Why does everyone love the Remington 870 so much?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I know a guy who hates an 870, specifically my beater $215 Express Supermagnum turkey model (got it used).
    It smoked most of the doves he missed up field with his Red Label.

Not a good dove gun, but it runs 50% most days...........with no cherry picking. Makes for a not completely embarrassing outing.

A dimpled mag spring type, it has been converted to the old style.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I have both remington 870 and mossberg 500. Yesterday I blasted a big tom turkey at 42 yds on the run with my mossberg 500 bantam 12 and a full choke. My remington is my HD shotgun, Mossberg is field gun. I would be fine with switching their roles. Only advantage for me turkey hunting is mossberg safety is ambidextrous and I'm a lefty.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    To all the lefty's out there, it's a simple task to flip the safety button 180 degrees on an 870 and make it left hand friendly.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    If your worried about the rattle don't buy a 500, if your a lefty buy a 500. If you want to put a pistol grip stock on your home defense shotty, buy a 870. If you own a 500 and your sooooo concerned about the rattle of the 500 DON'T shake the gun. I have gone on many different hunts with 3 of my own 500's, if you hold pressure on the fore end it doesn't rattle, if you wrap your hand around the action bars just in front of the receiver, it doesn't rattle. If you happen to get the 500 with the 8 shot tube and the 20 inch barrel (or any 500 really) you can put the Magpul furniture on it and it has a little spacer for the fore end that cuts the rattle down, WAY down. How do I know? I've always had Mossberg's and I have learned to work around their character "flaws". My bedside shotty is the 8 shot model with the 20 inch barrel. Or I could pick my AR, or my SKS Type 56. But wait! they all rattle! Uhoh!! I hope the burglar is deaf. :rolleyes: Everything has ups and downs. While we are at it can we bring up the M&P vs Glock discussion? Maybe the best AR? Whats better, the AK or the AR? Sheesh people! Okay, sorry....I have had a long rant and I wish to go home to bed. Rant over!

:soapbox:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    I normally wouldn't get involved, as I think it is about personal preference, but this is a recent debate for me, an I am still passionate about it.

about a year ago I was interested in the differences and advantages of each. I finally went with the 870. I read, and watched videos, and looked at pictures, and asked friends, but in the end, the only thing that really helped me decide was holding them side by side.

the Mossberg is light, and has a more accessible safety, but the Remington is built like a tank! It feels like it too. For all the moving parts on a pump, the 870 just feels solid. After I owned it for a while it became one of my favorites. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Its the reason I am a Remington fan. Not the other way around.
    Hope this helps :

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    To all the lefty's out there, it's a simple task to flip the safety button 180 degrees on an 870 and make it left hand friendly.

Please elaborate, I've looked into this before and have always found that much more was involved and other parts would be needed, because of the mechanism being offset a simple reversing of the button wouldn't work. At least on guns made in the last 25 years or so.
    If you know this to be incorrect please elaborate I'd like to know how. Below are some links where I looked into this previously.

Reversing Safety on Rem 870. ? Shotgunworld.com

870 MM Safety Reversible? - THR

Remington Society - View topic - 870 left hand safety

remington 870 safety switch - The Firing Line Forums

Remington Safety Switch : Shotgun Forum

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    My first shotgun was a Mossberg 500a1. All Ive ever bought since is Mossberg. I have zero experience with an 870, but I hear theyre fine guns. Though recently, there has been chatter about QC slippage on those models. I cannot confirm those reports.

I love my Mossbergs and have no practical reason to buy anything else.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I got my Wingmaster in 1976. It still shoots great and has morphed into my HD weapon. Wouldn't even consider replacing it with anything else.

Bob

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/46...nversion-remington-552-740-760-870-1100-11-87

[video=youtube_share;2gUBc7BFuKY]http://youtu.be/2gUBc7BFuKY[/video]
    Please elaborate, I've looked into this before and have always found that much more was involved and other parts would be needed, because of the mechanism being offset a simple reversing of the button wouldn't work. At least on guns made in the last 25 years or so.
    If you know this to be incorrect please elaborate I'd like to know how. Below are some links where I looked into this previously.

Fortmann's Left Hand Safety Conversion Remington 552 740 760 870 1100

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    My first 12 gauge was a Mossy 500. I have had an 870 Express and an 11-87SP Deer. Both the 870 and 11-87 were great shooters, but the finish left a lot to be desired. They would rust just sitting in the safe. Oil 'em up, put them away, come back 2 weeks later, skim coat of surface rust. :xmad:
    My blued Mossbergs do not rust like that. I got rid of the Remmys and now have three 500's, an 835, a 930SPX and a 935. I have always felt that Mossberg was the best bang for the buck of the two. Just my :twocents:.

savage308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Ft. Wayne
    I have had both and prefer the 870. Both are older models I had and I am not sure if current 500's still run one arm from the forend to receiver to work the action like older ones did, but that was one thing I did not like on my 500. Also with it only having one it rattled badly. Then it developed a feeding problem. Shoot and run action, old shell would eject and new shell would drop out the bottom. This was not an every cycle malfuntion but a periodic one that I never knew if it was going to work properly. I now no longer have the 500 and still have my 870. I 20 plus years of having my 870 I can count on one hand how many malfunction I have had and a some of them were self inflicted.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Hey lefties................they make left handed 870's.
    Unless it's a one gun deal for both righties and lefties...............well, for a field rig I'd go BPS ;)

Ahhh yes the BPS, another Remington model 17 copy. Actually mulling over one of those now, the BPS HD model. Looks to be just over $400 OTD at the place I'm shopping.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana

It does appear that it's no longer possible to do what I suggested. The guns I've seen it done on were all late 70's or early 80's guns.
    Sorry for the misinformation. Seems normal nowadays for every manufacturer to take something that's simple and convenient and screw it up.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Ahhh yes the BPS, another Remington model 17 copy. Actually mulling over one of those now, the BPS HD model. Looks to be just over $400 OTD at the place I'm shopping.

I've got a bps with 20" barrel and 7 shot magazine. Apparently they only made a limited number of them back in the day but it has been a solid performer since day one. Only downfall is it doesn't have the open ejection port to just pop a round in when going for a super quick reload. That's my only complaint though. Some might ***** about the lack of aftermarket support but that doesn't bother me.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    It does appear that it's no longer possible to do what I suggested. The guns I've seen it done on were all late 70's or early 80's guns.
    Sorry for the misinformation. Seems normal nowadays for every manufacturer to take something that's simple and convenient and screw it up.

That is so true, and seems to be getting worse. Nothing to be sorry about tho' I was hoping you were on to something that wasn't common knowledge.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I've got a bps with 20" barrel and 7 shot magazine. Apparently they only made a limited number of them back in the day but it has been a solid performer since day one. Only downfall is it doesn't have the open ejection port to just pop a round in when going for a super quick reload. That's my only complaint though. Some might ***** about the lack of aftermarket support but that doesn't bother me.

Thanks for sharing how yours has done for you.
    Indeed the 7 shot is a rare bird but I'm ok w/ 5+1. Like you the lack of aftermarket add ons mean little to me. A good light and maybe an ammo cuff are all I'd ever add.

Top Bottom