why are Mec Gar mags so hard to find locally?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    I work at RK and also shop around quit a bit and no matter what shop I go in everyone carries Pro Mag. I have yet to find a local shop that carries Mec Gar and was just wondering why it seams no one stocks them normally? I find that Mec Gar quality is just a hair better than Pro Mag in fit and finish.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Mec gar is far better than a hair better than pro mag. Mec gar makes a lot of the mags for gun companies where pro mag makes a lot of crap mags for guns. I would not take a pro mag if you gave it to me.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I work at RK and also shop around quit a bit and no matter what shop I go in everyone carries Pro Mag. I have yet to find a local shop that carries Mec Gar and was just wondering why it seams no one stocks them normally? I find that Mec Gar quality is just a hair better than Pro Mag in fit and finish.

What firearm are they for?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Mec-Gar is far, far better than Promag. For a HiPower they're the best thing going by a long shot. But they cost a lot more, which is probably why you don't find them as much. At oeast for the HiPower. I get them at the 1500.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    As was already mentioned above, Mec-Gar makes many of the gun companies' factory magazines, and there's a reason for that.
    I only wish that they would take it upon themselves to make magazines for the S&W 1000 series pistols. :(

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Why are you so concerned with buying local if "local" won't get you what you know you need?

Tell them why, and hope they listen, but if/when they don't, buy elsewhere.

Like the internet.

-Nate

ETA: Oh yeah, and Mec-Gar is THE "it" for anything they make.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    OP, is there a particular gun you're looking for? The reason I ask is because there are some guns Mecgar used to make mags for that they no longer do. I think the SIG P220 would be an example.

+2 to all the comments about Mecgar vs. Promag.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I used to carry Mec-Gar magazines at the store. It was very rare for me to sell one (actually I rarely sell any mags at the store, not just Mec-Gar) so I mainly carry them at gun shows. If a customer requests one, I can pull it from the show inventory and bring it to the store but it's generally not worth it for me to carry a big variety at the store. I'm sure that would be different if I sold firearms though.

Top Bottom