• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Thanks to everyone for the post and the responses. I have always wondered why a couple of my neighbors were so happy about buying their glocks. As far as looks, there is nothing, in my opinion, that is great. I have never shot one but I have never heard that they are anything special. It always seemed that they were a mid-priced pistol with a famous name and so many police departments use them.

I personally own a kimber 1911, baby eagle 40, sig p226 elite stainless 40 along with a couple of revolvers. I accurate with my baby eagle and my Ruger 22mag revolver but not so with my others but I have not shot my Kimber or Sig yet. They are both about 1-2 months old and just have not had any time to go shoot.

I am an amateur gun collector. Mainly inexpensive rifles and pistols and have recently changed my mind set of getting higher quality verse quantity so I dont see buying a glock and after reading this post, I do not see a reason that I should consider it.

Thanks again!!

To be honest, I don't know why Glock has the following that it does. It's a good gun, but it's not the holy grail of firearms that many hold them up as. I own them because I want a cheap, reliable gun in my collection of EDC weapons. I want something that I can take in places that tend to screw up the finish on a gun and not have to worry about it. I've actually had more issues with my Glocks than with 10 1911s I've owned, but once they are broken in, they work reliably.

Why buy a Glock? They can be bought cheap and sold for near the same money spent. They can be easier on furniture and car seats due to grip profiles and a lack of leather shredding checkering on the MSH. When I'm lying on my side, under a car in heavy gravel at a junk yard, with the pistol being ground into the rocks as I wrestle a part off of a car, a Glock makes a better companion than a 1911, no matter what 1911 it is.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Initially I hated Glocks for no better reason that the legions of fanboys that are out there. But sadly once you get into the shooting world you see that every manufacturer has legions of rabid fans that are as bad or worse. And admittedly I was a bit of a 1911 snob in believing that only guns of metal and steel were worth owning or fawning over.

but after giving a Glock an honest chance I've owned more Glocks than any other brand. Even my precious 1911s have taken a back seat to them. To each his own, I wouldn't disparage somebody for their choice in guns whether I like the brand or not but I do think that you ignore them at your peril.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    Glocks have the least number of moving parts :):

A Glock 26 has 34 parts according to the diagram I just looked up.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't hate anything or anybody; that said I don't own a Glock(or any plastic pistol) and don't want one.
    I just have to point out that my Makarov has 27, but since a Glock has no safety, I won't count it, in order to compare apples to apples, so it's only 26:alcoholic:

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I could understand why people hate Glocks in a way. Kind of like the OP and a few others were getting at... It's like me, I don't really hate Lebron James, but I hate all of the hype that surrounds him...

I do still love my Glocks and think they are fantastic and don't mind to an extent the hype; but I can most certainly relate it to other things and see others points about it.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I could understand why people hate Glocks in a way. Kind of like the OP and a few others were getting at... It's like me, I don't really hate Lebron James, but I hate all of the hype that surrounds him...

I do still love my Glocks and think they are fantastic and don't mind to an extent the hype; but I can most certainly relate it to other things and see others points about it.

the Lebron comparison is very good. You know he is great you just get tired of hearing it...plus all the uberfans that are out there that refuse to believe that somebody else can or could play as well. You travel to the 1911 forums and it is the same there... M&P forums...the same. HK forums...well we all know the HK guys are the worst :D but all that hyperbole just wears everybody down and then when something does go wrong with their favorite brand everybody in turn dog piles and makes it even worse! LOL

