• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Something I find hard to grasp is that guns "gain" value from the time they're purchased to the time they're resold.
    Has anybody else noticed that guns are often attempting to be sold for more than what they paid for them in a gun store / online gun retailer? I'm talking about Glocks and Springfields, often cases even Hi Points and Taurus's.

My Glock 23 Gen3 fired 700~ flawless rounds. I picked it up brand new for $449 late 2010 at local gun shop. After a month's wait and numerous counter-offers I settled to sell it for $400.
    My Springfield Armory XD-40 Service fired 100 flawless rounds. I picked it up brand new through GunBroker.com for $445 late 2009. In a desperate attempt, at the time, to pay my rent I sold the gun for $310 to my local gun shop; after no offers.
    My Taurus PT-845 fired 300~ very flawed rounds. It had many FTF and FTE problems, and even at one point lost its' firing pin. Sent it to Taurus got a quick fix and quick turnaround. Wouldn't even attempt to fire the gun again as the firing pin in me in the chest upon firing the gun, I didn't trust it. Paid $386 brand new from BudsGunShop early/middle of 2010, got $275 trade in at local gun shop.

Now what I am REALLY getting at
    (referring to ingo and armslist classifieds)

Springfield Armory (Essential Series, no belt accessories) XD series pistols are trying to be sold USED with Two mags (not the three free mags you could be receiving from SA until Nov. 30th) for at least $20 higher than the selling price of online retailers. Example? I could either buy somebody's XD-40 4" Service for $450 from the classifieds, or go to BudsGunShop.com right now and buy an XD-40 4" Service with V10 ported barrel for $472, and receive three free mags on top of that.

Glock pistols, used or new are being sold for often one hundred over what you can find online.

Hi-Point and Taurus? I have no idea why. I often see them being priced the same or over what you can find online.

Are people not doing their research? Or are people really just hoping that the buyers in this market aren't doing it?

Does having a higher round count nullify the fact that you've added wear to your firearm and simply add to the Long-Running-Reliability factor? Where is the line drawn here?

Disclaimer:
    I obviously know this thread will do NOTHING to impact prices. People are always going to try to charge what they think they can get out of something. But in the real world, something is only ever worth what somebody is willing to pay. And I don't see me spending more for less any time soon.

This is somewhat of a Rant. I want people's input on this, I really want to know why I can't seem to find the deals I used to be able to find.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    It's a free market. People will advertise their stuff for whatever they like. Other people will pay whatever they're willing to pay. If you don't like a seller's price, don't do business with him/her. In the example you gave on the Springfeld, I personally would probably buy the one locally for $450 rather than one for $20 + shipping + FFL + *waiting* (I'm really not good at waiting and would generally pay more to avoid it...) So I guess I qualify as the ignorant buyer not doing his research. In most cases, I don't give a rat's sphincter about a gun being brand new. In any case, the bottom line is that in a a free market, prices will be set by the immutable law of supply and demand.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Just because YOU got a great price for a new gun doesn't mean everyone knows how to do that. Most of the guns I see at many local gunshops are priced 20-30% higher than you can find from online sources or from good local gunshops. Paying $600-650 for a plain jane Glock is not unheard of. So the guy who doesn't know what a price could be, may shop around 2-3 local gunshops and see that those prices are "normal" and thinks that's what he'll pay.

You can see this walking around smaller gun shows: prices tend to be higher than at larger gun shows.

So he pays $600 new for a gun at a local gun shop then he turns around and tries to sell it for $550, all you see is it being $100 MORE used than you can get it for new with your cheaper sources.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    I appreciate the input and it does make sense in more than one way right at this point: Not wanting to wait and Trusting Local gun dealers seems important to some. I'm a firm believer in the very short, simple & sweet phrase: To each their own.

I never said I'm upset about not being able to get a cheap gun locally, I sort of am but I'm not so much so - I would rather buy brand new for cheaper than used. If I have to go online to do it I do it very comfortably as the website I purchase through has an outstanding customer service department and excellent track record.

Keep the input coming guys :)

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Another thing to consider about the classified is that people will almost always offer less than the price you ask. That being considered, I usually list things a little bit higher than my bottom dollar on an item to leave some room to negotiate.

Also, if you don't like someone's price, make them an offer. The worst they can do is say no thanks.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I just bought a XD9SC for $430 online with $20 FFL and no sales tax. The local price was $525 plus sales tax. The free mags make the used market less appealing for sure.

People love their guns too. Emotional attachment increases prices they want to sell for.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    IF I see a gun I want reasonably priced I'll buy it.
    IF I see a great deal on a gun I previously had no interest in I'll buy it because of the price.
    Just depends on my "Wish List", needs, wants, and the mood I'm in.
    It's good to be a bargain hunter. Nothing wrong with saving a few pennies when you can.
    I've seen "wholesale" prices on some guns and above retail also.
    It may depend on where a seller bought his/her gun and what they paid also.
    Location, wait, want, availability, will have impact on prices paid.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    The value of any item is what a willing buyer will pay to a willing seller for the item and what a willing seller will accept. There need be no further discussion. Value is purely subjective and determined at the point of sale. Everything else including msrp and values listed in guide books is merely a guideline based upon expectations and or past experience.
    If I have an AR for sale and you are headed to a shtf situation where you will need it to protect your self and family that AR is worth a bunch more than the one at the gun store which is closed because it is Sunday.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Don't ya know.....INGO Classifieds is sponsored by Don Davis and these are the most ridiculous deals Don has ever seen.
    These folks don't care about making money, they just love selling guns!

