• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • askeen289

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    I have to say my first gun was Glock 23 and I have not regretted the decision at all. I also now have a G21 as well and I love that one as well. I like the Glock's but have been looking at Springfields and S&W but I will say that even with this that there seem to be a lot of firearms that have copied from Glock. There seems to be a reason for that but as was stated earlier just about anything bought now days will do the job and be reliable. I would love to get some of the new handguns but my Glocks will always be the old standby

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It's funny how an inanimate object like a Glock can inspire so much hate as well as love. What is it about a pound and a half of plastic and steel that will make grown men declare their loyalty or opposition with more emotion than they probably mustered on their wedding day. Honestly, it's just a gun. It's neither good enough or bad enough to warrant any more emotion than would be expended comparing snow blowers or hammers. Folks need to stop looking at it for what it represents and simply look at it for what it is.

Lots of level headed posts here, but there is always fanboyism and hatred creeping in when you talk Glock. It's not like we are talking about the holy grail of firearms that God himself created just before 1911, now are we?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Close, but no cigar! Think Schmidt-Rubin. Why, without the 1911, we would never have had the K31. I think there might have been another firearm called a 1911, but am not sure. Those numbers sound oddly familiar to me.

Landshark67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Anderson
    It seems like Glocks are the iPhones of the gun world. They are the cool thing to have, everyone wants one, there is a gazillion accesories for them, and most important they have withstood the test of time.

nashfred01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just my opinion, I think Glocks are really good at what they do. Low maintenance and they are very dependable. I like other guns better, but for what they do, I think they are pretty good guns.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I can say for myself that I'm usually "brand loyal".

when I find something that I like...I stick with it.

I use Taylormade golf clubs because they are nice, dependable, do what I need them to do...and when taken care of properly they'll probably outlast me.
    I drive Chevy trucks because every one I've owned has been nice, dependable, easy to fix, do what I need them to do...and taken care of properly could outlast me.
    I wear Levi's because they're nice, comfortable, do what I need them to do...and when taken care of properly could outlast me.
    I shoot and carry Glocks because they're nice...etc etc etc blah blah blah...you get the idea :cool:

FatsMcKay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    I used to abhor the idea of glocks, always a 1911 man. I got one in a trade - shot it - started carrying it and fell in love. What I had gotten wasn't a sub-compact but a gen 3 G21. I tried long to forget the natural feel of firing it, clinging to my Colt 1911. It was about the same weight or lighter, it carried nearly double the rounds - I fell in love. I trust it, I carry it, I clean it only after target practice or when I see lint in the trigger. Great, Reliable Gun.

NightOps

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    United States
    I still like James Yeager's analogy (paraphrased), "Glocks are like fat girls"... They are tough as hell, reliable, simple to operate and maintain, and pretty damned accurate. I can hand my wife a Glock (who knows absolutely jack ***** about guns) and she can figure it out enough to squeeze of rounds and swap out mags. IMO that is what makes a Glock attractive. It's not a pretty gun IMO; I absolutely love Kimbers and H&K. However, I can pick up any Glock and they all operate pretty much the exact same way - only difference is size and caliber. That drastically reduces the training time across the entire platform. IMO, that makes it a great all-purpose pistol.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I believe they're was a Swiss bolt action rifle called the 1911

That's the Schmidt-Rubin 1911. It's a straight pull bolt action infantry rifle. It was the predecessor to the Swiss K31 which was one of the finest bolt action infantry rifles ever built. Oh, and to keep this on topic, Switzerland borders Austria which is where Glocks come from, so at some point, a person that owned a Swiss 1911 also may have owned a Glock. There, we kept it about Glocks.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I see Glock as the AR-15 of pistols. No frills, just a light, and reliable gun. One thing that confounds me is how complex the trigger system is though.

If S&W gets it's act together and improves its M&P trigger, then it could take over. It is a much simpler trigger/sear design as far as I can tell (it is hard to imagine anything much simpler or with less parts).

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    It's funny how an inanimate object like a Glock can inspire so much hate as well as love. What is it about a pound and a half of plastic and steel that will make grown men declare their loyalty or opposition with more emotion than they probably mustered on their wedding day. Honestly, it's just a gun. It's neither good enough or bad enough to warrant any more emotion than would be expended comparing snow blowers or hammers. Folks need to stop looking at it for what it represents and simply look at it for what it is.

Lots of level headed posts here, but there is always fanboyism and hatred creeping in when you talk Glock. It's not like we are talking about the holy grail of firearms that God himself created just before 1911, now are we?

Kind of how I feel about threads extolling the virtues of 1911's.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I see Glock as the AR-15 of pistols. No frills, just a light, and reliable gun. One thing that confounds me is how complex the trigger system is though.

If S&W gets it's act together and improves its M&P trigger, then it could take over. It is a much simpler trigger/sear design as far as I can tell (it is hard to imagine anything much simpler or with less parts).

After coming to the Glock world by way of CZs, 1911s and Hi Powers, one of the things that really attracted me was the simplicity of the trigger system. It's simply a bar that pulls back on a spring loaded firing pin and when it gets to a certain point, it gets cammed down by an angled piece of sheet metal. The CZ has two different sears that cover single and double action. The trigger action of the Hi Power travels up into the slide and then back down into the frame. Glock triggers are about as simple as could be.

futurefrogman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 3, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don't have one, but i do want one. When I look to buy guns I look for two things: reliability and availability! The reliability speaks for itself. When it comes to availability though, I want something that I can find parts for if gun regulations start getting super ridiculous here. Since Glocks are so popular I figure it will be easy to keep it running through a lot of political nonsense, hopefully.

Top Bottom