• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Is it just some standard design that works really well or something? What's so great about it? I keep hearing about a good trigger. Some say they're harder to take care of (?). They're pretty damn expensive for even a mid-grade one. I've heard not so good things about the 9mm variety (not what it was designed for it seems); even those are super expensive.

So what's the big deal? Seems like people don't even care about other .45s lol.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I'm sure one of the religiously devoted 1911 fans will stop in shortly to preach the glory of John Moses Browning to you soon...but I'll give you the short version.

Its a design that works, and that revolutionized handguns a hundred years ago, (actually, 101 years ago now.) There is also a large element of patriotism in them, since they've always been a United States gun.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Slim, amazing trigger, and looks damn sexy. Steel guns are going to be more expensive the plastic guns. Some of it is paying for the name Colt and Kimber come to mind.

evanrw61

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Southport Indiana
    and in no particular order.....

Tradition- Every father, grandfather and great grandfather who was ever in the service has memories of the 1911. Every kid who played with a GI Joe instantly recognises a Colt 45.

Versitility- Whatever size, caliber, color, capacity and material your mind can come up with is most likely already in production somewhere.

Engineering- There must be a reason that millions of these have been in constant production for a hundred years. A good design and quality manufacturing will always withstand the ravages of time.
    :twocents:

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    A 1911 is what is symbolized when I hear someone say "a gun". It's a gunny gun.

Kind of like the OBS (Old Body Style) Ford Trucks... when I think of a trucky truck, I think of an OBS Ford truck.

Now that my analogy is out of the way...

It's just one of those purchases that many make to add to the collection.
    They're proven functional, they're beautiful and they're generally the go-to firearm for personal defense.

I'll say, a majority of people out there that can't afford to collect guns but rather have one or two for protection...
    Will usually have a more modernized weapon (think: Glock, M&P or any other plastic gun with a higher-capacity magazine).
    If you would ever or want to be a gun collector, just assume you'll add a 1911 in some fashion to your collection some day. It's required. :rockwoot:

That said, I love my Glock. I love my M&P. I love my sub-compact tiny pistols... but at the end of the day...
    NOTHING feels as manly, as powerful and as iconic as possessing a 1911.

Jeff

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    As others have said, it's got a nice easy SAO trigger and it's all metal to absorb the recoil. Further, the grip is the snizzle. Everyone I know likes the way it feels in the hand, even my buddies 10 year old daughter. She's not a bad shot with it either. :D

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    People love the 1911 for the same reason they love revolvers. They may not be the newest or fanciest designs out today, but they work. They have been protecting soldiers and police officers and civilians for over 100 years and I think they will continue to do so for a long time to come.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    From the beginning, there has been the original 1911, the 1911A1, and what Colt calls the Series 80 with a firing pin safety to prevent slam-fires. That is only two significant technical updates in 101 years. Glock is on its fourth incarnation in spite of an overall lifespan only one fourth that of the 1911.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    well, looks like most everyone hit the points i wanted to, in no particular order. Familiarity, troops have carried them forever and its a good design. While revolutionary years ago, its still relevant today. Same as the M1 Garand, still works perfectly, and although there are "better" out there now, some would argue they are not good enough. Good guys on tv and movies carry the 1911, bad guys don't. Have not seen any or many movies where the bad guy has a 1911, (old gangster movies are the exception) so it goes to reason, if they are good enough for the good guy, then they should be good enough for me. They are comfortable to shoot. While some do not like the angle, or the feel, the vast majority of firearms owners think that it is great. Im sure that there are other reasons, but those are the top off of my head.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    General Patton carried one with some nickel bling and white grips!

Seriously though, I can't get enough of the style of recoil a .45 provides. Nice easy push and accurate to boot. The 1911 to me is stylish and fits my hand like a glove. Many customization options available and if you take the time to research, you'll find how easy they really are to perform a total strip down and cleaning all the way down to the bare frame.

You can also start on the low end and customize to your hearts content or go large and get a big dog already sweetened by the smith. So far I'm middle of the road and one day I'll get the ultimate prize of a Wilson or Les Baer.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    For me personally it is the first hand gun I ever fired at 12 yrs. old. Uncle put his Gov. issue 1911 in my hands, gave a short Gunny style explanation as to its operation, pointed me at the targets and said I f I drop it I am done. 100 rds later I was hooked for life. It was the gun he carried all the way through Korea and later the Nam. He is gone now but I still have that clunky old 1911 and it still shoots. I have many other later and more modern versions. They fit my hand and run very well. As someone stated up thread, it is a "Gunny" gun. It is a mans gun although I know many females that love and run them. My daughter and my niece both want to use one when we go to the range or out in the woods. It is like riding a Harley Davidson. You have to hang on, pay attention and give a little effort but the rewards are well worth it. JMHO.

We have a few plastic guns and they do all they are designed to do and do those functions quit well but they are not as sexy....again, JMHO.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Couple of years ago I made a post questioning why on earth you would pay a grand or more on a gun that you expect to have a issue or two before it is broke in. I just didn't get it. Then one day I shot one and thought "well that wasn't too bad". Then I decided that it was un-american not to own one. After buying a used Kimber and shooting it I realized I hadn't known what I was talking about and it quickly became MY gun. If something goes bump in the night I go to it. They are just a great gun.

Top Bottom