• paulgl26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    MOKENA
    Leave in car or unload and take inside
    Once you get inside load and holster the gun
    Or pay $600 and get an Illinois licence than you'll be able to carry outside your car :-)

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Leave in car or unload and take inside
    Once you get inside load and holster the gun
    What if one doesn't want to leave in car or unload? What should they do then? Or what about those times when one is with family but not at the family's residence, like say a grocery store?

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    $300 for aplication + 16 hours of training around $200 +$55 finger prints or you wait an extra 30 days for permit
    What if I have NRA Basic pistol under my belt, then only 8 hours training required right? So it will be costly, which I hate, like I mentioned in previous post. But like I also mentioned, I spend considerable amount of time there because that is where my family is. So for those of us with family there, should we avoid IL because of this crappy law or not carry? Or should we get the license and carry (including off property, like the grocery store) even if it does cost a lot of money?

paulgl26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    MOKENA
    You still need 12 hours with the Nra. I had Utah so I payed 175 for training
    The aplication is 300 for non resident
    I assume you have a gun and holster so you decide if it is worth or not

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    You still need 12 hours with the Nra. I had Utah so I payed 175 for training
    The aplication is 300 for non resident
    I assume you have a gun and holster so you decide if it is worth or not
    I have both NRA basic pistol and a Utah Permit. I thought this drops the training requirement down to 8 hours, but if I am wrong then I stand corrected. To me, yes it is worth it. To others, I cannot speak for them. The OP was asking who will get an IL license to carry and I for one will, if the law allows it.

Edit: To answer the OP's question of whether or not I think the killings will go up or down, I do not know. I don't think the CCW law will make a difference, at least not in the first year. I know that those who will apply for one will be much less likely to cause any of the murders than those thugs who have no respect for the law as it is.

Last edited:

paulgl26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    MOKENA
    If you have Utah the you only need 8 hours
    I even payed for prints because I want the permit yesterday :-)
    It realy depends on your finances
    It was around $400 for me and I wouldn't think twice about the money
    Wife already scheduled her training
    I know there are a lot of business that will post a no carry sign but there are a lot that will not and they will get my money

dreamer56

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Next door in Illinois
    Signed up for mine but I live here :( The digital fingerprints are optional for residents - if you don't submit them you wait 30 extra days for your license. Not sure about those across the border.

Overall it is a lousy law with lots of problems. ISRA took the position of getting what we can now and fixing it later - unfortunately as we all know that really rarely works in the political arena. Stay safe.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Signed up for mine but I live here :( The digital fingerprints are optional for residents - if you don't submit them you wait 30 extra days for your license. Not sure about those across the border.

Overall it is a lousy law with lots of problems. ISRA took the position of getting what we can now and fixing it later - unfortunately as we all know that really rarely works in the political arena. Stay safe.
    Considering what most people were expecting for a law, it seems to me that it came out pretty good. Hopefully they can get it made better in the future after the streets don't run with blood.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    What if I have NRA Basic pistol under my belt, then only 8 hours training required right? So it will be costly, which I hate, like I mentioned in previous post. But like I also mentioned, I spend considerable amount of time there because that is where my family is. So for those of us with family there, should we avoid IL because of this crappy law or not carry? Or should we get the license and carry (including off property, like the grocery store) even if it does cost a lot of money?
    Not sure why others care if you get the license or not. :dunno:

If you want to get it, get it.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I am from Illinois and am NRA certified to teach Basic Pistol and ISP certified as a CCW instructor. A couple posts are not correct but it is understandable because confusion was written into the law. At this point in time Indiana is not listed as similar laws to be eligable to get a non-resident permit. However it does look promising because 27 Indiana instructors are approved. Anyone applying from Illinois or a non-resident can "grandfather" up to eight hours of training of the required 16 hours. No matter what or where you are from you must take eight hours minimum. Military service qualifies for eight hours as does the NRA Basic Pistol, PPITH and PPOTH. A Utah permit is good for four hours as is Florida and a couple others.

https://www.isp.state.il.us/appriss/ccw/CCWPriorTrainingCredit.pdf

Jim.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I am from Illinois and am NRA certified to teach Basic Pistol and ISP certified as a CCW instructor. A couple posts are not correct but it is understandable because confusion was written into the law. At this point in time Indiana is not listed as similar laws to be eligable to get a non-resident permit. However it does look promising because 27 Indiana instructors are approved. Anyone applying from Illinois or a non-resident can "grandfather" up to eight hours of training of the required 16 hours. No matter what or where you are from you must take eight hours minimum. Military service qualifies for eight hours as does the NRA Basic Pistol, PPITH and PPOTH. A Utah permit is good for four hours as is Florida and a couple others.

https://www.isp.state.il.us/appriss/ccw/CCWPriorTrainingCredit.pdf

Jim.

What do you get in the other eight hours that PPITH or PPOTH doesn't cover or is it range time etc.?

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Mostly information on laws, and where you cannot carry, a lot of places. There is also gun handling skills including basic safety and drawing from concealment. There is the required qualification which is 10 rounds shot from three distances each, 5 yards, 7 yards and 10 yards. This is on a B-27 target and counts as long as you hit in the black at least 21 out of the 30 rounds. So this will be a repeat of what you have learned in the NRA classes with the added discussion of the laws. My personal opinion after you have taken an NRA class or have veteran status the extra required class should be no more than three hours to teach what the laws say. But we must remember this is Illinois and they just had to invent the wheel. Jim.

Top Bottom