• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I was just looking at the Scout. . . Still $5-600 more than the AR. Price of a decent optic. . .

You only live once and you can't take it (money) with you when you go.

That being said my ENTIRE collection is getting revamped. Now that I have shot higher quality firearms I don't even take out my lower quality things anymore. Gone are all of my SKS', AK, cheap ar, Makarov pistols, etc. etc. When they aren't shot anymore they have no use. No use=gets sold.

But hey that is just me. Good luck with your hunt! BTW, if you get out and shoot that Garand you will end up owning one. Same goes for the M1A rifles.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    OP, are you saying you can only afford one on your list? That makes me sad.....

Grunt Soldier---Thank you for your service. And your story. Anything I might add to this post is feeble compared to your experience.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    OP, are you saying you can only afford one on your list? That makes me sad.....

Grunt Soldier---Thank you for your service. And your story. Anything I might add to this post is feeble compared to your experience.

no worries i enjoyed my service it was my pleasure. and lots of people who haven't been to the sand box still have tons of good info to add. what i posted are just my experiences and how i see stuff. someone else may have had different experiences with different kit that i haven't used.

i will throw this out as another option still in the ar platform. look at a 6.5 grendel. i don't personally own but from all i have read and seen its a amazing round. good out to 1k easy, shoots flatter than a 308, ect. but from what i have seen they are around the same price as the socom's and higher end ar's.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Buy the CMP Garand while you still can. AR's, Rem 700s, etc will be around for the foreseeable future. Garands on the other hand will not...well not from the CMP anyway.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have always thought of my 30.06 Garand as my "Base" rifle. I can play with other rifles and calibers, but good old reliable is always ready with a couple of bandoleers on the nail on the wall. I think every rifleman should have one, but that is just my opinion.

My favorite AR platform is the 6mm AR. This is the 6.5 Grendel necked down to 6mm. The problem with the 6.5 Grendel is that you can't get adequate velocity out of the 6.5 bullet and the small case.

A 105 out of the 6mm AR at 2850fps is something else entirely. It makes 600 yard shots and wind reading fun and profitable.

Neither the 6.5 Grendel or 6mm AR are the best choice for 1000 yards though. They will both reach out that far, but will make you work for it in the wind.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    the 5.56x45 cartridge has its shortcomings, but many men have met their demise via 5.56x45. As far as having a zombie killer, its all about compromise. The round obviously doesn't have the power or range of the .308 or 30.06, but its lighter, cheaper, and the availability is greater. You'll also be able to carry more 5.56 rounds wherever you go, in addition to having a greater magazine capacity. Are there better rifles for different scenarios? Sure, but it's hard to beat the versatility of an AR chambered for 5.56.

Top Bottom