Why don't we see more women in the Tactics and Training forum?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    John, can you point to anything specific you do, or avoid doing, with your marketing to appeal to a wider audience?

We market to upstanding citizens, not gender specific, try not to use gender specific language, make no bones about not being politically correct and make every effort to treat everyone the same.

That's not to say that we do specifically mention the ladies in a post or announcement to make sure they know that they are welcome and will be treated the same as any student on the line.

We do market specific programs to families making sure that ma and pa know that the kids of all ages are welcome and will be treated in an AGE specific manner.

I suppose that's a verbose way of answering your question, Jackson, I hope I've imparted some insight.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I say keep women uninterested in firearms training. Often they are better shooters, better critical thinkers, take instruction easier, and are much more willing to employ de-escalation over aggressive tactics. I don't need that kind of competition. ;):D:laugh:

All kidding aside, I think the big reasons we see fewer women involved in firearms training has to do with societal "norms" and males more often being seen in the role as the primary protector/hunter. But, as someone already pointed out, there is so much variety within each sex that personality types and traits do cross over.

Big thanks to the ladies who have taken the time to respond to this thread with their perspective. I learned a few things. :yesway:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Big thanks to the ladies who have taken the time to respond to this thread with their perspective. I learned a few things. :yesway:

Indeed. I agree. I was considering creating a parallel thread in the Women and Firearms section with some off-shoot questions, some of which have been addressed here. I thought it might reach more women in that sub-forum.

I have noticed that you tend to see more women in the "lower level" courses and the NRA-based coureses. I also tend to see women and families represented in the ACT courses. Fathers and daughters, husband and wives, etc. They have done an effective job of marketing themselves that way. That is why I asked John for more input there. Another place where I notice that is TDI in Ohio. Many husband and wife pairs in the classes I've taken there.

Momof6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Wayne County, IN
    I hesitated to add anything to this because I wasn't sure I had anything of value to add, but here goes. I haven't been in this section much because I still consider myself new to guns, though really, if I'm honest with myself, it's really lack of confidence that makes me say that because when I am talking with a friend or my children, I realize that I actually know quite a lot. I guess I've always looked at this section as an area for the more advanced, which is silly really, when it takes training to become more advanced. :dunno:

I also agree that a lot has depended on stereotypes. I didn't get into guns for a long time because I'm primarily a stay at home mom, and nothing really happens in the safety of one's home, right? :dunno::n00b: It took becoming a victim, though not of violence, but a victim nonetheless, for me to really stand up and say no, no one else is going to take care of me, and I AM strong enough to take care of myself. My husband really helped break that stereotype for me because in nearly every other area he expects me to do it myself. If I need something hauled, well, hook up the trailer and go haul it, woman...lol. Need a faucet fixed? He's working, I can do it myself. Just because I'm a woman doesn't mean I can't do all these things that are typically thought of as manly things, and the same goes for protecting myself and my children. He expects me to take just as much initiative as he would.

(I hope that doesn't make him sound like some jerk, because he's not, he's just not the type to coddle the little lady...lol)

I think in some ways I would feel more comfortable with an all female class, but only because of the stereotype in my mind that all women would be on the same level as me. Stupid, huh? I'm working on getting myself signed up for two different training classes, and while they aren't all female, as far as I know, I do hope there's at least one other female. Regardless I'm just going to force myself to step out of my comfort zone and get some training, and I'm terribly excited for it. I'm sure in the long run I'll have a wonderful time. :rockwoot:

Enough rambling, I'm done. :) :n00b:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I think in some ways I would feel more comfortable with an all female class...

Don't worry, you'd fit right in.

Might be different in classes other than what I have been in, but I think the idea of a female only class is worried about too much amongst women. The same would go for being overly self conscious. At the classes I have been to, everyone is so focused on their own shooting, hardly any attention is put on others. If any attention at all does get paid to others it is nothing but positive.

Classes are normally a far cry from the creepy know-it-all "helpful" fellow you might be concerned about running into at the range.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I hesitated to add anything to this because I wasn't sure I had anything of value to add, but here goes. I haven't been in this section much because I still consider myself new to guns, though really, if I'm honest with myself, it's really lack of confidence that makes me say that because when I am talking with a friend or my children, I realize that I actually know quite a lot. I guess I've always looked at this section as an area for the more advanced, which is silly really, when it takes training to become more advanced. :dunno:

I also agree that a lot has depended on stereotypes. I didn't get into guns for a long time because I'm primarily a stay at home mom, and nothing really happens in the safety of one's home, right? :dunno::n00b: It took becoming a victim, though not of violence, but a victim nonetheless, for me to really stand up and say no, no one else is going to take care of me, and I AM strong enough to take care of myself. My husband really helped break that stereotype for me because in nearly every other area he expects me to do it myself. If I need something hauled, well, hook up the trailer and go haul it, woman...lol. Need a faucet fixed? He's working, I can do it myself. Just because I'm a woman doesn't mean I can't do all these things that are typically thought of as manly things, and the same goes for protecting myself and my children. He expects me to take just as much initiative as he would.

