• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • golfinfool

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Brazil, Indiana
    I've searched and read alot of posts about 1911's. It seems like this is the most popular model. What is it that makes everyone drool over it? I'm not trying to start a war or anything, just wanting some good info. I went to a gun show in Brazil today and saw a few and of course they look good.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Looks great, feels great, solid reputation, excellent primary caliber with other choices as well, and everything from entry level price range to several thousands of dollars. Easy to carry/conceal, what's not to love?

rlidgard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    NWI
    i have two and on my way to 200. they r all very nice guns. u cant go wrong with any. if u decide to get one. make sure its a nice one. i have the pleasure of having a kimber. but thats my favorite so far. i have also had the chance to shoot a remington,colt,sa, and para. which i also liked. never shot a rock island. but people like them

golfinfool

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Brazil, Indiana
    Only one I picked up today was a Sig, it felt solid just holding it. Do most people have them in the traditional .45 caliber, or others? I want something that is not too expensive to shoot and .45 is not cheap to shoot. I guess if I'm gonna spend a grand on a gun I really shouldnt worry about the cost of ammo huh?

rlidgard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    NWI
    i have a 45 and a 1911 .22 so best of both worlds. i use mine for idpa and its perfect. its not cheap to shoot. but worh it. u dont buy a ferrari and ask for a 4cyl do u?

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I think they're cool just because the design is 100 years old - I think it's neat that the 100 year old design is still in wide use. And some of them look pretty nice.

However, I shot a friend's Kimber 1911 and Glock 30 (subcompact .45) back to back and I think I actually liked the Glock better. And I have pretty big hands. I think the Glock just felt better to shoot. Sacrilege, huh?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Only one I picked up today was a Sig, it felt solid just holding it. Do most people have them in the traditional .45 caliber, or others? I want something that is not too expensive to shoot and .45 is not cheap to shoot. I guess if I'm gonna spend a grand on a gun I really shouldnt worry about the cost of ammo huh?

Well, they do make a .22 conversion so you can have the best of both worlds.

Let me google that for you

:yesway:

:D

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Always keep ammo cost in mind, unless you are buying a gun-safe-queen. Not everyone can buy all the guns they want. Maybe eventually you'll have a 9 and a 45.

Ask yourself, what do I want this gun for? If its range only, 9 is fine. Even for defense some people prefer the recoil of the 9.

45s are great, but not that great if you can't take it out.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And, over the life of the gun, you'll spend more than the cost of the gun.

Look at the cost of a Barrett 50BMG. Then look up cost of ammo. More expensive gun, more expensive ammom.

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    The way it feels in your hand, the slimness of it, the weight, the gentle push of the recoil, being able to carry it cocked and locked, the natural way it points in your hand, and the trigger omg the trigger, short, crisp, its perfect. As a carry gun I do wish it was a bit lighter, a reliable double stack with a lighter frame...I'm losing focus I should go...

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    motivator488991be5d97a391567e4833dd7faa1f8cc61104.jpg

motivator6fe3cc31c6ef8f59ab6f52514cc6b21d8263079d.jpg

motivator6df3704e48c5acbe9f02e76e5dc86b605e06e4c5.jpg

kilo11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Avon,IN
    Shootability and adaptability. The 1911 is the most high performance handgun on the market capable of taken a shooter to places he's never been before.

The trigger is unlike anything else on the market. It can be tuned to absolute perfection. In fact it can even spoil you a bit.

Ergonomics are fantastic. The sits super low in the hand and the slim profile means that shooter can get more control and a better trigger reach.

The barrel lockup can also be tuned to perfection, giving the shooter more accuracy or more reliability or somewhere in between. There is currently very few guns on the market that allow the consistent lockup of the barrel.

The entire gun can be fitted and finished to perfection. The trigger, barrel, slide, frame, and all other parts can be assembled and fitted in a way that few guns can. No other gun can fill so many roles. A 1911 can be configured for competition, LEO patrol or tactical, military, home defense, self defense, and hunting and do all those things better than anything else when properly built.

Top Bottom