• ...and so much more!
  • Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Have one that I use mostly spring and fall, but even in the summer if you have a two story house and the upper floor is hot you can open the window in my master bedroom and only takes a minute to cool the second floor to be able to sleep.
    It is definitely worth investing in.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Don't usually see many bugs in attics. Dead mickeys are common.

One attic had hundreds (probably only a couple dozen) of dead pigeons, eggs and couple dozen live birds. Probably the worst 2 days working on a job.

The 2nd story attic access was centered over the stair well to the basement. Once you got in the attic, you had to go up another 10 feet. Then about 30 feet on steel rafters 24 oc to the 2 units.

I didn't move fast those 2 days.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    And in doing my research there's only a few offering that have anything better than R5 rated insulation, so the options are limited.
    Depending on how it's constructed, there's always the possibility of just climbing into the attic in December and throwing a couple layers of fiberglass over it. My family did that with our ceiling fan that exhausted into the attic.

We had very significant ridge vents to get away with attic exhaust and not ducting all the way out, though.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Depending on how it's constructed, there's always the possibility of just climbing into the attic in December and throwing a couple layers of fiberglass over it. My family did that with our ceiling fan that exhausted into the attic.

We had very significant ridge vents to get away with attic exhaust and not ducting all the way out, though.
    Most new models look like this. A fan separated from a plenum box with 8' duct.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Most new models look like this. A fan separated from a plenum box with 8' duct.

1708395147495.jpeg

1708395188350.jpeg

This is how we rolled, yo. Ducting was for sissies.

Loud as hell, though. Ducted is probably a lot more efficient and quiet. You could still pop the flex duct off in the winter and pack some insulation in, if you absolutely needed to, but it's probably not worth the effort compared to those old sheet steel louvers.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    View attachment 334204

View attachment 334205

This is how we rolled, yo. Ducting was for sissies.

Loud as hell, though. Ducted is probably a lot more efficient and quiet. You could still pop the flex duct off in the winter and pack some insulation in, if you absolutely needed to, but it's probably not worth the effort compared to those old sheet steel louvers.

This is the setup that we have. Right at the top of the stairs on the 2nd floor. Works awesome! Great for the mild spring/fall days.

Top Bottom