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    the Lebron comparison is very good. You know he is great you just get tired of hearing it...plus all the uberfans that are out there that refuse to believe that somebody else can or could play as well. You travel to the 1911 forums and it is the same there... M&P forums...the same. HK forums...well we all know the HK guys are the worst :D but all that hyperbole just wears everybody down and then when something does go wrong with their favorite brand everybody in turn dog piles and makes it even worse! LOL
    Yes it most certainly does apply to more than just Glocks that is for sure!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Yes it most certainly does apply to more than just Glocks that is for sure!
    It's rarely the gun that turns people off, but the zealots that think that they've discovered the one true, perfect tool. The fan boys are fun to mess with though. Except, don't mess with 1911 fan boys. Those guys are mean and will gladly pistol whip you for showing disrespect to an elder. The Glock fan boys just start frothing and stammering. The CZ fan boys are no fun to mess with either. They simply know that they have the best gun on the market and dismiss you as being an idiot and move on. No drama there.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    It's rarely the gun that turns people off, but the zealots that think that they've discovered the one true, perfect tool. The fan boys are fun to mess with though. Except, don't mess with 1911 fan boys. Those guys are mean and will gladly pistol whip you for showing disrespect to an elder. The Glock fan boys just start frothing and stammering. The CZ fan boys are no fun to mess with either. They simply know that they have the best gun on the market and dismiss you as being an idiot and move on. No drama there.

:dunno:......If'y.......but they a well made piece.......

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana

Gross'ly OVER-priced.....an' over-rated......like Kimbers........
    :popcorn:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

True. Most of us have our favorite flavor. I like to joke that Glocks are for the simple minded and HKs are for the wanna-be operators but it is really all in jest. They are fine guns and I wouldn't mind having one of several other varieties. It's just that every time I have disposable income I find another CZ I can't seem to live without. I am certain that is true of 1911, Glock, HK and Sig fanbois as well.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I don't hate them...just don't like them either. The only thing I hate about them is the people who own them and won't stop telling my why they are so great and why I should immediately sell every gun I own and replace them all with Glocks.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I hate them because I went to the GSSF event today at Atlanta. Figured there would be a bunch of "average" Glock shooters there and instead was confronted by a bunch of showoffs ! ! Nice guys - but . . . . just say'in.

One guy ran the plate rack ( six plates ) - 2.8, 2.82, 2.91, and 2.84. Of course, he didn't have to draw and shoot so anyone should have been able to do that ! NOT !

mwingeier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I bought a Glock because it was within my means, it is reliable (as are many other fine brands), I like simplicity, and I like the way they look. I am sure that it will not be the only brand that ends up in my collection. Sigs have their fanboys too. :):

sopwith21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Indianapolis
    To be fair, I've heard more sensible, logical non-fan-boy propaganda-free commentary from Glock guys on this thread than in the last five gun shows I attended combined.

Salute.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Glocks aren't pretty but they do what they are designed to do very very well. They are designed for carry and duty guns. In this respect they are top tier all the way.

Weight: No pistol weighs less of comparable size. I do not like absolutes but in this case it is currently true.
    Width: No pistol is thinner of comparable size. Once again i hate absolutes but in this case its true.
    Round Capacity: in a Glock 17 you get 17+1 rounds of 9mm that is still top tier.
    Accuracy: Glock firearms are very accurate. I will say if you are not used to the grip angle it me bother you for a bit but once you realize its as natural as pointing at someone you will get over it.
    Price: Glocks are a quality firearm on the cheap side of things. From the initial cost to the cost of parts and magazines. I can buy FACTORY Glock mags for $20 all day long does anyone else compare?
    Reliability: Besides the Gen4 bobble which has long since been dealt with. Glocks are known for reliability from mud/dirt/sand to pocket fuzz they work as well as any other pistol.

If we are going to the shooting range Glocks are among my least favorite to shoot for enjoyment. CZ75/1911's/My Beretta/Ruger target 22's/ lots of stuff are more fun and have more flair and style. But for carry and self defense Glocks are pretty damn good.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Grip angle.
    Horribe sights from the factory.
    Less then desirable factory trigger.
    I don't upgrade my pistols. If I don't like them out of the box, they get sold.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Grip angle.
    Horribe sights from the factory.
    Less then desirable factory trigger.
    I don't upgrade my pistols. If I don't like them out of the box, they get sold.

Because they don't come with NS or FO or anything from the factory. I personally like the cheap sights idea when i know what i want on the pistol it keeps you from paying twice for sights.

Top Bottom