• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    For what it is worth, just used shipmygun.com for the first time.

Notes.
    1. Fed-ex one day
    2. For a pistol shipped across Indiana it cost me $39. Would have been $29 but I added insurance at their rate of $1.00 / $1000.00 .
    3. They were prompt contacting the receivers FFL , everything happened in less than 1 business day.
    4. Address field on their website wanted to use my home address as the ship to address, easy to fix but weird.
    5. When putting in the ship to address it asks for a first name and last name instead of a business name. To get around you just put the first word of the business name in the first name field & then finish it in the last name field.
    6. They supply good instructions about including copy of drivers license and buyers pedigree info & etc.
    7. Their fed-ex box size field was wrong, but maybe the field is intended to be for circumstances where they supply a box instead of Fed-ex. In any case, when you get go Fed-ex the boxes are smaller than the dimensions on the shipmygun website.

My conclusion is that I think once the learning curve is past this will be pretty much painless and cost effective. Still need good communication with the FFL on the receiving end.

Either you got $10,000 of insurance, or you've got a number wrong.

Glad it worked out.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    fed-ex must have transferred the idiot from Michigan City to your location.
    I walked into The Michigan city Fed-ex on Cleveland Ave with my Chiapa's return label.
    She asked what was being shipped. I said a FIREARM.
    She refused to take it. I said I received it through Fed-EX. She said NOT here.
    I asked where else.
    I left and called Chiapa. She said Fed-EX must take it.
    I returned the next day. A different woman asked what was in the package. I again said Firearm.
    She took the package and processed it. The other woman walked out and attempted to stop the shipment.
    This time I demanded the manager. I explained what happened the day before and that day.
    he looked at her and told her to be in his office. I made two other shipments and not seen her again.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Maybe it is just my bad luck but the last couple times I've tried to ship a gun I've run into FFL's who do not know what is legal and what is not. Specifically, they think that an individual can't ship a handgun to an FFL directly either by Fed-ex or by using the service shipmygun.com..

Isn't there some sort of a rules and regulations test associated with maintaining an FFL licence?

Do you know all the rules, regulations, local, national or regional interpretations, etc. pertaining to your line of work?

Didn't think so.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The same reason the usps won't let c&r holders ship to one another or gun stores. People are stupid.

There seems to be a conflict in terminology between the ATF and USPS. The ATF uses "licensees", which would include FFL01 holders (dealers), FFL03 (collectors), etc. The USPS uses the word "dealer", IIRC.

That said, I've had a few dealers send me a handgun via USPS, unbeknownst to me.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    That said, I've had a few dealers send me a handgun via USPS, unbeknownst to me.

This was a couple years ago so things may have changed.

I called the Indiana state police and asked if there was a best way to find out about gun laws - they gave me a name and a number for "detective such and such with position title whatcha call it"- I called that number and got a recorder - a few days later the person called me back and politely explained how things work - he said that individuals within this state are legally allowed to send each other guns - shipment restrictions are the choice of the shipper not federal law (although I would assume I have some responsibility to make sure the gun it was going to a legal buyer).

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This was a couple years ago so things may have changed.

I called the Indiana state police and asked if there was a best way to find out about gun laws - they gave me a name and a number for "detective such and such with position title whatcha call it"- I called that number and got a recorder - a few days later the person called me back and politely explained how things work - he said that individuals within this state are legally allowed to send each other guns - shipment restrictions are the choice of the shipper not federal law (although I would assume I have some responsibility to make sure the gun it was going to a legal buyer).

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I hold an FFL03, and it was out an out of state handgun.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The FedEx/UPS "sattelite stores" (they just pay to use the FedEx/UPS name I found out, and are not really affiliated with either) often refuse to handle firearms or ammo, depending on the individual store's policy. After having both ammo and firearms shipped to the FedEx store near me (convenient for "signature required" shipments when I wasn't going to be home to take delivery), they suddenly changed policies. What was "safe" before was now deemed "hazardous" and had to go to the FedEx hub. :rolleyes:

M1CARBINE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2018
    Valparaiso
    the main issue I had when I had my ffl is that non ffls didn't use their brains when shipping guns. like leaving the Remington 870 in the box that says Remington 870 on it. it is a real PTA when a gun get lost in shipment.

M0244

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2018
    Franklin
    I had a very difficult time recently out of state. None of the FFLs would ship a pistol, even to another FFL and none of the courier would accept one unless the "shipper" was an FFL, once I got it worked through I learned the receiving FFL would not accept from an individual and it must be shipped form an FFL.

Also on shipping, the local FFLs al refused to provide a "file copy" to me for online dealings such as gun broker, and I couldn't get sending or receiving FFLs to talk to one another... I don't know how they stay in business, must be a lot of people that only buy new guns form big box stores I suppose. It's enough to make meant to get my own FFL... almost.

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    So what I'm getting out of this conversation is that there's apparently a whole load of money to be made by opening up a FFL in a convenient location, performing FFL transfers exclusively, and most importantly not being incompetent.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    So what I'm getting out of this conversation is that there's apparently a whole load of money to be made by opening up a FFL in a convenient location, performing FFL transfers exclusively, and most importantly not being incompetent.

Somebody beat you to it and prices are lowest I have found.
    WWW.Shipmygun.com

From now on any for sale add from me is going to specify that the receiving ffl must accept from them. After that, use the email fed ex label they send you and drop it off and no worries.

Top Bottom