• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jndturner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2013
    Noblesville, IN
    S I have a home office for days when I am not on the road working. I travel quite a bit as part of my job but enjoy the days when i am in my home office working on various projects and webinars. My desk is a cheap IKEA model that I got a few years ago. It works but is not the greatest. I’m planning on finishing part of our basement into my gun room/ office as time and funds permit. When that is done I will end up with a nicer desk.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Definitely certain skills required to work remote. If you are easily distracted, not a self-starter, and can't manage your time well, it is not for you. If you need live human interaction, it is not for you.

Total introvert? Work better with computers than people? Strong time management skills? Can focus on important tasks for long stretches? Have a work location free from extraneous noise (barking dogs and crying babies)? Remote may work for you.

Funny thing... we just moved about a dozen folks from a regional office to remote. Turns out:
    - one of them didn't even have internet. Uh... that is kinda required.
    - another couldn't stand "being alone" and begged to come back to the office... after 2 days.
    - The rest think it is the most awesome thing ever.

The absolute BEST thing about remote work: if you have phone and internet, it simply doesn't matter where you are. I had one consultant work for 3 months in Costa Rica. Another spent 3 months visiting various family around the US, and worked full days wherever she was. A project manager is currently visiting her mom in California, and I can't even tell the difference.

A lot of this sounds familiar eldirector. I've been teleworking (officially) every-other Friday for about 8 years. I have the flexibility to telework as needed if my Dad has a Doc appointment, I can be at work longer from home than from the office.

I could not (repeat: COULD NOT) telework every day. I need the interaction with other people and the cat doesn't count. I get a lot done when I work from home, but I couldn't do it every day.

When I telework, on Outlook and Skype I'm lit up green like I'm in the office. Often people don't know if I'm there or not. I always put the out of office blurb which does show up on Skype, very few pay attention.

Don't have Internet, ok that's FUNNY! My work has minimum standards of performance (for the individual and Internet connectivity) to telework. Hillbilly dial up (AKA 28.8kb) won't work.

I'm one-deep at my job. Being able to have remote access to work even if we're on vaca in Florida is essential. It's a force-multiplier, but it's not for everyone.

jakeep

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Plainfield
    I work from home but travel for work 40% in the summer. I have a desk that will raise to standing level. My main monitor is a curved 36” with 2-22” stacked on the right side. I’m right in front of my
    office window so I can check nature out all day as were along a white lick creek.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I’ve not been able to just telework, but I have done a day or three here and there. This week I worked from home Saturday, Sunday, and Wednesday.

I don’t know if I could do it all the time or not.

Back in 2009, I worked for a week from my Grandma’s walkout basement when she was diagnosed with cancer. We even did a major cutover while I was two states away. Strangest work days, I would work from 7AM to Noon, then from 7PM to Midnight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Have an office at the airport but set one up at home for the option. Have 4 employees to manage so always important to interact on site.
    Trying to get the okay to permanently work from home every Friday. Getting some resistance though from upper management.
    Planning to retire in a couple of years so will just stick it out.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Have 4 employees to manage so always important to interact on site.
    I have found I talk with my people MORE often now that we are all remote. You have to intentionally create the team culture you want, as there is no water cooler. We meet WAY more often than teams that are located in an office together. We instant message a LOT, and even have a "social" text message group for all the fun stuff.

Currently, I am in the Indy area, and I have folks in:
    - New Jersey
    - Atlanta
    - Kentucky
    - Colorado
    - Louisiana ( I think. She has been in KY, PA, and Costa Rica in 2019)

And, we work with folks as far away as Chennai, India and Melbourne, Australia. NO frickin' way I am going to an office (45 min. commute) to call someone who is 12-hours offset from me, at either 6AM or 10PM local time.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I agree with Kelly... I get more done when telecommuting but still need office interaction. So- no, I would not prefer to work-from-home 100%. But- yes, I get more done when remote. Less people standing in my office wanting to BS and less 'hey, can you take a look at this' distractions...

sellersdw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Work from home most of the time but have found I get the most work email done when stuck on a plane. Thinking about trading my home office for an uncomfortable chair I barely fit in with a desk the size of a small breadboard. Should put my productivity through the roof

Top Bottom