• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Anything like the smaller stack-on gun "lockers" just make it a quick 'grab and go' for theives. Kind of a convenient one stop shop to get all your guns at once.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Ok, just so I am clear.

Are we talking about the cabinets:

600945_raw.jpg

Or the safes:

images

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Fire resistant vs Fire proof

Look into insurance coverage for your firearms. No safe is 100%. Get a safe that is affordable and provides reasonable protection. Get insurance to cover the worst case situation.

Joedirt82

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Westfield
    Make the best of it, and by all means, get you a golden rod in there. It's amazing what those things do, and it will help out tremendously.

Let me tell you about humidity. With as dry a summer as we've had, you'd think there wouldn't be as much problems with humidity. HA!! I have a dehumidifier in the middle of the house, which runs a greater part of the day, and it draws over a gallon of water out of the air everyday.

Incredible.

I would have to agree with you about the golden rod. It does help, but for some reason, it wasnt enough in my safe. So I had to put 2 in it. and it still isnt quite where I want it to be at. I dono what to do about it, but its better than what it was. and now i am about to start burning wood.:D so that should dry the house out quite a bit

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    LibertyGunSafe.jpg

CannonSafe.jpg

Stack-OnGunSafes.jpg

UncoveredGreenlee.jpg

As you can see, my "collection" of safes is about as varied as my firearms collection. They run the range from a high dollar Liberty unit complete with automotive type high gloss finish and full "fire protection", to the inexpensive Stack-On units the OP was asking about, and just about everything in between. One thing I've learned in all of these purchases are that most gun safe salesman rank right up there with cigar smoking used car dealers in plaid suits, based on the amount of bull they sling, and methods they employ to sell their products.

At guns shows I've seen it all. From big busted hot blond models in mini skirts and high heels, with flat screen TV's, playing videos of 3 guys with 6 foot railroad bars breaking into "Brand X" safe in under 2 minutes, to one guy that had a blow torch on the outside of his "best" model with a digital thermometer on the inside. Looked more like a cooking demonstration.

One thing you never seen pointed out is that most all of these safes, regardless of brand or price all employ the exact same locking mechanism. And that is the Sargent & Greenleaf standard combination lock, or else the electronic keypad version of the same thing. This is evident on both my high end Liberty, as well as on my lower end Cannon. A thief with the necessary skills to break into one, can just as easily get into the other.

My Liberty has full fire protection. This is an option I'm ashamed to say I got roped into without applying much common sense, and instead bought into the salesman's slick B.S. If you think about it, this is why "fire protection" in these things is a total waste of money, and why I would never purchase it again.

First off when it comes to home fires in most residential areas, fire departments have a fairly quick response time. Houses are close together, and even if you are not home, it isn't going to be long before your neighbors either smell or see something is wrong. In most cases your local fire department is going to get there long before your living room is at "1,650 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour", or whatever nonsense your safe is "rated" at. What every fire department on this planet will respond quickly with is WATER, and plenty of it. And most of the time they'll chop a nice size hole in your roof and start pouring it in at something like 1,500 gallons per minute. If you talk to firemen they will tell you when they arrive on a house fire in a cookie cutter subdivision, they go into a defensive mode. They don't want the fire to spread to, or damage any nearby structures. That is of more importance to them than saving any belongings inside the fire structure of which most are insured. As I mentioned in an earlier post there is no gun safe that I know of that is waterproof.

To be honest in a house fire, taking into consideration all that I've mentioned, my guns in my "On Site" Greenlee tool box are going to fair the best simply because these boxes are designed to keep electrical tools dry on job sites where they are exposed to the weather. Again, if you check insurance statistics smoke and water damage as much or more property than the fire that started the whole problem.

If you think about the average home break in that occurs in middle class residential neighborhoods, how many thieves enter the home with enough heavy tools to pry into even the lowest cost safes? Let alone are going to risk remaining in the home long enough to attempt to get inside one? Not to mention most are on foot, so even if they do get in, how will they carry all of the weapons off?

I've learned a lot in all of my gun safe purchases, and as always hind sight is 20/20. There is nothing "wrong" with purchasing a high end gun safe. With that said research carefully exactly what you are trying to protect your valuable guns from. In many cases after applying some careful thought and information, the answer might surprise you. Bill T.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have a stack on and love it for what it is. I use mine as a deterrent to the kids and any other visitors to keep hands off of things. Also, I bought mine used for $100 and it fits in a compact hidden area and has a combination lock which allows it to be hidden. IF I were looking for a simple gun safe to keep little hands off of firearms then they are fine but if you are wanting to store important papers and other items then probably pay more for a higher fire rating.

ARGarrison

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Indiana, of course
    Stack-On | Products | 28-Gun Safe with Combination Lock

Stack-On's Total Defense 28 gun safe is what I have. It's fire rated for 30 minutes up to 1400° F and water resistance in up to 2 feet of standing water for 72 hours. It weighs in at 493 lbs. The only bad thing I have to say about it is 28 long guns would be a real tight fit. The 36 gun model would have been better, but would never have fit. Other than that I'm very pleased with my Stack-On safe.
    :twocents:

bobby bobolink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Paradise Bay
    Thanks for those tips, Bill T. I like the stealth aspect of the Greenlee cabinet and also its water-resistance. I'm on a tight budget and that may just be what the doctor ordered. Judging from your collection you appear to be ready for the Zombie apocalypse. Is your avatar one of those "hot models" or just your significant other having a bit of fun?
    '

Top Bottom