Why are 300 BLK uppers/rifles so dang expensive?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JLL101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    6.8 may outperform 5.56 ballistically but that is the only area it outperforms.

The ballistics differences are significant and critical depending on the chosen use of the rounds. I certainly would not want to hunt deer with a 5.56. And I was only addressing the ballistics. The original commentators wording was all inclusive as you confirmed and was not appropriate to the ballistics aspects of the rounds. The ballistics was the reason for me choosing the 6.8. If I want to shoot an AR for fun, I shoot the 5.56, if I want to hunt something large I use the 6.8. I also use the 6.8 as my #2 house gun stoked with 120 gr V-Max (kept upstairs) behind my 12 gauge (kept downstairs). I do not reload and I do not put thousands of rounds down range so ammo costs are not a factor. 6.8 components are readily available at competitive pricing. I paid no more for my 6.8 upper that I paid for my 5.56. You analysis is possibly valid for high volume shooters just now choosing between the 6.8 and the 300 BLK. Otherwise your logic is incorrect.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Finished ordering all the parts necessary to complete my custom 300 BLK build... total cost is coming in less than $600... for an upper with many upgrades comparable to the uppers they are asking $1k+ for.

nbunga

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    The manufactures are banking on the fact that a lot of people won't build their own uppers. They might figure there are more people who will buy it complete not knowing how to build one or that it is identical other than the barrel.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    6.8 may outperform 5.56 ballistically but that is the only area it outperforms. Tombs said "a step up in every sense" but that just isn't the case. "Every sense" implies every aspect of the cartridge; the truth is that 6.8 only outperforms ballistically. The part that he overlooked was the cost and less-common, more expensive parts & components for the gun and reloading... 300 BLK fills that void quite nicely with the added benefit that I can run supersonic ammo and switch to heavy subs that are whisper quiet using my suppressor just by switching mags... that CANNOT be done with 6.8... RE: parts & components of 300 BLK, it uses the very, very common 30 cal bullets that are already out there and the brass is converted from 5.56 brass... performance of the 300 BLK rivals that of 6.8 in close. Out at further distance it can still be effective if the shooter does his part. 300 BLK isn't the perfect cartridge just like 6.8 isn't perfect either. This isn't a caliber debate. I like the 300 BLK because it is the PERFECT cartridge for what I want and 6.8 does nothing for me over 5.56.

Overall, cost of getting set up for, and reloading for 6.8 will be well above that of 300 BLK and that is a huge factor. After-all, for people that shoot a lot, the cost of the gun pales in comparison to the cost of the ammo that will be run through it.

This isn't a caliber debate, it's a fad debate, which directly addresses why component cost is so high.

You are the target audience for the 300blk, it is perfectly suited to your applications. In all honesty though, the vast majority of people aren't facing the same problems that the 300blk was designed to solve while they're still diving on board with it.

Cost is nearly irrelevant between the two rounds, except that 6.8 is much easier to find for less money than 300blk, and from known companies. If cost is much of a concern, 5.56 is someone's best bet. But there's a reason someone is dropping the 5.56 for something else, right? You wanted something to run suppressed that was quieter and had more energy with subsonic loads.

If someone is simply wanting more power from their AR, for hunting or what ever else, the 300blk is not the right choice. As long as they aren't looking for additional range the 6.8SPC will suit them better. If someone is looking to stretch out the range capabilities of the AR, then the 6.5 grendel is the clear winner and in some cases might be a better choice than the 6.8 as well. Sometimes simply stepping up to 75-77gr bullets in 5.56 will suit people's needs more than they realize.

Once again, just saying there's a lot of things out there that are well established and not hard to find or any more expensive and should not be overlooked just because they aren't the most popular thing currently.

Top Bottom