain but he would never admit it or complain about.

He was the toughest sumbich American I've ever personally known.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    hornadylnl
    We must be related. Sounds like my dad. He had umpteen cancers and never complained. He'd have a bladder cancer tumor burned out (no incision - hint hint) and be playing golf in the afternoon.

About as close as I come is I never get numbed for all the dental work I have done. They can drill my teeth to the gumline and I just take it. Nothing special. Just got my teeth knocked out and thought it was not that bad so always tell them no numbing.

But, our dads would have been birds of a feather. I still think some of the fine tuffsumabiches listed here very worth mentioning and I have learned a lot from this thread.

Keep 'em coming!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom