• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ithaca45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2014
    United States
    So, the other day I made a statement that I've made before but this time I was questioned about it. The statement: "I love my lever guns." Then a friend who is not a gun guy said "Why?" I guess that caught me off guard because in the past when I've said it to gun folks they just smiled knowingly and nodded. Well this time I had to tell him why I liked them so I started with the fact that they remind me of watching old cowboy movies with my dad and then getting to the fact that I shoot them well. So, why do you like your lever guns?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Sure, horse operas are part of it, but television and movies always, always, always play a big role in gun selection. INGO has a 1, 257 page thread devoted to the pistol featured in The Avengers.

For me,

1. the lever gun is flat. Thus it stores well on a motorcycle, horse or behind back seat of the Tacoma.

2. it is seemingly more "friendly" than an eeevil black rifle which can matter in various scenarios, e.g. Chicago.

3. The .30-30 hits the same if not harder than an AK and is far cheaper and lighter.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Sure, horse operas are part of it, but television and movies always, always, always play a big role in gun selection. INGO has a 1, 257 page thread devoted to the pistol featured in The Avengers.

For me,

1. the lever gun is flat. Thus it stores well on a motorcycle, horse or behind back seat of the Tacoma.

2. it is seemingly more "friendly" than an eeevil black rifle which can matter in various scenarios, e.g. Chicago.

3. The .30-30 hits the same if not harder than an AK and is far cheaper and lighter.

This post makes me want a lever gun now.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    RAmNq-1443477816-blog-28.jpg

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    THere is something enjoyable about shooting a variety of firearm (and their respective actions)!!

10 or 15 yrs ago, after burning through a brick of .22 in semiautos, it was always a blast to pull out the pump guns, lever guns, break actions, etc. You end up appreciating the mechanics involved a bit more.

Lever guns are:
    long lasting
    have practical limits for most shooters using irons (under 300 yds, more typically under 150)
    beautiful
    available in fun calibers - 30-30, 357, 44 mag, 44-40, etc
    the BEST definition of a working heirloom gun in my book.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    THere is something enjoyable about shooting a variety of firearm (and their respective actions)!!

10 or 15 yrs ago, after burning through a brick of .22 in semiautos, it was always a blast to pull out the pump guns, lever guns, break actions, etc. You end up appreciating the mechanics involved a bit more.

Lever guns are:
    long lasting
    have practical limits for most shooters using irons (under 300 yds, more typically under 150)
    beautiful
    available in fun calibers - 30-30, 357, 44 mag, 44-40, etc
    the BEST definition of a working heirloom gun in my book.

Yes. Just like a 1911.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I attribute it to the feel of fine traditional craftsmanship in your hands. Good walnut with silky smooth blued steel.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    from top to bottom....45/70...450 Alaskan...44 Magnum...22 rimfire, not shown is my Marlin Levermatic in 22 Mag...

the 45/70 is my oldest, a Marlin 1881 made in 1888, a real pleasure to shoot with a 350 cast over TrailBoss powder...

IMG_0537_zpsgfog4sff.jpg

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    I am surprised that no one brought up that you could carry rifle and pistol in same caliber!!! They are very packable, light and carry easy. And let me ask, is their a caliber not available in a lever, save for 50 Bmg? Is their a powder you can't use to reload for one? And let's see ya try the shooting the target over your shoulder looking in a mirror behind you thing with an ak or ar and not look silly!!!

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    ^beat me to the same caliber pistol and rifle idea.

I'll add they are sexy. I get swamped at the public ranges when I pull out my stainless and walnut marlin 44mag.

bmoan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 30, 2015
    Bloomington
    Of all the guns I own, and at any cost my Henry GB 22LR just feels and looks like the gun of mine that will get passed down for generations

Top Bottom