Why are gun shop employees/owners predominately dicks?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    FWIW I was at a shop once as a customer when another customer made a comment about legal deer hunting equipment. He said cap and ball revolvers are illegal for deer hunting.

I tried to explain how the regs were written and all I got was "they're illegal" repeatedly.

Well guess what?

They aren't.

The state considers cap and ball revolvers as muzzleloaders (gee, remember in the regs the wording "capable of being loaded from the muzzle" ???).

By type, cap and ball revolvers are NOT illegal.

But the state has regulations on muzzeloader handguns, by minimum caliber, bbl length and having to be single shot. And those rules pretty much exclude all current cap and ball factory offerings.

So one could have a cap and ball revolver, if of .50 cal min, and proper bbl length, made such that only one chamber was usable, and be legal.

You wonder why shop employees are dicks?

It's because we have to deal with loud mouth idiots like that all the friggin' time, who basically call us liars and or stupid.

Yeah, I thought that was the ruling for years, but actually contacted the state for verification.

Not all sales people (current/former) are friggin' stupid.

I spent un-told hours developing and building Hot Rod Harley's. My son and I have also built and raced Drag cars for ourselves and others The experience with those who thought they knew something was not un-like what you are referencing. Once it is read on the internet, discussed over beers or told by a guy they know it is gospel. No amount of info can turn them around.
    Yup, idiots abound.
    That said, you will have those special folks cross your path that listen and learn. It is a balancing act.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

Years ago when I worked in insurance we were told that a person who is happy with your service will tell an average of one (1) or two (2) people. A person who is unhappy with your service will tell an average of nine (9) people.

This is why customer service is so critical. Today, you can make one simple post and tell thousands about your problem. This is just for normal folks. Imagine if Lady Gaga is unhappy with a product or service! This woman has 32 million twitter followers and over 40 million facebook fans. Tick her off and see where your business could go.

Part of the issue may be that standard businesses push employees and managers to bend over backwards to make the customer happy. I don't think gun store owners bend that far, normally...

Regards,

Doug

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Here's one from the other side. A gentleman calls last week and asks if I can find 2 different revolvers for him and his wife. I checked my distributors and found one at a very good price for him; the other was an "American Rifleman" revolver, which means it will be in high demand in ordinary times and outrageously priced on Gunbroker. So, he asks me to order the available firearm and he would stop by on Saturday morning to put a deposit down. Fine.

On Saturday afternoon, I call and say the gun is ordered, you didn't show up at the expected time. No phone call either. What's up? He says he went out shooting with a friend and blew off our meeting, but he would be by at 8 a.m. Monday. I normally don't open until 10 a.m., but this guy wanted a firearm that wasn't going to last in distributor inventory very long...so I said OK.

Today, I call him at 9 a.m. telling him: 1) he didn't call to say he was going to be late 2) he broke 2 meeting times, 3) no deposit on the special order and 4) Don't bother to call or stop by because the order is cancelled and I don't want his business under any circumstances.

Now, that might appear to be a little aggressive on my part, but I also believe your word is your bond.

That sir, is awesome. One thing I've never handled well is people being late for no good reason because YOU have nothing better to do than wait around for them. Good for you!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    To All,

Years ago when I worked in insurance we were told that a person who is happy with your service will tell an average of one (1) or two (2) people. A person who is unhappy with your service will tell an average of nine (9) people.

This is why customer service is so critical. Today, you can make one simple post and tell thousands about your problem. This is just for normal folks. Imagine if Lady Gaga is unhappy with a product or service! This woman has 32 million twitter followers and over 40 million facebook fans. Tick her off and see where your business could go.

Part of the issue may be that standard businesses push employees and managers to bend over backwards to make the customer happy. I don't think gun store owners bend that far, normally...

Regards,

Doug
    I'm sorry, but anybody that wants to **** off lady gaga has my business, even if your Selling home made fish snorkels!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I'm not sure she's a "lady" at all. That seems like a good idea, a class action lawsuit against one more surgery to be a lady gaga.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    I think it all boils down to a loss of manners. Unfortunately our civil society becomes less so by the day. As the great band Pink Floyd put it, "I mean good manners don't cost nothing do they, eh?

And they sure can go a long way to building friendship and goodwill.:twocents:

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    A lot of people just don't get the art of selling. I often bend over backwards for my customers and put up with a lot of things I wish I didn't have to (NOT IN GUN BUSINESS). Not everyone is cut out for that. However, it's been very rewarding to me and I can almost immediately see several things that GS owners can do to improve their bottom line. It's intuitive to me as I've done this for a long time. However, I do agree that there are some people you just don't want to do business with. I think a lot of times the clerks/owners are sizing up the customer to see if they are a "player" or not. Lots of guys will come in and kick the tires, but never buy anything. If you frequent shops you see this all the time. However, I have been mistaken for the guy that doesn't buy a few times and it irrates the bloody hell out of me. Develop a relationship with someone at a shop you like and ONLY deal with them. If you do that, you will most likely not be disappointed.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    I have alittle tale to add to the heap on this subject.

Have been hunting the "just right" carry gun for the wifey. (you know how women are about clothes/shoes...well mine is like that about guns) Anywho, we go to a local gun shop, i was standing a bit down the way drooling on the counter looking at some things i would like to see in my safe, listening intently/watching out of the corner of my eye.

