Why I sold my AR15-22 and this now stupid hobby.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Air rifles, my boy. Put some work into your shot.

Seriousness aside, 4 pages of *****, counter *****? Pretty awesome caterday night.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I think you have it completely backwards. Those people with 20k rounds in their bunker basement AREN'T buying now and are the reason that production is as high as it is since they were buying up slack in the system before the panic so production would be increase... :dunno:

I don't have 20k rounds but the .22lr I'm shooting today I paid around 10 bucks a box for 550 rounds.

I got into the habit of buying 2 550 round boxes every time I went into walmart. Pretty soon I had a couple ammo cans filled with the stuff.

Ammo isn't something that has a short shelf life. I've always been amazed at the number of people who *have* to stop at a store on their way to the range to buy ammo.

Why not buy some on sale and set it on a shelf. Next time you go out, you grab a box off the shelf and out the door you go, no need to hunt for it.

I have to agree with other people, guns aren't a true hobby like golf or bowling.

farmboy365

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 22, 2008
    NE Indiana
    sure beats the hell out of 20 rounds of 5.56 for $12 lol

20rds of 5.56 is $20 at local shop here they say it's to slow down the horders.i think it's to put more cash in there pockets.if you can't afford $30 for a day of shooting you don't want to come play at my range.The shooting sports are not a cheep hobby!:twocents:

satchmo72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    You are right; shooting is a stupid hobby. Really. As hobbies go, you are better of with golf, or model airplanes. A hobby should be something you can do carefree. Guns are not a hobby. Guns are tools. Tools that are meant to be practiced with and taken care of. There is a skillset involved with mastering the craft. You can find pleasure in shooting well. You can enjoy passing that skillset on to your kids. But guns aren't a hobby.

I understand what you are saying here but...

hob·by1 [hob-ee] Show IPA
    noun, plural hob·bies.
    an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation:

Unless your job demands you carry a gun, it's a hobby. We choose to carry a weapon, we choose to master the craft, we choose to practice for no other reason than to be good at it when the time is needed. Glorify it how you want, its a hobby, albeit a dangerous one, it's still a hobby.

I met a great guy today when I was out looking for ammo, he told me he was a cowboy shooter which sounds like a lot of fun, not something I would do but fun for him and would be fun to watch him do but it is a hobby. There is no time clock or bad guy wearing a cowboy costume in a dark alley. Yes, what he does adds to his capabilities but I do not think what he told me he was carrying today would be best shot from the hip.

satchmo72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    Why not buy some on sale and set it on a shelf. Next time you go out, you grab a box off the shelf and out the door you go, no need to hunt for it.

I guess I have learned that this is what is necessary if I do not want this frustration in the future.

It's going to suck if there is ever a wire shortage and I'm not able to buy guitar strings. Wait, I buy those in 10 packs cuz it's cheaper. Dangit, looks like I AM a hoarder.

fyver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    This is the first time I have seen a panic since I have been into shooting and I must say, this is absolutely stupid that I have to pay $30-$40 for 500 rounds of 22LR ammo when I bought it for $15-$19 just 2 months ago, if you can find bulk at all. I shoot 22 with my son, we have a great time going to MCFG and spending an afternoon together shooting for $15-20. Really? Were hoarding 22LR? All I want is to be able to buy 2 boxes when I want to go shoot with my son and not have to search 8 different local stores and 10 online stores.

This is dumb and really has me thinking that if this is what I am going to have to go through everytime some wacko goes crazy, we might find something else to do together. Maybe fishing, well, until some other wacko kills people with a fly rod. :)

It's part of supply and demand my friend. We're all waiting to see what happens next. :popcorn:

satchmo72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    I think it sucks about higher prices, but what is another 10 bucks when you can spend quality time with your son.

Totally agree, I bought 2 Bulk packs at $30 today so we can. I should have bought more but did not want to spend the cash. I do like the idea of just picking up a couple of packs when I am at Wal-mart when the supply dust settles.

My boy and I have contests to how many times out of 30 shots we can hit the 100yd steel with our 10/22. We dont hunt. I will not, and i doubt he will ever be shooting at bad guys from 100 yds away either, we do it because it is a friendly competition between us and fun. Last time I checked, you dont just blow through ammo like toilet paper when lining up a 100 yd shot. Do that 5 times and wham, 300 shots, over half a bulk pack.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Funny, and until you said that, it hadn't dawned on me that I was. So instead, I'll just rant about not being able to go shoot with my son because some bunker dweller has 20,000 rounds of 22LR stored up for when the government comes to take his guns. :)

I don't have 20k rounds (actually more) of .22lr stored so I can outwit the government, I have my ammo pile so I can outwit the people who don't keep ammo on hand to outwait shortages. And I bought mine when it was cheap and plentiful so that right now I don't need to buy any thus freeing up some for those without the foresight to keep 6-12 months worth of supplies on hand.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    This is the first time I have seen a panic since I have been into shooting and I must say, this is absolutely stupid that I have to pay $30-$40 for 500 rounds of 22LR ammo when I bought it for $15-$19 just 2 months ago, if you can find bulk at all. I shoot 22 with my son, we have a great time going to MCFG and spending an afternoon together shooting for $15-20. Really? Were hoarding 22LR? All I want is to be able to buy 2 boxes when I want to go shoot with my son and not have to search 8 different local stores and 10 online stores.

This is dumb and really has me thinking that if this is what I am going to have to go through everytime some wacko goes crazy, we might find something else to do together. Maybe fishing, well, until some other wacko kills people with a fly rod. :)

So your real gripe is that your lack of planning and forsight is someone else's fault. :n00b:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I guess I am a hoarder as we have always kept a lot of ammo on hand.
    That said, if you can not find an .22LR to take your son to the range (we belong to MCFG) I will let you have a couple of boxes for what we paid. I have a little bit of bulk left as well.
    This madness will pass.

PM if you need a couple of 100 rd. boxes of CCI mini mags. I hate to let this keep a dad and son off the range................;)

You really need to keep enough on hand. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't have 20k rounds (actually more) of .22lr stored so I can outwit the government, I have my ammo pile so I can outwit the people who don't keep ammo on hand to outwait shortages. And I bought mine when it was cheap and plentiful so that right now I don't need to buy any thus freeing up some for those without the foresight to keep 6-12 months worth of supplies on hand.

^^^^^^^^Bingo^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    You are right; shooting is a stupid hobby. Really. As hobbies go, you are better of with golf, or model airplanes. A hobby should be something you can do carefree. Guns are not a hobby. Guns are tools. Tools that are meant to be practiced with and taken care of. There is a skillset involved with mastering the craft. You can find pleasure in shooting well. You can enjoy passing that skillset on to your kids. But guns aren't a hobby.

guns are much more than a tool, if the wete stricly tools then we wouldnt need/want anything other than a simple selection, a handgun fir self defense, and a rifle/shotgun/muzzleloader for hunting and thats it, no AR's or other fancy crap just the plain ol tools to get job done. For instance, I wouldnt buy a socket wrench because it looked cool I would but it to perform a nessecary function.

karatejoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Greenwood
    The madness will slow down as soon as the panic buying stops. I was finally able to purchase 5.56 ammo yesterday for .77 a round. That was 10 cents higher than what I paid 2 months ago but I felt like it was a deal given the situation.I want to build a better stock so when I do shoot, Im not out of ammo for a real shtf crisis at hand.

satchmo72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    I guess I am a hoarder as we have always kept a lot of ammo on hand.
    That said, if you can not find an .22LR to take your son to the range (we belong to MCFG) I will let you have a couple of boxes for what we paid. I have a little bit of bulk left as well.
    This madness will pass.

PM if you need a couple of 100 rd. boxes of CCI mini mags. I hate to let this keep a dad and son off the range................;)

You really need to keep enough on hand. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

That is really appreciated!!!! I did manage to find some but thanks for the offer!! :)

I agree, I will have to pick some extra up should/when this happens again.

My gripe I guess then is my own ignorance that 22LR would disappear like it did .

Top Bottom