Why Do People Buy GUNS/AMMO at Wal-Mart when . . . ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    I think it's nice to drive to one location and be able to buy your ammo,targets, milk, bologna and usually what ever else I need in one stop. Also I can't find a gun shop in Shelbyville.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    America products at an american store? I know walmart is currupt as hell but it dosent matter where you buy something. Blazer is still blazer no matter where it is bought at. Busides why pay 15-20 a box at a gun shop when I can get the same stuff for 11? Money is too tight to play favorites. The shops charge to much. They need to stop crying and lower theyre prices. I almost never buy ammo at the shop unless I need good defensive stuff.

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    amen

I buy from a variety of places. Local shops, Indy 1500, wal mart, etc.

I personally just wish more places would carry ammo and guns.
    :+1::spend:same here if wal-mart has it that is where im going if they dont and nobody on here is selling what i need i will get it from local shop

Catmanjoe

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Denham
    Walmart is the Devil!!!! Anybody else see the mom from Waterboy in their head?? I like Wally World where else can you go and guy underarm deodorant, underwear, light bulbs, oil and filter, milk, dog food, ammo, targets, TP, bar soap, Oh sorry I was typing my shopping list while I was reading this.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Some very good points of discussion made from both sides of the WallyWorld vs. Local shop ammo buying debate..... but as someone who once worked at a local shop I can tell you that used guns, ammo and accessories are where the profit margins are made.

The local shop needs to lower their prices on ammo, surely they can either be buying cheaper from another supplier, lower their profit margin or at least offer some sales on ammo. After all, increased sales on a slightly lower margin usually makes up for a higher margin on lower sales.:dunno:

WinChoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Alexandria
    America products at an american store? I know walmart is currupt as hell but it dosent matter where you buy something. Blazer is still blazer no matter where it is bought at. Busides why pay 15-20 a box at a gun shop when I can get the same stuff for 11? Money is too tight to play favorites. The shops charge to much. They need to stop crying and lower theyre prices. I almost never buy ammo at the shop unless I need good defensive stuff.

I agree with the turtle.

You don't want the lowest ammo prices? You'd rather pay more (for whatever non-self serving reason)? Why? Dad owns the local gun shop?

It's the American way. Free market competition. Go wave your "I ain't buyin' that foreign POS" flags at the local car dealership. That'll show 'em.

smooth308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    Martinsville,IN
    I think some people need to realize that walmart buys in such bulk that it is hard for the small gun shop owner to stay competive with walmart. Walmart probably orders pallets of ammo,were as the small guy orders a couple of boxes. He has to make up his shipping and make money also. I will pay a couple of dollars more to help. walmart makes theres up in bulk orders. Just as many of you do through bulk orders of ammo now times that buy a million thats walmarts buyin power.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    When I can buy the ammo cheaper elsewhere ill buy elsewhere. If they have it ill buy it. Ya service sucks but sometimes the local shop just dont have it.

Walmart sells everything in one place, whats not to like. :dunno:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

Yup, Wal-Mart keeps EXTRA records, and video tapes of transactions at the gun counter. From what I understand everyone who buys ammo or guns is videotaped and that tape is kept. The record of the sale is also maintained.

NRA Statement on Bloomberg - Wal-Mart Initiative to Retain Store Records of Gun Sales and Force Employee Background Checks

Monday, April 14, 2008

Statement by Chris Cox:

“Today’s announcement by New York City (NYC) Mayor Mike Bloomberg comes as no surprise to National Rifle Association (NRA) members across the country. None of these joint Wal-Mart/Mayor Bloomberg initiatives will lower crime, because they ignore the real cause of crime -- criminals.

Mayor Bloomberg has long confused his NYC mayoral podium for a national bully pulpit from which he feels entitled to push his personal gun control agenda outside NYC. Now, instead of trying to impose his philosophy on other cities and states, Mike Bloomberg has set his sights on our country’s largest retailer, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

Bloomberg proves his disdain for individual firearm ownership, and his assertion that only the privileged should own a firearm and should have the right to defend themselves and their loved ones.

Mayors and Wal-Mart Back Gun Sales Plan

By JEREMY W. PETERS
    Published: April 15, 2008
    PHOTO: Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg attending a meeting of the coalition Mayors Against Illegal Guns in Washington on Monday. (PHOTOGRAPH BY BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/GETTY IMAGES)
    A coalition of mayors in favor of gun control, led by Michael R. Bloomberg of New York and Thomas M. Menino of Boston, said on Monday that it had reached a 10-point agreement with Wal-Mart, the country's largest seller of guns, to track the sale of firearms more closely.

The agreement between Wal-Mart and the group, Mayors Against Illegal Guns, which Mr. Bloomberg helped to organize in 2006, calls for turning a more watchful eye on firearm sales, including videotaping sales of guns and conducting criminal background checks on store clerks who handle guns.

It also calls for keeping a record each time the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives links a gun bought at Wal-Mart to a crime. If a person who buys a gun linked to a crime were to return to a Wal-Mart to buy another gun, the purchase would be flagged. It would then be up to the store whether to permit the purchase.​

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I've never completed a sale at the sporting goods desk for ammo. They hand it to me and I go to the front to check out after I complete my shopping. So, I guess I'm not on camera.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I've never completed a sale at the sporting goods desk for ammo. They hand it to me and I go to the front to check out after I complete my shopping. So, I guess I'm not on camera.

Yep, half of the time when I go, the sporting goods clerk isn't there and they check me out at the automotive register.

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    I think some people need to realize that walmart buys in such bulk that it is hard for the small gun shop owner to stay competive with walmart. Walmart probably orders pallets of ammo,were as the small guy orders a couple of boxes. He has to make up his shipping and make money also. I will pay a couple of dollars more to help. walmart makes theres up in bulk orders. Just as many of you do through bulk orders of ammo now times that buy a million thats walmarts buyin power.

Something tells me that in this current climate, that gunshop owners could buy pallets of ammo and not have it sitting around to terribly long either...

Granted, nobody can compete with walmart bulk orders and their prices, but shop owners ain't ordering a couple boxes at a time.

One thing I am absolutely finished with is buying ammo from the dealers at the shows. They are the ones cleaning out walmart shelves and marking it up 50%.

I do try to pay cash when I make my ammo purchasees. I'm probably 50/50 with cash vs card.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I buy from a variety of places. Local shops, Indy 1500, wal mart, etc.

I personally just wish more places would carry ammo and guns.

same here. I've only bought a couple guns at walmart. Both were great deals, but they don't have much else that I want out of guns. Ammo when i can find it is a good price. But when I can't find it I will buy wherever i can, even if I have to pay a bit more at the local gun shop (within reason). Lately a new local gun shop has been seeing more business out of me. He doesn't have a huge selection, but for just getting started, not too bad. With good prices on some stuff, but kinda high on others. But he also is a milsurp shop and has good prices on most of that, along with good service. So I don't mind giving him my business. Esp since when he started 90% of his guns were from his personal collection. But seems to be getting more new stuff all the time. I shop others sometimes too if I am in the area or can drive a bit. Sadly around here Dunhams has been one of the only places to have ammo in stock, but their gun prices are kinda high.

Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    I agree on all counts. I buy pretty much everything at Bradis after checking all of the other area local stores. Walmart is not on my list of places to check.

-Calvin

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    only ammo i purchased from walmart are shotgun shells.i buy the ones that are $4.96 abox. the reason i buy that ammo there is because the all of my "local" shops want $5.99 and up for the same stuff.and i will continue to purchase that ammo at walmart until my local shops decide to drop their price.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom