• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Fever is a part of a healthy immune system. The body senses bacteria or an infection in the body, and naturally raises its own temperature to destroy what is harming you.

The typical medical response is to take a pill that will prevent a fever from happening, thereby thwarting the body's immune system from killing the bacteria. This can allow the problem to persist, to grow, and make you sicker. Unnaturally preventing fevers under the wrong circumstances allow the infection to kill you.

Dr. Sherri Tenpenny wrote an article about how to manage fever, when it becomes dangerous, when to medicate, what you should eat & supplement your diet with, and when to just let it run its course.

The Importance of Fever

Do Not Kill a Fever

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Good info! I hate taking cold medicine for exactly this reason. It tends to prolong the cold.

Nothing beats a jug of Gatorade, a warm blanket, and a good book for beating a cold.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I don't have many of them, but when I have I have managed them. The only time anti-fever meds are used are if they start to get high enough to cause potential brain problems. Otherwise I try to stay hydrated enough to allow all the systems to work as they should.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I can't say I've ever taken a pill for a fever...I could also count on 1 hand the times I've needed medicine for anything though(aside from when I was too young to decide for myself).

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I've read that worst thing you can do after a vaccination is take a tylenol/aspirin to kill the fever that follows. Fever with most vaccines begins within 24 hours and lasts 2 to 3 days. Your body is trying to fight off the chemicals in your blood. Let it.

Something to think about at least. If you insist on vaccinating, at least let your body try and hold its own against the preservatives that are now in your blood and organs. Doctors will tell you the opposite. Interesting that they try to override the crucial functions of the immune system.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    While I don't put a whole lot of stock in many of the opinions Rambone posts, and think he greatly overstates his opinions especially considering the type of board this is, I do think this one is sound. I rarely take medications other than the one I've been prescribed and only take that one because I've proved my body doesn't regulate cholesterol correctly without it. I have cold medications in the house, but taking antipyretics isn't something I do without extenuating circumstances.

Rambone, please don't take the above as an insult to you. I respect that this is an important subject to you and that you pursue it with passion. I simply disagree with your methods and conclusions. That does not in any way minimize the fact that I respect your right to your opinions.

Blessings,
    Bill

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Interesting. When I start to get sick, I double up on vitamins. And I try to sweat it out. I throw on sweats, and workout. Works for me.

What about headaches? Should one take tylenol for that? Or is there something else?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Interesting. When I start to get sick, I double up on vitamins. And I try to sweat it out. I throw on sweats, and workout. Works for me.

What about headaches? Should one take tylenol for that? Or is there something else?

I also double up on vitamins when sick, specifically Vitamin D3. Vitamin D is naturally produced in certain foods and from sunlight. It boosts your immune system and helps you recover from illness faster. The majority of the population has been found to be D3 deficient. Naturopathic doctors often recommend you take something like 4,000 IU daily and 10,000-20,000 IU when sick.

For headaches, I would at least attempt to try an alternative method to relieve the pain. Your body may respond to one of these these methods, but you will have to try it and see what works for you. I know it is a bad idea to take tylenol while having a hangover, because it compounds the liver damage. Overall, I don't have any strong feelings about tylenol, but my rule of thumb is the fewer drugs I can expose myself to, the better.

Top Bottom