• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djkbmwguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    New to getting a hand gun and my license. I have applied for an Indiana handgun license (LTCH). So why would/should I be interested in a Utah CCW? My understanding if you are a resident of Indiana then only an Indiana LTCH is honored by the State of Indiana. Thanks for the information and sorry for my ignorance.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    There are a few states that do not honor your IN LTCH that honor other states carry permits. You need to look at where you go and decide from there if any additional licenses/permits are needed. I got my Utah CFP to cover me in Ohio and Minnesota.

djkbmwguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Thanks for the info. So I am correct that the Utah does no good within the state of Indiana for a resident? A lady my wife knows mentione that she was thinking of getting a handgun and she was good to go since she had the Utah license. A friend a few years ago was trying to get enough people to sign up in Fort Wayne to get a class scheduled. The cost then was $300.00. He made it sound like the Utah would be what is needed in Indiana.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    everything i've seen, the Utah classes require a current indiana license.

so, in other words, you MUST have an indiana license if you're an indiana resident. indiana does not issue non-resident licenses.

utah license allows you to carry in 37 states, including ohio. the ohio one is important enough to me to get it.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Indiana does not honor out of state licenses for residents. A Utah class is usually around $100 per person. That is the class+fingerprint cards + photos. And the class I went to they hinted you needed your IN LTCH before you sent off for your Utah permit.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    everything i've seen, the Utah classes require a current indiana license.

so, in other words, you MUST have an indiana license if you're an indiana resident. indiana does not issue non-resident licenses.

utah license allows you to carry in 37 states, including ohio. the ohio one is important enough to me to get it.

Correct. When I applied for UT license I had to send a copy of my IN license as well as the required training form.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    As has been said, many states don't honor the Indiana LTCH, such as Ohio. So if you travel into Ohio, its obviously a good idea if you wish to carry to obtain the Utah.

I've never flat out asked, but I believe you need to have your LTCH through Indiana in order to obtain the Utah. That said, I'm not 100%.

However, my suggestion to you would be look up and find out what gun carry laws are. My biggest concern is people getting the LTCH and not understanding the laws. Just because you get the LTCH doesn't mean you get a free pass!

Bromiun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Goshen
    If you need to have your state of resident LTCH to get a Utah license, does your Utah License become invalid if you lose your state of residence LTCH?

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    If you need to have your state of resident LTCH to get a Utah license, does your Utah License become invalid if you lose your state of residence LTCH?

it has more to do with the state of indiana, as our state does not recognize non-resident licenses of any sort, from any state.
    as for other states, like if you moved to ohio and got an ohio resident license, im unsure if your Utah license would remain valid.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm glad I read this thread. I keep forgetting to do this since I don't travel through Ohio much but this is a good reminder. Where would I be able to take a Utah CCW class near Indianapolis?

djkbmwguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    From what I looked up, Michigan recognizes the Utah license (According to the State of Utah's website). The Indiana website makes Michigan look like they only recognize their own. Does anyone agree or disagree and have additional facts?

cbko4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Danville
    I am very interested in this, waiting for my pink papers right now. But my parents and some friends live in Ohio, so I travel there often, would negate a lot of hassle.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    For most Indiana residents, a Florida permit makes more sense than a Utah permit. It's also much easier to get.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I got my Utah when I lived in St. Louis. Missouri required a notation on your driver's license if you held a MO permit. (Yes, permit there.) I didn't like that idea. MO fought HARD to not be an Issue State.

I moved to Indy 5... no, 6 years ago. I was still covered under UT until I became a legal IN resident, then I needed (and wanted) a lifetime LTCH for IN.

I've maintained the UT since it adds several States that ignore IN's LTCH in terms of repri.. repricocity (sp?) since IN requires no training for the LTCH. That and in my job it's isn't unheard of to move to other markets ever 8-10 years. With a UT I am more likely to be covered than with solely a IN LTCH.

FWIW, I've been offered promotion/transfers to some other States and at least a few were ruled out by me because I would have had to become a bootlicking serf, i.e. Chikago.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    Yes, you must have your resident permit from the state you reside in before Getting the Utah License. A copy of it must accompany your application with class certification and fingerprint card.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    ^^ Interesting. ^^

That wasn't true when I got mine several years ago and a resident of MO.

Non-resident proof of permit. If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit. For a list of reciprocal states click here. Residency will be determined by your state-issued identification. If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply.

Top Bottom