• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rand60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    The only advantage I can see with going with the .38 only is that you may be able to get a smaller pistol. The .357 I think requires a larger frame and chamber to handle the larger rounds. Its nice that the .357 can also use the lower priced .38 rounds. I have a Ruger Blackhawk .357 and often shoot the .38 instead...due to the lower price of the rounds.

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    Wheel guns are fun to shoot, pretty much idiot proof, fairly reliable in any conditions. I used to shoot and carry a Charter Arms .38 snub nose and found it was very accurate at 20 yards so that pretty much covers most self defense scenarios. Besides, if another gun ban goes into effect baning removable magazines, wheel guns are going to become popular again. Every bug out bag should have at least one in it. You can hand one to an untrained person in a emergency and tell them to point and pull the trigger and they are ready to go. After the first shot they will have a pretty good grasp on how the gun functions.

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    I am buying my first handgun soon primarily for home defense. Of course I have read about every 9mm semi and have fondled a lot of them, thinking that is the way to go.

But I am 62 y/o with zero handgun experience and not of long gun experience either and I have been wondering if something like a SW Model 67 to be my best option?

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Wheel guns are fairly simple to operate, not overly complicated to maintain, and usually as reliable as a rock. I love my 1911s, and other auto pistols, but I keep a few wheel guns in the safe, and even tend to lean towards my little J frame for everyday carry when I am grabbing a pistol on the way out the door.

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    I am buying my first handgun soon primarily for home defense. Of course I have read about every 9mm semi and have fondled a lot of them, thinking that is the way to go.

But I am 62 y/o with zero handgun experience and not of long gun experience either and I have been wondering if something like a SW Model 67 to be my best option?

If you are planning to practice allot, go to the range regularly with your pistol then I would say the semi automatic like a Glock . On the other hand, if you are going to purchase a gun, shoot it once or twice then stick it in your bedside gun security vault until the need arises, a wheel revolver would be the better choice. Less controls, levers, operational readiness to worry about when the need arises and less chance of accidentally discharging the weapon. I would recommend staying away from a double action, single action semi automatics unless you plan to become very familiar with the weapon and practice allot. Easy to overlook after the first shot that you are in cocked firing mode.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010

Given what you say I think you will be very happy with a SW model 67. Find a used one that is in excellent shape and if you ever get tired of it you can sell it and get all your $ back or even make a little as they tend to go up in value if taken care of.

draftyranger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Shelbyville IN
    In a small carry gun, I would rather have a .38. Lighter, easier to manage recoil. For Target or open carry, I would get a .357. More ammo choices, more power. To Each there own for what they use it for! :)

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

Where are you located? We are a VERY helpful bunch, around here .....

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    If you are planning to practice allot, go to the range regularly with your pistol then I would say the semi automatic like a Glock . On the other hand, if you are going to purchase a gun, shoot it once or twice then stick it in your bedside gun security vault until the need arises, a wheel revolver would be the better choice. Less controls, levers, operational readiness to worry about when the need arises and less chance of accidentally discharging the weapon. I would recommend staying away from a double action, single action semi automatics unless you plan to become very familiar with the weapon and practice allot. Easy to overlook after the first shot that you are in cocked firing mode.

I would go to the range to practice...but maybe not enough for the semi. Also unless I am misunderstanding maintenance would be easier on the revolver.

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Are there LGS's around that specialize in revolvers or at least always seem to have a good selection. Looking at Indy and south?

NBLSVL.EDC.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    I carry a Chief's Special in the cargo pocket of my Tru-Spec pants.

Small enough that no one can tell I'm carrying it, but powerful enough to stop something that tries to harm me. It fits perfectly in the inner pocket of my cargo pocket.

That's my reasoning for owning a .38. It's a great BUG.

Top Bottom