Why do so many gun owners dislike the NRA?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    He was very clearly talking about HUNTING when he was talking about the magazine restrictions. Most states have magazine capacity limits on hunting guns. That is not really an issue. Listen more closely. He also states, in follow ups, that assault weapons are full auto, not semi-auto. That is not in this clip.

All that said, he is not the leader of the NRA. In fact he is not all that well respected. And I believe he was voted out of office. Clearly he doesn't represent many members of the NRA. And his positions, even the parsed positions were never supported by the lobbying arm of the NRA.

It should also be noted that William Ruger Sr, one of the founders of Ruger Firearms is the guy who said that civilians don't need more than 10 rounds, and he did that while he was making pistols that had 15 rounds. Again, just like here, he was talking about hunting but he was taken out of context.

I'm not saying that I defend Ruger or Jackson, because I don't. But it is amazing that people complain about the press parsing words but then when it is used to support an attack on the NRA pro-gunners who otherwise dislike the NRA are glad to support the press. Seems very hypocritical to me.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    He was very clearly talking about HUNTING when he was talking about the magazine restrictions. Most states have magazine capacity limits on hunting guns. That is not really an issue. Listen more closely. He also states, in follow ups, that assault weapons are full auto, not semi-auto. That is not in this clip.

All that said, he is not the leader of the NRA. In fact he is not all that well respected. And I believe he was voted out of office. Clearly he doesn't represent many members of the NRA. And his positions, even the parsed positions were never supported by the lobbying arm of the NRA.

It should also be noted that William Ruger Sr, one of the founders of Ruger Firearms is the guy who said that civilians don't need more than 10 rounds, and he did that while he was making pistols that had 15 rounds. Again, just like here, he was talking about hunting but he was taken out of context.

I'm not saying that I defend Ruger or Jackson, because I don't. But it is amazing that people complain about the press parsing words but then when it is used to support an attack on the NRA pro-gunners who otherwise dislike the NRA are glad to support the press. Seems very hypocritical to me.

Odd, I just watched it again, and he said from a "keeping the peace" perspective that nobody should have a larger than 5 round magazine, and if you were a hunter, you shouldn't have a capacity greater than 1 round. He then went on to say that "assault weapons" should only be in the hands of the military and the police. Whether he was talking about true assault weapons, or merely "black rifles," I *STRONGLY* disagree.

Again, he is just another in a long line of supposedly "pro-gun" people who have spouted quotes that could have come directly from the anti-right organizations' handbook.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    So to set the record straight, Sandra Froman's term as President of the NRA expired in 2007, John Sigler was voted into office. Traditionally the office of the President of the NRA is a 1 term office, there have been a couple exceptions, Charlton Heston being the most noted. and Joaquin Jackson was the victim of a TV news crew's 'selective editing' process. I believe he also was voted out of office.
    Absolute and complete non-sense. His words were VERY clear. You would have to be deaf and dumb to buy this BS he was a victim of selective editing.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    OK we have to agree to disagree on that point.

Still, this guy is not the leader of the NRA. His positions, selective editing or not, do not reflect the official positions of the NRA. Since they don't reflect the official positions then what the heck difference do they make?

Last I heard Josh Sugarmann was a member of the GOA and the JPFO. Should we condemn those groups because of his views?

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Odd, I just watched it again, and he said from a "keeping the peace" perspective that nobody should have a larger than 5 round magazine, and if you were a hunter, you shouldn't have a capacity greater than 1 round. He then went on to say that "assault weapons" should only be in the hands of the military and the police. Whether he was talking about true assault weapons, or merely "black rifles," I *STRONGLY* disagree.
    EXACTLY. First, he's been around the NRA and shooting circles long enough to know that when the media is talking about "assault rifles" they're not talking about the nearly impossible to get unless your rich machineguns.

Secondly, only a complete retard would discuss hunting with machineguns. He was clearly talking about semi-automatic firearms. He, like Zumbo, is trying to do the back peddle as fast as he can. Again, you would have to be deaf and dumb to buy this outright lie.

Again, he is just another in a long line of supposedly "pro-gun" people who have spouted quotes that could have come directly from the anti-right organizations' handbook.
    Yup, and his views aren't unique among NRA leadership.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Did you bother do dig any deeper? The GOA, of which I am a member, loves to trot out the Jackson YouTube video as 'proof' the NRA is as bad as the Brady Campaign.

STATEMENT OF JOAQUIN JACKSON

Recently, some misunderstandings have arisen about a news interview in which I participated a few years ago. After recently watching a tape of that interview, I understand the sincere concerns of many people, including dear friends of mine. And I am pleased and eager to clear up any confusion about my long held belief in the sanctity of the Second Amendment.