(I hope that doesn't make him sound like some jerk, because he's not, he's just not the type to coddle the little lady...lol)

I think in some ways I would feel more comfortable with an all female class, but only because of the stereotype in my mind that all women would be on the same level as me. Stupid, huh? I'm working on getting myself signed up for two different training classes, and while they aren't all female, as far as I know, I do hope there's at least one other female. Regardless I'm just going to force myself to step out of my comfort zone and get some training, and I'm terribly excited for it. I'm sure in the long run I'll have a wonderful time. :rockwoot:

Enough rambling, I'm done. :) :n00b:

Don't worry, you did add something of value. Great post and thanks for the insight.

Chelise

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Hmmmm...I'm female and this is one of my favorite forums on INGO. Training is, if possible, even more important to women simply because we're usually smaller than you guys, and may be hurt more easily in a fight. Learning to minimize that strength advantage through practice of certain kinds is really important to me.

That said...before I post, I think long and hard about if my input is really necessary or adding anything to the conversation. Ninety percent of the time, I decide it's not, and just keep reading. So maybe that's why you don't see us as much. We keep our mouths shut. ;)

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    That said...before I post, I think long and hard about if my input is really necessary or adding anything to the conversation. Ninety percent of the time, I decide it's not, and just keep reading. So maybe that's why you don't see us as much. We keep our mouths shut. ;)

Well, you should pipe up more often. Your input and perspective may be more valuable than you give yourself credit. The way you approach a question or word a response may be just different enough to provoke a whole nother idea or response from someone else. The questions you ask might bring a topic out in a whole new light. Varied perspectives and subtle difference in approach are some of the things that make this part of the forum interesting.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I think this is it. I can only name a few females on INGO and that's because they outed themselves.

What?!?! We were outed??? How the heck did that happen???

To answer the OP, I think for some of us it's that we are curious about training options and what each class is geared to teach us but intimidated by the experts who are posting (no offense, LOL, it's not you it's me). We want to take it slowly and put a toe in the water and see how it goes. I went to the ladies training last year and liked it. Stumbled across shooting at iron and really loved it. Played around with moving drills and realized that was a lot of fun and very valuable training. I have enough going on in my world that I know I need the training. I'm personally a fan of smaller class sizes because everyone learns at different speeds, has different experiences, and different training needs or goals. Mostly we want to learn and observe...so I will shut my mouth and continue learning from you guys... :D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We offered a women's only Basic Pistol class a couple of years ago, but no one registered. In fact, I don't think we had any inquiries (could be wrong, I know I didn't field any). On the other hand, we've had classes that were almost all female just because it happened that way.

I think for classes that are just about safety and shooting skills, single sex classes are okay if that's what people want. For defense-oriented courses, I think that people who seek single sex classes (at least exclusively) may be doing a disservice to themselves.

MangoTango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Have never taken a female only class. This is the section of INGO I post the most in. Once you take class it can be frustrating as you seen the men run the other direction when it is time to pair up. It hurts my training in FOF because I want someone with man strength grabbing my wrist etc. A lot of men say they want to see more women shooting but then do not embrace it when they show up at class. You don't have to be paired every time with member of the opposite sex, you might learn something new-and you can help make women safer and become more involved with gun culture.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Have never taken a female only class. This is the section of INGO I post the most in. Once you take class it can be frustrating as you seen the men run the other direction when it is time to pair up. It hurts my training in FOF because I want someone with man strength grabbing my wrist etc. A lot of men say they want to see more women shooting but then do not embrace it when they show up at class. You don't have to be paired every time with member of the opposite sex, you might learn something new-and you can help make women safer and become more involved with gun culture.

I have not noticed this. It always appeared to me that the women were treated more or less the same by male students. I am male, though, and just may not have noticed it. I will look out for this in future classes. If I have an opportunity to make someone feel more at home in a class I will jump in and do my part.

Top Bottom