• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Can a CRO deny a challenge to call the RM?

I would think the RM would determine if there was not evidence of a hit, as he's the one who'd do the calibration.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Can a CRO deny a challenge to call the RM?

I would think the RM would determine if there was not evidence of a hit, as he's the one who'd do the calibration.

And why would you call for a calibration on a target that wasn't hit?

I'd call the RM for sure and let him deal with it.

So what happens if the steel wasn't painted between shooters?

Reshoot?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    If the shooter was challenging the score, I would agree. However, he is challenging the calibration without evidence of a hit.

so he would...uh... be challenging the penalty and uh.. would be "dissatisfied" ...

I'm thinking there is no time that a RO can deny a challenge. You can always appeal to the CRO, then RM.

I don't want to flat out post my answer, since others are still probably taking, but this and a few other questions really make you learn the book. :yesway:

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    so he would...uh... be challenging the penalty and uh.. would be "dissatisfied" ...

I'm thinking there is no time that a RO can deny a challenge. You can always appeal to the CRO, then RM.

I don't want to flat out post my answer, since others are still probably taking, but this and a few other questions really make you learn the book. :yesway:

I don't remember the rule number and I don't have my book
    But I am pretty sure that the steel must be hit ,and not fall for the shooter to be able to call for a calibration.
    If there isn't any evidence of a hit on the steel then the call for calibration is denied and the target would be scored as a miss.
    I'm probably wrong ;)

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I looked over the PDF all during lunch and didn't find anything on this part of the question, which is what leads me to believe it's the distraction.

Nobody would call for a calibration if they didn't think they hit it. We are assuming the steel is all painted, even though the book says for level 1 matches it doesn't have to be. Technically, they could both hear the hit and not see evidence if it wasn't painted.

The only place in the book that I see that it couldn't be challenged is metal targets.

The reason I dissagree with C1-6 is that it clearly states "if hit", that would mean both agree it was a hit and didn't fall.

If the RO calls it a miss, and the competator thinks he hit it, then we have a disagreement in scoring, which is covered in the 9.6.* area.

Never give an analyst a rule book... :D

I bet Soonpa could quote the answer off the top of his head.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    This what i got from HQ
    Appendix C1 item 6 states when hit, if there is no evidence of a hit, it does not full fill the calibration process.

John

HE HE HE

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    This what i got from HQ
    Appendix C1 item 6 states when hit, if there is no evidence of a hit, it does not full fill the calibration process.

John

HE HE HE

as deteremined by who? The RO, CRO or RM? Look at 9.6.5 for my logic.

I see NO WHERE that you can't appeal up the chain, except for metal plates.

heh, now I'm gonna have to go home, re-read the question.. .and see how I answered it.

Last edited:

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    This is going to be one of those Benifit of doubt things at a club match but on level 2 and level 3 matches the steel will be painted so there will be evidence of a hit if there has been one. Anyway how can a RO tell you wether or not for sure the shooter shot at that target hes suppose to be watching the shooter not the targets. But when In doubt call the RM thats what hes there for.
    Dont tell me were going to have to start painting all the steel every shooter at the club matches. Cause It aint going to happen your lucky to get pasters up and going.. And alot of the rules are up for interpertation.............Just Saying

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    roger that Mongo, it's just the stupid way they worded the question.

There are really two answers which we've beat to death above.

I would always expect to be able to appeal to the RM. They way they worded it says no.

Barrn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Plainfield
    It is a simple question. The answer is yes or no and referencing the rule(s) to support your answer.

And Hickman-what are you thinking when you try to use "logic" when it comes to rules?:D

Jimbovia

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Plainfield
    Question #6 - 9.6.5 vs 11.1.3

With regard to #6, although 9.6.5 is specific to scoring, 11.1.3 is specific to the challenge/appeal process.

In 11.1.3:

"Appeals – the Range Officer makes decisions initially. If the appellant
    disagrees with a decision, the Chief Range Officer for the stage or area
    in question should be asked to rule. If a disagreement still exists, the
    Range Master must be asked to rule."

Notice they use the word "must" in the last sentence.

Just my interpretation.

Top Bottom