• ...and so much more!
  • cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    MOds: please feel free to relocate t his thread if necessary

Ok here’s the one that may get me booted.
    Why other than the obvous I like guns or I can does anyone in our world need to carry 2 or three guns and a couple of knives at the same time?
    Why do we own multiple combat style weapons and still go out and buy more?
    Don’t misinterpret this thread, I’m not merely being a smart ass, I’m not taking your wife’s side and I am not a gun control advocate. Its just that many of the threads I read seem to be full of fear of and preparation for the great SHTF. So the question arrises what motivates one to arm his home, vehicle and person t o the teeth. Why do you need several tactical rifles with 10 or 12 mags and several hundred rounds for each. Are the Indians or Zombies coming over the hill any minute to kill you and your family? What are you afraid of???
    The worst senario I have prepared for since leaving the army is some fool or group of fools forcing entry into my home. So I have a double barrel shot gun and a couple of good handguns and am fully competent with them.
    I’m hopin ghtat members or INGO will take this oportunity to add to my education but I fully expect to be rediculed beyond reason.
    Thanks
    :ingo::dunno:

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    If you watch the news and pay attention to what is going on in this country. Then arming yourself to the teeth only makes sense. Surviaval of the fittest and the most well armed!

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    MOds: please feel free to relocate t his thread if necessary

Why other than the obvous I like guns or I can does anyone in our world need to carry 2 or three guns and a couple of knives at the same time?
    Don’t misinterpret this thread, I’m not merely being a smart ass, I’m not taking your wife’s side and I am not a gun control advocate. Its just that many of the threads I read seem to be full of fear of and preparation for the great SHTF. So the question arrises what motivates one to arm his home, vehicle and person t o the teeth. Why do you need several tactical rifles with 10 or 12 mags and several hundred rounds for each. Are the Indians or Zombies coming over the hill any minute to kill you and your family? What are you afraid of???
    The worst senario I have prepared for since leaving the army is some fool or group of fools forcing entry into my home. So I have a double barrel shot gun and a couple of good handguns and am fully competent with them.
    I’m hopin ghtat members or INGO will take this oportunity to add to my education but I fully expect to be rediculed beyond reason.
    Thanks
    :ingo::dunno:

Cause when SHTF, if you don't use all the guns & ammo, you can always trade some of the guns & ammo for food, water, or fuel;)

seanamus

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    if you are a troll i am going to have to give you a 1/10 , its the best i can do and still make a living. however if not a troll

multiple guns different calibers different uses, you wouldn't want a .22 for a bear or a 7.62x54r for a rabbit wouldn't want a .308 for home defense or 5.56 for long range accurate and hard hitting shooting, for personal reasons you may like .45 acp for defense but like plinking with 9mm for the price point.

as for knives same thing, you wouldn't want a bowie knife for carving with and wouldn't want a Swiss army knife for butchering a deer a FFG knife will slice more easily but a Sabre grind may be a bit tougher and harder to break the tip off etc etc

and why not have thousands of rounds of ammo, buying in bulk makes it cheaper and you have to buy less often and sometimes people come into power and other people feel the need to buy up supplies because said people coming to power are very anti freedom anti constitution, dont ask me why people are afraid of inanimate objects :dunno:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    IMO just get one. One for every purpose that is; close, far, knockdown, precision, travel, home defense.... And then stock ammo. Then get back ups. Then get something for your buddies just in case they leave theirs at home when they come to visit....

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    And, I have a 6 people in my immediate family, Me, wife, two boys, and two girls. They all know how to load and they all know how to shoot.
    Also, it's not a matter of "if" the Zombies come, it is "when" they come.

Plus, I just love guns!!!

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    You're on a gun forum asking why people collect guns? Especially really cool ones gun collectors like to collect?

Are you also on the coin collector's forum asking why they have so many, what they're collecting them all for, and why they need all the cool accessories to go with them?

M1 carbine dad

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    Danville
    I think he makes a good point though. There's a limit to how many guns / ammo one can carry. I agree with the point that you don't shoot bears with a .22 or a rabbit / squirrel with a .308. I can also concede that stocking up on a lot of ammo is a good idea.

