Why do you feel safer with a grip safety?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    One reason I didn't purchase an XD was specifically because of the grip safety, actually. When I went shopping for a new semi-auto, I narrowed it down to the XD and the Glock. The 'issue' I had with the XD was the thickness (or rather, thiness) of the grip safety 'blade'.

For me, when grabbing and gripping the XD, the blade design of the grip safety falls naturally in to the 'hollow' spot in the web of my hand, between my index finger and thumb.

While this grip works for every other gun I own or have used, my 'regular' grip failed to engage the grip safety properly, thus leaving the trigger deactivated. Potentially, a fatal error if a draw & fire scenario ever presented itself. Re-gripping at the range or during training is one thing. Doing that during an actual (god forbid) gunfight could be a 'last mistake'.

The opttion then was to either learn a 'new or modified' grio, one which works for every other handgun I've ever used (including 1911's), or look for dfferent handgun.

The Glock felt the same to me in all other respects, and the grip safety issue was simply non-existent, so the Glock was selected.

Simple as that.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    I don't think a grip safety would have prevented that.

The video clearly shows the Glock going off after he holsters it and THEN pulls on his shirt, a grip safety would have prevented the gun from going off, no doubt about it.

I will see if I can post the vid.

Higginbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Columbus
    Ok, so one function is if you get something caught in the trigger guard, but let go of the pistol before it discharges, then it could potentially prevent an injury. I can see that. Not sure that is something that I'd worry too much about, but I can understand it.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    The video clearly shows the Glock going off after he holsters it and THEN pulls on his shirt, a grip safety would have prevented the gun from going off, no doubt about it.

I will see if I can post the vid.

I can't watch the video on mobile so thank you for sharing that! In that particular instance a grip safety would probably have prevented the discharge. I (wrongly) assumed it was like most ND's involving reholstering where it goes off on the way into the holster.

Thank you for the correction 357!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    That to me is a negative. There might be a time where I can't necessarily get a good grip, but still need to fire.

Though circumstances would be quite rare, this is the issue that I personally have with handguns having a grip safety.

Things need to be "just right" with a gun so equipped in order for it to work correctly.

So many of us preach repeatedly the need to carry a backup / spare mags "just in case" - but some of that fails to reach the other part of the hardware scenario.

What if you just can't get a good grip on your gun? What if, somehow, you have to fire your gun while it's in contact with someone - and you have to push your slide forward with your thumb in order to get it into battery?

You start getting a wonky grip with an XD or a 1911 - and it may not fire at all.

You start getting a wonky grip with another gun and it should still fire - at least once.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The Glock "trigger safety" is :bs:. A firing pin block prevents the gun firing unless the trigger is fully depressed. It doesn't keep you from "Glocking" yourself in the leg, etc.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    When I first got my G19 and started carrying it I almost shot myself in the leg. My shirt caught on the trigger as I was holstering it. Luckily, for me, I felt my shirt tighten on my shoulder and unholstered to discover what had happened, but if my shirt had caught a little lower I never would have noticed. I have also had it happen one time since on the drawstring to a fleece hoody. That time I caught it before it was too late as well but only because I pay close attention after holstering it the first time. I am not switching to an XD or XDm (which I have owned), because I can take the time to pay attention when I holster and not be careless. I see the value and detractors for a grip safety and have no issue with them at all, it's just not worth buying another gun to get one when diligence and paying attention to what you're doing give the same benefit.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Mine stays in the holster when taking the holster on or off.
    I have no reason to take it out of the holster unless I need to use it.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I'm sure that's a good practice, if it works appropriately for your holster. That works well for one of my IWB holsters. For another (which conceals better with some clothing), the holster is less rigid and not easy to remove in a smooth, straight manner from the belt. Some of us also have other methods (again dependent on clothing) which would make removing the holster and gun together a risky maneuver. I particularly don't like putting the holster and gun back ON together. That's when it's sometimes difficult to keep good control of the direction the gun is pointing.
    I expect there are also people that remove the gun from the holster when the gun is locked in the car, in order to fit the gun in a more secure location.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W

Unfortunately all won't follow the same.

Some will have to unholster in order to enter some buildings, restricted area's are a burden for many.
    Reholstering is a common issue for some, and this (grip safety) is a viable option.

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    Looks like the cop in this video could have used a grip safety too, he definitely did not have a good shooting grip on the gun that is for sure! Not sure what exactly you would call his grip.... I swear he only had a couple of fingers on it there just before he shoots himself. Anyway, appears a grip safety might have helped him out some.

CAUGHT ON CAMERA: Off-Duty Cop Negligently Shoots Himself In The Stomach On Elevator | Concealed Nation

I am not against them, but I don't require one either. I have tried XDs and my hand has no issue with the grip safety so I have no problems with those. I am a lefty so 98% of guns with a safety I can't use, so the extra safety is one of the few I could use as otherwise I just go without. I'm fine without a manual safety, but adding a grip safety is not a deal breaker for me anyway. Are there aftermarket bigger grip safety's for the XD line? I've never looked.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Or disable it. All of my 1911s had the GS pinned off many years ago. On a 1911 the GS only blocks the trigger. It does not block the sear or hammer or the firing pin. The gun can still discharge if dropped on a cocked hammer or on the muzzle. Make sure your thumb safety is 100% functional and your finger is off the trigger. If you are incapable of doing that then you should be carrying a revolver. My main issue with grip safeties is if you grab the gun in a hurry and do not get a perfect grip - the GS will prevent the gun from firing when you desperately need it to. I have repaired a bunch of 1911s because the GS was so poorly adjusted at the factory you had to chicken choke the gun to fire it. Fail. The Series 80 firing pin block is good in theory but I have also seen a lot of them so poorly fitted at the factory that the gun was on the ragged edge of not firing. Safety is a very good thing BUT being able to fire the gun when you need to is far more important to me. If your gun fails to fire when you need it then it doesn't really matter what caliber it is or how many rounds it holds or how lightweight it is or how much you paid for it. It's just a paperweight. It HAS TO WORK every time.

Last edited:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    If the grip safety is a big deal just tape it down

Not legal for some of the shooting sports, for what it is worth.

I try try to watch closely to make sure that the thumb safety gets flipped up after "load and make ready" . With newer competitors being a bit nervous and folks not always shooting the same platform you will catch people going to the holster with the thumb safety off.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Don't know a ton about this yet, just my theory, but just got a 1911 and glad it has a grip safety. Unlike a glock 19, the weight of the loaded pistol itself is almost enough to pull the trigger if it snags something and you've forgot your thumb safety. With a polymer firearm, the weight of the pistol is less than the trigger pull by a fair margin which should allow a tactile sensation indicating a problem as the firearm is holstered. One might say, don't forget your thumb safety, but I like redundancy in safety.

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    If OP is keeping count of yes/no votes, put me down for less safer/more dangerous with grip safety. Am impressed with how the MOD2 runs though.

Top Bottom