• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I will wait until there is another shortage, so I can cry about people that stocked up during the times of plenty. HOARDERS!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It's probably been longer than I think but it doesn't seem like all that long ago you could buy bricks of Remington or Federals for $8.99 or $9.99.
    I began stocking up in 2007 when I bought my first AR 22 from Spike's Tactical (one of the first to market other than the Ceiner conversions). At that time Federal Bulk Packs were $7.99 and by late 2007 or early 2008 they jumped to $9.99.

Which leads me to this...
    I was a die hard bulk pack shooter. "If it wouldn't shoot Fed bulk pack well, work on it 'till it does."

This summer, I discovered what slightly more expensive standard velocity and lower scale match grade 22 ammo can do, in even an inexpensive rifle.

That's what I'll be stocking up on, as prices creep lower.
    I used to be of the same mindset... until Sandy Hook drove bulk pack prices through the roof. I was sitting on 100k+ rounds of 22 lr, nearly all Federal bulk packs that I bought in 2007/2008. Instead of making the conscious decision that it was "worth it" to go with better ammo, I saw an opportunity to exchange my cheap bulk packs for better quality at no cost to me. I sold off 90k+ rounds of bulk packs at $55-80 per pack on gunbroker. I've bought a few small lots of higher quality match ammo when I find a sale but there are usually limits still. So I'm still waiting for the match ammo prices to fall and availability to increase before I buy a lot. I'm planning to buy 50k+ rounds of SV/HV/Match ammo. In the meantime I still have 10k-15k in bulk packs left that I kept for myself.

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    I would dare say that .02 22s would cost me a lot of money because I would buy the first American 180 MG I could find to burn em up in. Stock pile all the Ammo I could get while I was waiting on the stamp. It would definitely be the cheapest full auto to shoot.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I would dare say that .02 22s would cost me a lot of money because I would buy the first American 180 MG I could find to burn em up in. Stock pile all the Ammo I could get while I was waiting on the stamp. It would definitely be the cheapest full auto to shoot.

Really, any of the guns that can be converted to .22 are cheap to shoot. Not only the American 180's, but there are also the Norrell 10/22s, .22 uppers for M16s, .22 upper for the M11/9 by Lage, etc.

I picked up a discounted CMMG .22 upper from them at Knob Creek a couple years ago to run on my M16. It works pretty well with CCI mini-mags and Rem Thunderbolts (though a 25 round mag empties in nothing flat).

Smithkowitz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2017
    PAC NW
    Best price I ever saw was 25¢ for 50, but that was in 1967 or so, in Northern Wisconsin (I was 10). My brother has a brick (500) he paid like $6.49 for in 1984, still shoots fine; not one failure. The lowest I ever paid for a brick of 525, was about $15.00. That was when Cabela's was selling bulk ammo box 4 packs, for like $59.99. That was in 2008 and the shortage started kicking in. All the ammo started disappearing in the stores, as did many models of firearms. The bulk price seemed to increase by $10 increments 3 months that year. Luckily, the 22LR wasn't the hot item yet, it was mostly the 9 & 45 that was vanishing by me. As time went on, Cabela's somehow had bulk 22LR sales available on-line, but often was in short supply in the store. So I kept buying it on-line, always using a discount coupon on a $100 or more sale (typically $10-20 off). Not sure what year, but it was around 2013, maybe 2012, when the bulk 22LR disappeared on their website. And then the 22LR raping began. I think the highest price I ever saw at a guns how was $125 for a brick!, $95 was common. Yep, 2¢ would be awesome!, best I ever paid was about 3¢ a round. If it can stay around 5¢ or less, I could live with that for the next few years. FYI: my price is always for bulk Federal or Remington (copper plated). Personally, I've had much better luck with the Federal stuff than Remington. I recently tried the Browning stuff, and sadly had around 5 failures in a 100 round pack. I typically have 1 or 2 out of 525 in the Federal bulk packs, but they usually fire on a 2nd try. The Browning failures, would not fire even on a 2nd or 3rd try, total duds.

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    Really, any of the guns that can be converted to .22 are cheap to shoot. Not only the American 180's, but there are also the Norrell 10/22s, .22 uppers for M16s, .22 upper for the M11/9 by Lage, etc.

I picked up a discounted CMMG .22 upper from them at Knob Creek a couple years ago to run on my M16. It works pretty well with CCI mini-mags and Rem Thunderbolts (though a 25 round mag empties in nothing flat).
    I don't own a m16 lower and I think the 275!riund drum is the big draw for me.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We are at 4 cents and slightly below now: https://www.wikiarms.com/group/22LR

Shipping is the killer on a lot of these prices. Gotta search for free shipping.

Brownells is a place to watch, if all the stars align. Specials with unlimited free shipping, combined with an already on sale item.
    Agilla SV Super Extra came in at $.053, to my door. Only had to buy a brick.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I don't own a m16 lower and I think the 275!riund drum is the big draw for me.

Fair enough. I was just pointing out that for the money you'd shell out for an American 180, you could buy other guns that can run in calibers other than .22 as well.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Shipping is the killer on a lot of these prices. Gotta search for free shipping.

Brownells is a place to watch, if all the stars align. Specials with unlimited free shipping, combined with an already on sale item.

Academy Sports has good .22 sales as well. I recently got a brick of Winchester M22 40gr from there for $.053 per round to my door. Runs fine through my S&W Victory 22. Gonna add Brownells to my list of sites to watch for .22 now, thanks :yesway:

EDIT: Just checked and Academy still has .22 on sale for ~$.05 a round and free shipping with no minimum purchase. American Eagle Federal and Federal Champion for just under $.05 shipped and Browning BPR for just under $.06 shipped. I haven't tested the AE Federal or Federal Champion through my Victory, so I might have to order a case of each :)

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Academy Sports has good .22 sales as well. I recently got a brick of Winchester M22 40gr from there for $.053 per round to my door. Runs fine through my S&W Victory 22. Gonna add Brownells to my list of sites to watch for .22 now, thanks :yesway:

EDIT: Just checked and Academy still has .22 on sale for ~$.05 a round and free shipping with no minimum purchase. American Eagle Federal and Federal Champion for just under $.05 shipped and Browning BPR for just under $.06 shipped. I haven't tested the AE Federal or Federal Champion through my Victory, so I might have to order a case of each :)

I picked up a box (1000 rds.) of that M22 from them, and then just got another 500 rds. of Aguila standard velocity for just under .05 per round shipped. Wanted to get some more standard velocity to have on hand for the old Remington rifle I just got.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

True, but I rarely buy less than a case when ordering online. That reduces shipping/rd. If I want a box, I'll go to Walmart.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Just found out that TargetSportsUSA has a "Prime" membership they offer. 8% off all orders, shipping is free for all orders, even when not buying by the case and you get emails with member only deals. $95 per year. I'm on the fence, but will likely get a membership as just with the 6 cases or so of 9mm I will likely buy in the next year, I get close to the cost in savings. Add a few shipments of less than a case and I would easily save over $100. Oh and if you don't save at least the cost of the membership, you get your money back... ;)

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/t-ammoprime.aspx

The 8% off orders isn't listed on the page, oddly enough, but someone who is a member posted that in another thread in the ammo section.

Top Bottom