• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    So with the rain I decided to start my Monthly Midwest gun shop crawl.. This time starting off on the South West side of the state and working east.. Finding nothing great.. until I pull into Fall City Firearms. Crap should have brought more money. Rick greets me, Glad you dropped in just got a big load of guns in.. And Wow he did..

Heck I was like Arnold Schwarzenegger in that Terminator Movie.. He may have even had that Plasma Rifle that poor Arnold could not find. I should have asked.

Just one of cool and weird that Rick had.

A very Nice 1937 Mosin. But what was cool, was that the Metal band that you find on the upper hand guard. Was not there.. Instead the hand guard was all one piece with a carved wooden band. And the wood band is not a separate piece, the hand guard and the "band" is all one unit..

o89hmp.jpg

2iizfq1.jpg

And it seems like Rick is perfecting his own type of unique salesmanship

First he hits you with friendly Greetings, followed by humor, Youtube movies and vast knowledge

then Bam he follows through with Low Prices and good personal hygiene. How can you say no.???..

I had left my money hidden under the spare tire to try to resist temptation, It was to much for me..

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    The shortest stay a Mosin ever had in the shop...I told you that you could sleep on the couch until we get it up to the farm.....:)

Did you get to look under it yet???

Geeze do not rush it.. let the dance begin... you must have been a terror when girls started wearing skirts.. I walked out of that place with 5 rifles.. you have to give time to each of them equally.

Last edited:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The only problem with Falls City Firearms is that whenever I see the sign, I see the one next to it,. It makes me instantly think of that famous Indiana Jones scene

[video=youtube;7YyBtMxZgQs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YyBtMxZgQs[/video]

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    The shortest stay a Mosin ever had in the shop...I told you that you could sleep on the couch until we get it up to the farm.....:)

Did you get to look under it yet???

Ok got it off, the other girls are feeling neglected because of the time it took..

j11phv.jpg

30rnxxd.jpg

104f6vs.jpg

It does look cool.. Lot of work was done there for a nothing..

This note was stuck under the guard.. perhaps a name of a ship they were wary of or some
    kinda code I can not make out...

2na1lkj.jpg

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    SCW rifle? That handguard and the year makes me think it might be

You got me looking there, came across this web page..

https://scwmosin.weebly.com/spanish-made-stockhandguard.html

Now someone spent a little time grinding out that wood end cap. and that page tells about how the Spanish made them crude..

But in the web page the cleaning rod looks the same as this ones, and when they were showing the crudeness of the stock, this one
    has the same cutting near the middle barrel band and the sling escutcheons also show a certain crudeness.

2il1pxv.jpg

2jfgg2w.jpg

Fawkes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    have you seen that type of hand guard before???
    Yes. The Spanish were known for doing this. And with the 1937 date it is a strong candidate. The cleaning rod looks odd too. That is another SCW clue. Please put up pictures of the rest of the rifle.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Yes. The Spanish were known for doing this. And with the 1937 date it is a strong candidate. The cleaning rod looks odd too. That is another SCW clue. Please put up pictures of the rest of the rifle.

I will be glad to tomorrow, but I have been scouring the internet trying to find another example.. Now Rick told it was Spanish Civil War.. But I thought.. hell what does rick know???

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Very cool find! I've never seen one of those wooden barrel bands before. Where's MillerTyme when you need him? I wonder of 7.62x54R.net has any info on them?

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I learn something almost every time I get on INGO. I consider myself a collector but you guys are the masters. I didn't even know Mosin-Nagants were used in the Spanish Civil War until now.

Top Bottom