Who's taken a Force on Force class? Thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Yeah, there's my problem. I either don't have the money when I class comes around, or I'm swamped at work (trying to make up for the 'no money' part).

Amen
    I have known that I need to get this type of training for some time now.
    My big problem is that I have to work every other weekend and it seems that things are ALWAYS on the weekends that I work. I don't have that much vacation :xmad:
    The good news is that I am going to be able to make ACT's class that is coming up and I will get to others when the schedules line up. I have heard too many good things about this type of training to not do it when I can

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Amen
    I have known that I need to get this type of training for some time now.
    My big problem is that I have to work every other weekend and it seems that things are ALWAYS on the weekends that I work. I don't have that much vacation :xmad:
    The good news is that I am going to be able to make ACT's class that is coming up and I will get to others when the schedules line up. I have heard too many good things about this type of training to not do it when I can

I end up working most weekends, and most evenings as well. My priority for this year is to find a job that doesn't interfere as much with my hobbies!:):

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I haven't been through a FOF class specifically, but we do FOF scenerios at work a lot. It will really make you rethink how you're doing things.

been using airsoft lately due to cost , but I think it works a lot better with simmunitions because it hurts a lot more (especially whe their expired and frozen). It really makes the scenerios as real as you're likely to get without actually shooting each other. It also adds a slight amount of apprehension about getting shot, unlike airsoft.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    FoF, IMHO, is equally important to any firearm based class, maybe a bit more.

While learning to properly shoot a gun is very important, learning WHEN to shoot, or take any action at all, seems more important. Also, FoF scenerios will bring you to the conclusion that "sometimes" going to the gun is not the best course of action.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    My strong suggestions:

Become thoroughly grounded in the proper fundamentals of gun safety, gun handling, and defensive shooting techniques. Then take Force-on-Force and Extreme Close Quarters classes.

Maintain skills with frequent, proper practice. Shooting, and defensive handgun shooting in particular, is a highly perishable skill.

smccabe17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    I am with everyone else here. I have taken Shay's Intro to FoF and another Fof class. They are both life changers. Everything I do anymore I usually think about those classes. I feel it is so important even for non concealed / open carry people. My wife is coming with me on my blow money.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I can say with certainty that the Force on Force class I took is the single most important thing I've invested my time into in terms of self defense...

There really isn't more to say.

It was a discussion with Lars at Papa Roux that made me change my mind and take one.

and I agree with everyone else above comments.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    So is a FoF class a one on one scenario or is it a simulation of you doing an objective or what? I have heard of them but never really looked at what is involved in this type of class. However, from what I am reading here it seems like this is something I should definitely check into taking. All info appreciated

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    So is a FoF class a one on one scenario or is it a simulation of you doing an objective or what? I have heard of them but never really looked at what is involved in this type of class. However, from what I am reading here it seems like this is something I should definitely check into taking. All info appreciated

Well, that's kind of like asking, "What is taught in a math class?"

It depends on who is teaching it and what the objective of the instructor is. The level of the student is also important.

There is also a large difference between Skills FoF and Scenario FoF. A Skills FoF exercise might be: Get your gun out of your holster while this guy hits you in the head with a bat and put 4 rounds into him. After the shooting, you need to assess, scan, top off your pistol and holster up. There's no decision making. You are told what to do and your job is to perform the skills.

Scenarios are open-ended. You are not told what to do. You are given a basic scenario and you walk through it as if you were in every day life. "Go in that store and buy a candle for your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/whatever. All decisions are up to you. YOU get to decide if/when to get your gun out, if/when you move, if/when you use cover, if/when you shoot, how many times you shoot, if/when you call 911, if/when you perform a 360 scan, if/when you self-check for injuries... You get the point. Not all scenarios should require you to shoot someone. However, all scenarios should require you to THINK.

I know that when I design a scenario I have a very clear lesson that I begin with so that it doesn't become a fanciful paintball game. Also, I will always prioritize Mindset over tactics because Mindset lessons are not as easily taught in live fire classes.

My classes at the end of this month are already full, but I will be putting more on the schedule for April. My Intro to Force on Force class starts out with a lecture, then skills drills and finally we work up to a single scenario at the end of the day. I hope that some of you that are interested will come find out why I stopped teaching live fire classes and now all I teach is Force on Force.

Top Bottom