Shes wanting to look at a specific revolver that has caught her eye. Well, the owner/manager and a hired flunky were helping her. She no more than uttered what it was she wanted to see/fondle, flunky says "I think you would really like this PINK .380." Wife politely says , "no, thanks, i really like the looks of that Smith revolver." So the owner reaches down and pulls out the pink .380 and says "i think you would REALLY like this for a carry gun." Wife says, "no, (little more tritely) i want to see that Smith .38 with the bobbed hammer!" Owner and flunky AGAIN say "but this PINK .380 suits you." Wife says, "first of all i HATE pink, second i dont WANT a damn.380 and if i wanted that ugly POS i would have asked to see it." She then says to me "LETS GO! I am DONE with this place...for GOOD!"

As i turned to follow her out like a good hubby (puppy dog) i notice one of my buddies ( even more of a gun nut than I and one that is VERY well connected n the local gun community) that was at the other end of the counter. We say "hey" say a few quick words...wife was giving me the evil eye because she knows where this is going... so i cut our convo. short.

The next Fri. we saw each other at the local watering hole and discussed at length the stupidity of the LGS people and how they drove a paying customer out of the shop for good. He also told me how he had watched the exchange and was shaking his head the whole time...whenever he sees the wife he asks if she ever got that PINK .380 she wanted sooo badly:lmfao:
    There are now three stores in this town/area i will NOT set foot in. One due them being cock robbers and thinking their merchandise deserves a 50-100% markup, one due to pure lack of common sense/customer service and the last because the wife told me to stay out...and after watching how they treated a "newer" shooter of the fairer sex...wont waste a penny there!

People in the business of selling guns would do well to heed what has been discussed in this thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm going to say this happened at H&H.

hoosierguy81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    I had a miserable experience at Shooters in New Haven!
    Was doing a transfer on a yugo sks all they had were chinese sks which I already own one. The owner who approved my transfer 3 weeks before and said it was going to be 25 bucks came back and said I was lucky he accepted the ups shipment. After I reminded him that he approved it before I even ordered it he said well I dont write anything down and you should have just bought one that was here. He continued to ***** about how no FFL should do a transfer for 20 mins. Then he finally did my paperwork and charged me 40 bucks saying there was as additional charge per gun. Needless to say I will never shop at that store again ever! I found a great FFL guy at a show who lives locally and charges 20 bucks per transfer and doesnt care if I buy from a site or ask him if he has something!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    indianapolis
    I have been a shop when a female came in looking to make her first firearm purchase. I have stood back and watched them try and sell her all the bells and whistles they could while never once taking the time to figure out what was the best fit for her and her needs. Just sad .

dangar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    New Castle, IN
    My father and I visited two local gun shops yesterday in Henry County. It was my first time to visit either one.

The first had a good selection of handguns and fairly decent prices. However, the owner didn't have much time for us as customers. We were the only customers in the shop at the time. It was almost like we were interfering with his day. Granted, he was busy completing paperwork for either incoming or outgoing shipments.

The second shop owner was very friendly and interested in showing us various guns. However, he had a smaller selection than the first shop and his prices were higher than average.

If my only options were to buy from these two shops, my wallet would probably demand that I deal with the gruff guy at the first shop despite his poor customer service skills. Fortunately, there are other options. Hopefully, I can find one nearby that has both competitive prices and good service.

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm going to say this happened at H&H.

I must correct you...it wasnt H&H (Freedom Firearms) Surprising i know...but i dont even set foot in H&H or FF after they screwed me (actually the range side) some years ago. Besides that, my wallet isnt well enough off to even walk into that high dollar establishment. (read: cock robbers)

It was their nearest (in location...hint hint) competitor.

I had a miserable experience at Shooters in New Haven!
    Was doing a transfer on a yugo sks all they had were chinese sks which I already own one. The owner who approved my transfer 3 weeks before and said it was going to be 25 bucks came back and said I was lucky he accepted the ups shipment. After I reminded him that he approved it before I even ordered it he said well I dont write anything down and you should have just bought one that was here. He continued to ***** about how no FFL should do a transfer for 20 mins. Then he finally did my paperwork and charged me 40 bucks saying there was as additional charge per gun. Needless to say I will never shop at that store again ever! I found a great FFL guy at a show who lives locally and charges 20 bucks per transfer and doesnt care if I buy from a site or ask him if he has something!

Yeah, that guy is a total joke (and a toolbag).

K&T is the ONLY place to go out in New haven...even tho Keith wont do FFL transfers on new guns. But he is straight forward about and will tell you up front. I dont blame or hate on him for his policy, i can see his point...he wants you to buy new guns from him.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I have never had that happen to me! I believe as soon as it had, I would be on my way out the door!:dunno:
    Are you sure your not exaggerating?

Happened to me at Cabelas. I wanted a Beretta 92 FS. When asked about it in the case, he pulled out a Springfield XD instead and said this is what you want.

I said no, the Beretta. He pulled it out, then suggested before I buy that I go to a range and test both.

I said no thanks, this is what I want, give me the paperwork and let's get going.

It annoyed me....

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Yea.. that would kinda tick me off.. I'm fine with them giving alternatives to my choice, and explaining their point of view. But that's kinda ****ty

spqr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Zionsville
    As a follow-up to my post on 1/24, I again called the gunshop where I have purchased over 20 guns in the past decade or so (Plainfield Shooting Supply)...they treated me like crap and they treated my friend (who wanted to put a hold on a gun by giving his credit card over the phone so he could pick it up tomorrow morning) like crap! They wouldn't even take the credit card of a good friend of a loyal customer to hold a gun for 24 hrs...and they were rude and insulting! I am taking my two friends (who want to make their first gun purchase) to Bradis tomorrow. They were willing to put a gun on hold for my friend and I will encourage my other friend to buy one there also. A little courtesy goes a long way...I am sad that my loyalty was not rewarded or appreciated and I now understand why Bradis was you gun shop of the year.

Top Bottom