• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    I SUPPOSE THERE ARE THOSE WHO WILL CLAIM THIS IS ALL A PACK OF LIES, HOWEVER?

Two very interesting charts
    GetInline.aspx

Budgets do not come from the White House. They come from Congress, and the party that controlled Congress since January 2007 is the Democrat Party. They controlled the budget process for FY 2008 and FY 2009, as well as FY 2010 and FY 2011. In that first year, they had to contend with George Bush, which caused them to compromise on spending, when Bush somewhat belatedly got tough on spending increases.

For FY 2009 though, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid bypassed George Bush entirely, passing continuing resolutions to keep government running until Barack Obama could take office. At that time, they passed a massive omnibus spending bill to complete the FY 2009 budgets.

And where was Barack Obama during this time? He was a member of that very Congress that passed all of these massive spending bills, and he signed the omnibus bill as President to complete FY 2009. Let's remember what the deficits looked like during that period: (below)

GetInline.aspx

If the Democrats inherited any deficit, it was the FY 2007 deficit, the last of the Republican budgets. That deficit was the lowest in five years, and the fourth straight decline in deficit spending. After that, Democrats in Congress took control of spending, and that includes Barack Obama, who voted for the budgets. If Obama inherited anything, he inherited it from himself.

In a nutshell, what Obama is saying is I inherited a deficit that I voted for and then I voted to expand that deficit four-fold

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Bush still signed the bills, and he still advocated atrocities such as bailouts and the Patriot Act. :dunno:
    Don't forget the education pile of :poop:.

Clinton loves to claim responsibility for surpluses. But starting in 1995, he had one house of Congress for one term on his side. The rest were all Republican controlled and it was THEIR bills that led to the surpluses. I think it's safe to say that had he been saddled with a Dem majority for any length of time (like his first two years perhaps), his spending would have outpaced the income just like every other president in recent history.

So where, exactly, does the blame lie? On the Congress that creates it in all its glory, or the President who signs it? :dunno: I don't know.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    So where, exactly, does the blame lie? On the Congress that creates it in all its glory, or the President who signs it? :dunno: I don't know.

Or does the blame lie partially on all branches of government; the ones who propose a budget and sign it into law, if passed by Congress; the ones who enact budget proposals and pass them to the Executive branch; or the ones who create programs by fiat and expect the rest of the government to pay for them (the Federal Courts).

cadan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Don't forget the education pile of :poop:.

Clinton loves to claim responsibility for surpluses. But starting in 1995, he had one house of Congress for one term on his side. The rest were all Republican controlled and it was THEIR bills that led to the surpluses. I think it's safe to say that had he been saddled with a Dem majority for any length of time (like his first two years perhaps), his spending would have outpaced the income just like every other president in recent history.

There never was a surplus, for expenditures always exceeded taxation. The alleged surplus is only sustainable if one ignores that the government was squandering the money of the social security trust fund during this time. See The Myth of the Clinton Surplus. Unfortunately, this has been a long running practice and SS is bankrupt, and will default.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Ultimately it's your fault, it's my fault. People cast the ballots or people sat idle and didn't vote. That's why Congress was able to write the bills and the president was able to sign them.

VOTING = the politicians term limit

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Bush still signed the bills, and he still advocated atrocities such as bailouts and the Patriot Act. :dunno:

Bush was a progressive, much like the current POTUS. The only difference is the rhetoric on war. Bush proposed it and pursued it. Obama derides it and pursues it.

Randall Flagg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    In the last 100 years the budget has been balanced in 5 of those years, in only 2 of the last 100 years has the debt been paid down.

Yep their really is NO difference in parties when it comes to spending other peoples money.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    while this post is somewhat "fishing for results it wants"... this post points out a very common problem. a lot of voters think the prez is the only one in power and not just 1/3 of the gov. and then they respond accordingly. "bushs last year sucked so let me push the D button" or "clinton is not getting it right so let me push the R button" educated voters shouldnt do this based on emotions of course unless everyone they want to vote for happens to be in one party. but the largest problem is, those who dont recognize congresses role, dont hold them accountable.

i of course am not saying everything is congresses fault. that would be the opposite extreme. we just have to realize that the prez is just part of the equation.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    They are all to blame. It takes 2/3's vote to pass a bill. The President has 10 days to veto. If he does nothing after 10 days the bill goes into affect. Except for time of recess.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Ultimately it's your fault, it's my fault. People cast the ballots or people sat idle and didn't vote. That's why Congress was able to write the bills and the president was able to sign them.

VOTING = the politicians term limit

No one else can see this, apparently.

Top Bottom