• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    warsaw
    Im not sure if this is state wide, or just my city, but its against the law to shoot a firearm in city limits, outside of personal defense anyway. We plan to eventually move outside of city limits so we can practice in our backyard. Who here is lucky enough to have a personal range so close? Are there any other rules about that? Im sure its a good idea to shoot in a smart direction, and during daylight hours, and other common sense courtesies, but if neighbors got scared and called the police about gunfire what would happen? Anything? Been curious about this for awhile, but couldnt find any previous posts

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Oh, there're plenty of threads out there. And getting the cops called on you is a disturbingly frequent occurrence. But, generally speaking, as long as you're shooting safely, with a good backstop, and outside of city limits, you're ok

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Both of my neighbors are 300yds+ away (north and south) and my backyard(5acres) is west of my house. I havent had the police called and none have driven by and heard me shooting and decided to "investigate". Ive shot everything from 9mm, .45acp, 223, 308, 8mm, 7.62 x39, x54r, 12ga, 20ga, .22 (yes, I have some. A unicorn delivered them). Not a whole lot the police can do since I am well out of city limits and no laws against shooting in your own backyard.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Where I live in Monroe County, the ordinance reads like this:

"It shall be unlawful for any person or persons to shoot or cause to be shot any firearm, BB gun, pellet gun or similar weapon within the limits of the town. Whoever violates this section commits a class D ordinance violation."

Sheesh...

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I am very fortunate in the location that I live. Its more than 1/4 mile in any direction to a neighbor, and 75% or more of my closest neighbors are also relatives. My walkout basement/garage has a backstop just past the end of my drive, so even in inclimate weather I can still test fire short range by stepping through the door in my reloading room and raising the garage door. In my yard I have out to 100 yards that I can safely shoot anything that I own, and if the urge hits me, I can go across the road and stretch that out to 4-500 yards without any major effort(not shooting across the road, but along the edge of a field that also has a sizeable backstop on the other end)

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Im not sure if this is state wide, or just my city, but its against the law to shoot a firearm in city limits, outside of personal defense anyway. We plan to eventually move outside of city limits so we can practice in our backyard. Who here is lucky enough to have a personal range so close? Are there any other rules about that? Im sure its a good idea to shoot in a smart direction, and during daylight hours, and other common sense courtesies, but if neighbors got scared and called the police about gunfire what would happen? Anything? Been curious about this for awhile, but couldnt find any previous posts
    Yeah, it's a "good idea to shoot in a 'smart'(?) direction"!

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Not yet, but wishfully soon. I'm looking for some off the beaten path acreage out in the country where I an have a nice private camp site and private range, only to be a little homestead later in life when I can afford it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    warsaw
    Not yet, but wishfully soon. I'm looking for some off the beaten path acreage out in the country where I an have a nice private camp site and private range, only to be a little homestead later in life when I can afford it.

Thats a good idea, have a private "range" of your own, and its there waiting for you to invest more into the land whenever you want, in 2 years or 15. I like that

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Thats a good idea, have a private "range" of your own, and its there waiting for you to invest more into the land whenever you want, in 2 years or 15. I like that

Age 25 now, which if you would have asked the 18 year old Lebowski he'd tell you I'd have land and a home by now... well, I decided to travel and not save :( So maybe by 30 I'll have the land and a home of some sort on it!

Stuck renting in the city now. I can't even explain how badly I wanted to test fire a new gun I bought last month when I first got it. Just wanted to walk in the back yard, shoot a magazine into the earth, and come back inside. Neighbors would flip out and cops would be here in no time, though...

The thought of being able to walk out to my backyard and shoot whenever sounds so damn appealing. That's likely when I start to reload, too.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    We can and do. We have also had people call the sheriff on us numerous times. Every time they showed up we invited them to the range. None took us up on it. Finally they got tired of the calls and wouldn't show up or take their time.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    We live out a ways but still have neighbors to the east and west but none north or south open fields. This is our second house and the being able to walk out on the back porch and fire off some rounds was on the "no compromise list". I have invited the neighbors over before I start shooting they have came over a few times to participate but I kinda get the feeling sometimes they think I may be a little nutz when it comes to guns, not dangerous nutz just really like guns nutz. No cops yet though......even after the tannerite:D

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I shoot at my moms house, she has a couple acres, about half an acre of woods rising above the yard by 30', makes a great backstop. The neighbors are close but we've known them all for years, and the young guy that just bought the house next to moms came over last time I was shooting and bs'd for a few minutes.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    I'd imagine the best thing to do if you have neighbors that aren't very.. err.. welcoming of your backyard gunfire is to invite them over for a cookout. Cook some burgers, share some beers. Keep guns out of it. Be friendly. They'll be less likely to complain next time you're shooting.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    We can and do. We have also had people call the sheriff on us numerous times. Every time they showed up we invited them to the range. None took us up on it. Finally they got tired of the calls and wouldn't show up or take their time.

I have had the police come over about four different times now when I am shooting. First time two different agencies showed up. The main officer kept saying it was illegal for me to shoot. I asked him what law I was breaking and he said I needed to talk to his lieutenant because he didn't know.

Same neighbor called again when I went out to function check an AR. This time the deputy informed the guy that I was in the right. Being safe and all that.

The next couple times I was called on was from a second neighbor whom the first contacted. They told the deputy that they were afraid for the safety of their children. I asked if the children had gotten out oftheir yard, crossed over my fence and approached me? Deputy had no response except that this is a quiet area and he would tell them that I was done shooting.

After I informed him that I would shoot safely whenever I wanted to he finally left.

This isn't like I was doing mag dumps in the middle of the night. Just depends on which officer shows up as to how you are treated. The main reason we bought this place was because it was not in town limits.

I sure wish they would keep informing the callers that I am within my rights. Maybe that will stop them. I doubt it though.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I've been out to a friends's property outside any limits and had similar experiences.

Often one of the LEOs would show up, either because they received a call or heard us from the road. We'd pause and unload, have a 5 minute conversation with them (while they saw that we were being safe and were not drunk/high/impaired) and they'd go back to their routine.

If you're shooting often enough, sooner or later word will get around to those on duty and they won't visit anymore.

Most of the time, the people calling about firearm discharges are the same people that don't have any experience or knowledge about guns. They assume, because they would be dangerous with a firearm, that whoever is shooting must also be dangerous.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Most of the time, the people calling about firearm discharges are the same people that don't have any experience or knowledge about guns. They assume, because they would be dangerous with a firearm, that whoever is shooting must also be dangerous.

I think it's because they watch CNN and think the only reason you're back there shooting with your buddies is because you're obviously up to no good and are training to do something horrible. Sadly that's the mindset of some people.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Shoot a couple of mags EVERY SINGLE DAY. Cops generally don't like dumbasses, and after the first few times they have to tell your neighbors that you're not doing anything wrong they'll begin to either become less than friendly to said neighbors, or just stop coming.

Top Bottom