• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c604

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgantown
    I know I am jumping the gun but I'm ready to start wading the streams. I've never fished for trout but my father in law lives in northern Maine so I'm going to have to learn how to fish for them. I think there is a unwritten rule if you have a fly rod the trout streams call your name.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I know I am jumping the gun but I'm ready to start wading the streams. I've never fished for trout but my father in law lives in northern Maine so I'm going to have to learn how to fish for them. I think there is a unwritten rule if you have a fly rod the trout streams call your name.

"Foam is home."

On a side note, don't overlook fishing for gills and bass with a flyrod. It is very fun. I've switched completely, and the thought of using a bait caster just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

I'm thinking with all the talk of fly fishing, we should plan an INGO trip to the tailwaters for some Indiana trout fishing. Who's in?

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Bass will bite in just about any temp, but once the water gets up to the high 60's, low 70's they will start tearing it up, usually crappie bite first, early spring, then the 'gills, bass about the same time or a little later. bass usually will be in shallower water until it warms up more since that water warms quicker. If its cool, just fish them slow with a finesse technique. I'd be up for getting together to fish, as long as you don't mind if I use my pflueger spinner and nightcrawlers!

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    How warm does it have to get (and stay) for the bass to start biting? As many of you know I am just starting to get back into fishing.

You can fish them year round if you can stand the cold. As stated it all depends on the water
    temperature and that will help you determine your techniques. Checkout half price books in Greenwood they have a couple books in there for beginner Bass Fisherman or an Amazon search. I don't know how far east you are but there use to be a Bass Fishing Club out in New Palestine, In you could maybe join or at least get some tips from.

c604

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgantown
    I have almost switched to only fly fishing. I have cought blue gill, large mouth, small mouth, rock bass, and some decent channel cats on the fly. My best was a 4.5lb channel on a 3wt with a 4x tippet. I located a spot last year off of white river that had some huge gar that I want to catch. They look like they would put up a good fight. It also had some pretty big carp but they just ignored everything I threw at them. :dunno:

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have not had much time to fish in the last few years but I think this year I will make time. Got me a new spot to go check out and I plan on putting in some time on the banks.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I caught a big largemouth last spring, the same week my dad passes away to be exact, it was about a 10 pounder, one hell of a fighter
    53E22C28-A878-48E1-874E-3CA556CCD650-12159-0000036EC4B3C9B3.jpg

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I'm ready for the Crappie to start biting!! Cataract seems to come on first and then Raccoon lake gets good.

A few years ago i was tearing it up below the upper falls at cataract, it was great until it flooded again, then I couldn't catch anything down there.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    :ingo:
    "Foam is home."

On a side note, don't overlook fishing for gills and bass with a flyrod. It is very fun. I've switched completely, and the thought of using a bait caster just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

I'm thinking with all the talk of fly fishing, we should plan an INGO trip to the tailwaters for some Indiana trout fishing. Who's in?

We need to organize something here, there seems to be enough interest.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County

We need to organize something here, there seems to be enough interest.

Definitely. We could go to some local ponds to get a feel for everyone's ability level, share tips, knock the rust off, catch some fish, shoot the bull, try out each others gear before buying, etc. Then plan a trip to the tailwaters for some trout. It seems that there are quite a few new fly fishermen, so this may be beneficial before we get onto the trout. There's nothing worse than spending time on the water untying "wind knots" while the fish are biting, or should I say "sipping." I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I can throw some loops and may be able to give some pointers to those just starting out.

DMBFan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Boonville,IN
    So ready for this year. I have an 8 acre lake overpopulated with bass. There is one fish fry. Plan on spending a week running 2-3 trotlines in the River. There is a second fish fry. Plus whatever fishing I do. Beer drinking, fish eating. My kind of summer.

Top Bottom