In the interview, when asked about my views of “assault weapons,” I was talking about true assault weapons – fully automatic firearms. I was not speaking, in any way, about semiautomatic rifles. While the media may not understand this critical distinction, I take it very seriously. But, as a result, I understand how some people may mistakenly take my comments to mean that I support a ban on civilian ownership of semiautomatic firearms. Nothing could be further from the truth. And, unfortunately, the interview was cut short before I could fully explain my thoughts and beliefs.

In fact, I am a proud owner of such rifles, as are millions of law-abiding Americans. And many Americans also enjoy owning fully automatic firearms, after being cleared by a background check and meeting the rigorous regulations to own such firearms. And these millions of lawful gun owners have every right – and a Second Amendment right – to own them.

As a hunter, I take great pride in my marksmanship. Every hunter should practice to be skilled to take prey with a single shot, if possible. That represents ethical, humane, skilled hunting. In the interview several years ago, I spoke about this aspect of hunting and my belief that no hunter should take the field and rely upon high capacity magazines to take their prey.

But that comment should never be mistaken as support for the outright banning of any ammunition magazines. In fact, such bans have been pursued over the years by state legislatures and the United States Congress and these magazine bans have always proven to be abject failures.

Let me be very clear. As a retired Texas Ranger, during 36 years of law enforcement service, I was sworn to uphold the United States Constitution. As a longtime hunter and shooter, an NRA Board Member, and as an American – I believe the Second Amendment is a sacred right of all law-abiding Americans and, as I stated in the interview in question, I believe it is the Second Amendment that ensures all of our other rights handed down by our Founding Fathers.

I have actively opposed gun bans and ammunition and magazine bans in the past, and I will continue to actively oppose such anti-gun schemes in the future.

I appreciate my friends who have brought this misunderstanding to light, for it has provided me an opportunity to alleviate any doubts about my strong support for the NRA and our Second Amendment freedom.

####​

Read About It:

Posted: 8/15/2007 3:22:01 PM

Still a problem in my eyes... if I want a fully-automatic weapon that should be my right. I should be able to have a mini-gun mounted on my lawn tractor if I feel so inclined.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I wonder how many folks that dislike the NRA voice opinions to their elected officials as often as they voice complaints about the NRA.....

Not accusing, just wondering......:dunno:

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I wonder how many folks that dislike the NRA voice opinions to their elected officials as often as they voice complaints about the NRA.....

I was wondering the same thing. Even if they've made some huge mistakes, surely they'd still listen to their constituency better than do most in Congress.

So it sounds as though we have two opinions: Anti-NRA: vote "no" with your wallet; Pro-NRA: continue to support and try to change them.

right winger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Hymera
    The NRA has done some silly things. Mostly what the NRA is blamed for is caving in a couple times and compromising. One thing that shocks me is that the NRA gets blamed for caving into the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban. The recounts of the story differ, some suggest that it would not pass at all except the NRA helped to pass it. Others suggest it was going to pass so the NRA stepped in and helped craft some compromise language like the 10 year sunset.

The way I see it, the NRA is really the ONLY game in town that can actually affect gun rights in a positive manner. I'm a member of the GOA and the JFPO in addition to the NRA. I'm a past member of the 2nd Amendment Foundation and the CCRKBA. But here is what I know, at the end of the day the politicians fear the NRA and its members but don't give a giant rat's butt about the other organizations because they simply cannot turn out the vote, the letters, the complaints or the protests.

I strongly believe that all gun owners need to be vocal members of the NRA. I also believe that it is very wise to be a member of at least one or two other pro-gun organizations to keep the NRA from drifting too far. I think the current attitude at the NRA is a no-compromise attitude. That has not always been the case. So there is room to criticize.

However, the reality is that the GOA, JFPO, 2nd Amend Found, and the CCRKBA combined will have about as much influence on the House & the Senate as Bob Barr and the Libertarian Party had on the election in November. Hang your hat on any of them, or all of them, and you might as well turn in your guns today. Best bet is to marry up to the NRA and work to keep them honest by also joining GOA, etc.

Amen the NRa may make a few mistakes. But in the long run they do a great amount of good.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    After watching that video, as far as I am concerned, Joaquin Jackson can take a flying leap off the nearest tall building. I didn't see any selective editing. I saw a director of the NRA say that "civilians" should only a magazine capacity of five rounds. That was not selective editing. You either say it, or you don't. He said it. He also stated that assault weapons should only be in the hands of the military, or in the hands of the police. Once again, a police officer or retired police officer showing the elitist attitude that a lot of them have. "We should be trusted with these powerful weapons, but you civilians should not." I find that utterly offensive. There is nothing that makes "them" any more special than "me", but for some un-Godly reason we have elevated law enforcement to a semi-deity status in this country.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008

I do all the time.

As a matter of fact, those who express their discontent with the NRA's inaction/anti-gun actions are probably more likely to contact their Congress critters than those who ignore the NRA's actions... or worse, make excuses for them.

Top Bottom