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I stop buying new guns from dealers a while ago. I'll buy new or used guns from individuals, that's how I get good deals
    Strange. I have gotten better prices on guns I bought from my dealer. The prices new are consistantly better or preferrable to INGO used prices. I completely agree with the OP. Pricing here is way off. Whenever I have sold guns here I put on a reasonable price compared to what I boiught new and I have sold every gun within a couple of days.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    The value of any item is what a willing buyer will pay to a willing seller for the item and what a willing seller will accept. There need be no further discussion.

If you see here, I covered this in the OP

Disclaimer:
    I obviously know this thread will do NOTHING to impact prices. People are always going to try to charge what they think they can get out of something. But in the real world, something is only ever worth what somebody is willing to pay. And I don't see me spending more for less any time soon.

And it stands true. However, I am trying to find out why a gun with a higher round count somehow warrants more value on that gun.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Strange. I have gotten better prices on guns I bought from my dealer. The prices new are consistantly better or preferrable to INGO used prices. I completely agree with the OP. Pricing here is way off. Whenever I have sold guns here I put on a reasonable price compared to what I boiught new and I have sold every gun within a couple of days.

This exactly. I think the longest a gun I have put up has been listed was a week. I do find some deals in the classifieds but a big chunk of the prices are just more than you can buy new even locally.

I always laugh when someone has an add on there for three weeks with a FIRM price that is way high lol.

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Prices fluctuate a lot depending on what's around/what the trends are.

For example, last fall I got my m44 for $80 bucks, figured this was pretty standard for Mosins, and I saw a few others go for not much more in the following months.

Try finding the same gun for that price now.

Additionally, the SKS asking prices are very high, I've noticed. I saw one guy selling a Yugo for $500 just b/c he was including $20 worth of ammo. If he sold it, good for him, I guess, But I wouldn't pay that much for an SKS. BUT b/c the prices of everyone else's were so high, when I went to sell mine, I priced it at just UNDER what I was seeing, and I actually sold it for more than I listed on INGO.

GLOCK prices have been a bit out of whack lately as well. I think I've noticed the Gen 3s going anywhere from $375-$500. Personally I paid $420 for a decently used G22 IN A SHOP last year and a practically NIB [looked like they'd fired 2 magazines out of it] G19 for $475 in the classifieds. Both of which I felt were okay deals, those firearms are certainly worth it. When I listed the G22 I had several people offer me $325 for it, I think one guy offered <$300 and when I politely decline one guy implied that I'd be back taking his offer soon. I ended up selling that gun for exactly what I bought it for 2 days later..

Sorry to go off course a few times, just describing some experiences lately. Bottom line is the good deals are still out there, if you don't have the patience to wait for them you'll pay more. Same with selling, generally if your price is reasonable, someone will come along to purchase it, it may just take a little time.

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Also, in reference to online pricing, I often get people that say something along the lines of

"Well, I saw this same gun on gunbroker for $30 less, can't you do any better?"

I rarely give these guys a response anymore, though I have gone and found the same listing, noticed the mandatory shipping charges of $25, then take notice that all the transfer fees at local shops have increased [TSG might still be $15, not sure] and will wonder why they think I'M the one that's out of touch on pricing. I always check out the going price before listing anything.

I'll now just happily tell people that if they can get it cheaper elsewhere, to do so. If my prices were that unfair, they wouldn't sell..

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I dream of a world where someone can choose to carry open or concealed, to carry a Glock or God's gift to mankind through Saint JMB, use a pump shotgun or a semi, choose AK or AR, or try to sell their gun for whatever price they choose without their motives and choices being questioned.

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    I think some of the crazy pricing comes from a couple of the local retailers. I'm not sure what's going on at Popguns but their prices seem to keep creeping up and up.

Beans&Bullets

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Terre Haute, IN
    I bought a Glock 23 from a LEO here on InGunOwners for $425.00. I didn't have to wait for the gun and he threw in 130 rounds of .40 S&W ammo. He told me the gun had less than 400 rounds shot threw it. I believe him, the gun looked nearly new to me. I feel like I got a good deal so I don't care what someone might get this gun for online.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Be it for whatever reason it may be, I just find it silly that people often try to get $450 - $500 for (specifically) a Springfield Armory XD when you can go online right now and buy one for $430 brand spankin new like a soft baby's bottom. $430, free shipping, you pick your FFL so therefore you pick your fee paid. Me, I go with my $10 FFL receiving fee local to Plainfield where I work. You can't beat it.

Honestly I see it as a waste - why sit there and try to sell the gun with less accessories and more wear for more than what you can get brand new? It's a waste of a gun - if you're selling it then chances are you have probably moved on to something else anyway, so that gun is going to waste. I often find FIRM price sales that don't sell, and won't sell. Because they're too stinkin' high.

Again. I don't care that I'm not finding the killer deal I crave - I just think it's foolish how people price their used guns.

Me? I'm putting half down on an XD-40 V10 Ported this Friday. And two weeks from then? I'm putting down the second half to buy it. And it'll be cheaper than 90% of the used regular XD's I've seen online. Very strange market if you ask me.

Top Bottom