However, when the SHTF (and it most certainly will), I want to have something to protect my family / friends / stuff.

Personally, I like the idea of consolidating ammo. So, I carry a 1911 for a sidearm and am looking into a .45ACP carbine for some CQC duty. So, that's one kind of ammo. I also have a .30 Carbine for the wife / kids so that's 2 kinds of ammo.

So, the last piece of the puzzle is something for longer range. All told, only 3 kinds of ammo max for me. I have limited cargo hauling capacity and would rather be thoughtful in my gun / ammo purchases and do some double duty. I'm also on a tight budget and can realistically only do so much.

I think that's the way most of us are here. On a budget and having to make every penny count.

Do I know when Western civilization will crumble? No.
    Do I want to be ready / trained for when it does? Yes.
    Do I want to be able to protect my family / friends? Yes.
    Worst case scenario: Do I want to be able to be self sufficient and be able to live off the land if I have to? yes.

Plus, guns are cool and they go BANG and make stuff break. what more could a guy ask for? Besides a really nice muscle car that is.....

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I have extra guns in which I can arm a few close friends and family in SHTF scenario. Obviously in SHTF scenario you cannot use a whole bunch of guns but you can arm your cook and gardener. I say cook cause my neighbor is a chef and knows how to clean a cow:D And he has a very nice garden.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    cbsenior - I get what you are saying, and it is a legitimate question. As an avowed barrel sucker, knife, and just plain weapon guy, I will hereby PUBLICLY ADMIT a lot of stuff I have is just because I like it.

Arm my friends? They are all armed already. Family? They have their own guns. If they had not embraced some training and had guns assigned to them already, I would hesitate to give them a gun in a SHTF and expect a lot out of their performance. They would be LOADERS.

The truth is, I could get along fine with my issue handgun, a Jframe off duty, a .22 rifle, a quality shotgun, an AK or AR and IN deer rifle. I could get by with a leatherman, a filet knife, $10.00 MORA skinner, SOG folder and a GLOCK combat knife and one sap. And I may not ever need most of it.

Somehow, I have acquired more firearms than listed above over the last 30 years; sometimes the deal was too good to pass up, sometimes it was a hunting weapon needed for the place I was living, sometimes it was just a really accurate gun I enjoyed. Same with the knives: take the ones I received as gifts, the stuff I got training in FMA, knives I carried as a paratrooper, ones I collected overseas, small and large skinners or filet knives, etc. and I have a box of 'em. If we ever do have a SHTF, I'm covered, but it's not why I have them. Don't get me started on impact weapons....ZUlu knobkerries, Masai Rungus, jacks, flat saps, knucks, batons...

But I don't gamble or smoke, I rarely take a drink and don't womanize. I have bought and sold 4 times the number of guns I currently have and always made a profit. Pretty much everything I have was paid for by buying and flipping and upgrading my stuff. My wife is so used to me stopping off a hiway exit to buy or sell a gun, she doesn't bat an eye, and she never questions anything since the $ comes from my working capital.

If you are a young man or woman just starting, I would tell you to get armed and TRAINED first, then start building your battery and upgrading. If you are willing to hustle a little, you can start with A few hundred dollars in capital and start rolling your $. Do your research, find guns people want to buy, buy them low and sell for a profit. Don't worry if you only make $100 on a deal, it is about how many times you flip your $. Bundle purchases if they have a lot to sell. I have a brother in law who will go to an auction, buy 20 guns in a lot, sell 17 of them to cover his gas and purchase costs, and keep the 3 in the group he really wanted. He has a great collection.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There

the answer to this is easy... 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

Here's a link that takes that statement to a little more detail: 2 is 1...1 is none...

mavisky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Greater Atlanta Area
    The wife and I keep it simple for now .45acp hand gun, 7.62x39 semi auto rifle, scoped .22lr rifle with optics. Simple and effective.

Doesn't mean I don't want to collect more though :D

Top Bottom