Why can't I find a .357 lever action rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BillRocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2013
    Auburn
    I've been wanting a lever action .357 rifle but haven't seen a one. Walmart and local gun stores have .22lr, 30-30, and I think I even saw a .223 but not a single .357. I've looked online and it seems used .357s are listed for more than MSRP for new ones. Any input? Thanks all.

BillRocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2013
    Auburn
    Yeah, I've been there and GunsAmerica. I have seen plenty online but Id like to actually "see" one... Plus, how does it work with the shipping when you buy online? Do you pay a fee to the licensed dealer it needs to ship to?

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Yeah, I've been there and GunsAmerica. I have seen plenty online but Id like to actually "see" one... Plus, how does it work with the shipping when you buy online? Do you pay a fee to the licensed dealer it needs to ship to?
    You pay a transfer fee to the FFL who receives the weapon.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    .357 is a popular caliber with cowboy action shooters. It is difficult to find a Marlin 94 or Uberti 73 in that caliber. If you're looking for a Rossi 92, they are normally in good supply. Speak to your favorite local gun shop.

onetwoonetwo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    somewhere in the dark
    Elmore's and Beech Grove firearms usually have them in stock. seems like i have seen one at one of those two places recently. call em, they will let you know and usually hold one for a day or so if you can't get there right that second. i have(had) 2 and just walked in and there they were. anyways, just a couple of places to check. good luck, hope you find one sooner than later. they are a blast to shoot.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes. The online store ships it to your LGS. You pay them a transfer fee. USDS seems to be the cheapest in town at $15.

Last edited:

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    deer legal rifle a month before gun is a bad time to buy one if it were me i would check pawn shops in january i picked up a pre saftey rossi 92 for 180 after deer season a few years ago

DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    Deer legal is the main reason, I would say. I have several people asking me if I know where they can get one. Cowboy shooting is getting more popular too. A lot of times, I can get 50 rounds of .357 for about the same as what I can get 25 rounds of .44. All good reasons for not finding one right now.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Anyone know if Marlin/Remington is beyond their QC issues?

Yeah, all those old time Marlin workers who were hand fitting the parts to the rifles, they're all gone now. The real QC control issues came form Remington telling them they were getting fired but before you're fired you're building X number of rifles for us. So the old workers sabotaged some of the rifles. It happens.

Then Remington discovering the machinery for some of the rifles were so out of date and fubar didn't help the situation either.

Either way, thank Remington for really screwing up Marlin

Top Bottom