• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Caleb, seeing as we both live in Columbus we will have to get togther sometime and throw some rounds down range. I wanted to go today but it fell through. Depending on the weather I'm going to try and go next Saturday. I'll see you on Friday though to BS.

goldsmithr3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Hey, I like your gun. For quality, durability and value, these days, I think its hard to beat a Ruger. I have no dispute with those who want a more expensive gun, better or not. That's a matter of choice. A good friend once advised, when I extolled the virtues of my Ruger, that " if I couldn't afford a Cadillac, ......buy the truck...". On the other hand, my old Security Six will likely still be running strong when my grandson's grandson inherits it. (assuming we're not rulled by an "emperor" by then).

We are lucky to be living in a time when mosts states allow concealed carry, and so many good firearms are available, new or used, at decent prices. I think you made a good choice with the Ruger.

patandhisruger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    i really hope these "be proud of my Ruger" posts aren't directed towards me...this was not for me....i just used my firearm as a example

StandingReady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    First, you have to remember that most military contracts go to the cheapest bidder, not because they are the best choice.

That being said, IMO, based on my experience, Ruger pistols (the older models specifically) are not very refined, and are bulky. On the plus side, they seemed to be reliable, and that is definitely the most important aspect.

I have Glocks and Berettas, all of which are very reliable and more than suitably accurate. Although I carry one of my Glocks most of the time, for a few reasons, I still have (shoot and sometimes carry) my Berettas. They are both quality carry guns. I also have HKs, Sigs, Smiths, etc that I enjoy as well. What is important to note is that many firearm manufacturers exist because no one gun is perfect for everyone. Some firearms fit certain people's body mechanics than they do others. As long as the gun is reliable, a lot of the banter boils down to personal preference. I will tell you that there are guns out there not suitable for carry, I have my opinions on those, but there are also guns out there that I simply would not PREFER to carry that might be perfect for someone else.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    First, you have to remember that most military contracts go to the cheapest bidder, not because they are the best choice.

this is partly true- the cheapest bidder given a very specific set of criteria. any fool with a gun can't throw his hat into the ring. whether or not those criteria are the best is another argument entirely.

StandingReady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    for sure, I'm just saying that the cheaper items, guns or otherwise, are usually not on the upper end of that list, and there is likely a quality difference between either end of those specifications. I also agree that the criteria issue is another subject, also inviting questions...

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    Classic case of to each his own. I've seen guys with $1200 O/U and can't hit a bird. A 12 yr old kid with a Mossberg goes up and can't miss. If you trust it, it goes bang everytime, and is accurate why do you need more? Not all of us can afford to carry a Kimber and drive a Cadillac.

leedawg77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    There are going to be snobs about everything. I see no point in bashing someone else's gun. If the person likes it, good for them. The Rugers used to have some jamming issues, but so did lots of guns. Rugers are quality and have improved a great deal. Some people get it in their head that a particular brand has issues and they will never change their mind.

patandhisruger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    amen on the mags being the main factor...i bought a 22 rnd promag for my p95 and it caused every problem under the sun..now i use only ruger factory mags..but, had someone sold me the pistol used (hypothetically, i bought it new), and it came with 15rnd promags that ftf and fte every other round i may have thought it was the gun...although i do hear good things about mecgar...might try one of their 17 rounders..

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    in the sh!tter

Did you mean to say shooter or sh!tter? LOL just kidding...your english teacher would be proud..
    There is nothing wrong with a Ruger. They are built like tanks and are very accurate once you master the trigger. A P95 or 89 is going to be my next handgun purchase. I dont like to hear the bashing either. I currently carry a tokarev and have encountered some brand snobs but unfortunately the gun doesnt make the shotter.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I have 2 Glocks, 1 Ruger, and a Beretta 92FS....and I can't knock any of them...they do what they were designed to do. The rest is up to the shooter.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    My read on the entire issue:

A man has a need. He pools his available resources and finds the best answer to his need that he can acquire with said resources. A man (sic - or good woman) needs, requires nor seeks further validation for his decisions. To what end would one need this reaffirmation? Praise for his wisdom? A salve to sooth his self-doubt? A strong person needs neither and EVERYONE'S circumstances are unique.

I've owned (own) expensive guns and inexpensive guns. I'll be happy to provide my experiences to one who asks for help but don't require the positive reinforcement of others.

Aaaarrrr...

(I like Ruger revolvers better than S&W. I like S&W autos better than Ruger. All for my own unique set of circumstances.)

Side note, I bought a MPA30 which is a MAC-11 semi-auto version made by Masterpiece Arm's for a prop in one of my Girl's N Gun's poster shots...

The most important post in this 23 page (I set them small for rapid download to the droid) thread that I slogged through... where the heck is the link?!?!?

Dr. Killshot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Lebanon
    I suppose the true test is to have the hater stand in front of you when you pull the trigger. If he is right and your Ruger is garbage...then he will be fine. If your right then he's got a problem. It's really the only way I can see to settle the arguement.

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    Ruger's are built like tanks and there is nothing wrong with them, this is coming from a hk and glock fan. I don't like gun snobbery and I will objectively talk about a gun from a viewpoint of what it means to me and how I could use it.

Top Bottom