• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    That's not always an advantage. At local steel plate matches, I see many shooters have to reload their hi-cap mags on stages with as few as 6 targets. I think the high round count makes many guys spray and pray, thinking they have lots of ammo and they can miss a few targets.

I usually shoot a revolver. I get funny looks from newer guys that don't know me and they wonder how a revolver could shoot these matches. With a limited amount of ammo, you can't afford to miss so I usually don't. I'm not super fast, but I still have fun beating many of the hi-cap, semi-auto guys. Oh, and my revolvers do use clips. :):

When SASS first came about a team using Peacemakers beat a California SWAT team using semi-autos. :cool:

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    When SASS first came about a team using Peacemakers beat a California SWAT team using semi-autos. :cool:

That's true. Some of those SASS shooters are very fast with the single action revolvers. I know a couple that sounded like they were shooting a semi-auto very fast. I shoot gunfighter in SASS. One SA revolver in each hand. I'm also a bad guy that wears a red sash. My avatar is me in my cowboy duds.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    OK, OK, Honestly? The first revolver I bought, I picked up because I was sick and tired of chasing brass. The second, third and fourth revolvers were because after that first one, I was bitten, and just couldnt shake the need to have a revolver for every occasion.

Today I own revolvers for hunting, CC, OC, target, and a few just because.

As for the cost? Well, mostly I have bought used, and look for the really good bargains. I have one revolver that MIGHT have been more expensive than the majority of my autos new, but on the average, they are about 6 one half a dozen the other as far as cost to land in my safe. Some of the revolvers I have looked at are pricey, but I can count as many, if not more autos that are on my drool list that are as, or more, expensive than the revolvers I lust after.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    uhg...watching hickock45 shoot some awesome revolvers, and getting jealous at those of you who have a nice revolver or collection of revolvers that you bought at a reasonable price during reasonable times......they dont hold value that i see as worthwhile anymore....sorry to bump, but it saddens me, that a gun enthusiast on a modest budget, cant afford to shoot a .357 mag anymore

Maddog1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    the cost issue has been covered. I love wheel guns because they are just fun to shoot, accurate, and because of the history that is tied to them. Plus I've never had a misfire.

Dmoore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Otisco
    Revolvers like anything else are worth what one will spend on one.

If they were in less demand they would be cheaper just like gas. I prefer revolvers but I am old school just don't see much need for high cap pistols as to me a handgun is just to get you to your fighting rifle or shotgun. 8 shots or less is fine with me. I can change out 1911 mags or load up from speed loaders just fine.
    This seems to always be the case with anything that has been proven reliable. It's just a matter of how much people will pay for something.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    They're more costly to make.

Supply and demand doesn't come close to explaining the entire price gap.

That being said, I prefer function over form. And I consider the semi auto to be a superior technology for all but a few very specific use cases, none of which apply to me.

OP, the only good reason to purchase a revolver is because you want to purchase a revolver.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Just jumped w/o reading the whole thread but, 1st, which semi-autos are you comparing them too? If you can pop polymer lower recievers out of a mold, that's a big part of your answer. I think revolvers require a lot more machining and the action has more small moving parts, so competing with production costs of semi autos with metal recievers will still be a challenge.
    Why own one besides the fact that they too are guns? :-D I've heard that revolvers can be more accurate because they have a fixed barrel (not that most of us could tell); since a revolver isn't 'recoil actuated' you can load it with different calibers. ie you can load a .357mag with: .357mag, 38spl, 38S&W; ditto with a .44mag. And I'm sure someone already said that they're fun to shoot.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Some of you are missing a valuable point.
    I had a FFL several years ago and I remember that I bought 2 S&W 625's right after they came out a little over 20 years ago.
    Dealer cost was $425 and as I sold several of these I knew the price well. A 625 today in good shape is a $750-900 gun.
    I sold a lot of Glocks in the day and while I don't remember the dealer cost as well I think it was $280 or so. That gun might get that price today.
    The cheaper semi-autos will probably NEVER be worth more than you paid for them, unless you keep them 20+ years and then they won't go up that much.
    The more expensive Semi-Auto's will hold their value better but it still is hard to compete with a good revolver in value.

ru6797

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    Niles
    revolver are good for the first time buyer, with a semi auto you need more training, clearing a jam, mag strings going bad, you just load a rev and it's good to go, if it is hammerless you can even shot thru your pocket, semi auto would jam up, also you can with a rev at close range I mean contact it will work most semi auto's it jammed up to something will go out of battery

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom