• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I recently ordered a Streamlight Protac 1L, and a Streamlight Protac 1AA. They arrived today and the 1L does not work when the tail cap is screwed on all the way. I can get it to come on briefly if I screw the tail cap off about half way.

I had a similar problem with my old Streamlight Microstream where it would stop working with the tail cap screwed on all the way. I had to loosen it, then re-tighten it, to get it to work properly. I just assumed this was a one-time QA oversight and lived with it.

Today's arrival of similarly malfunctioning light just tells me that Streamlight puts out a sub-par product and their QC is crap. I will be returning the 1L and buying a Surefire (or fenix, or other). After a 2/3 failure rate I'm done with Streamlight. :noway:

Any recommendations? The smaller the better.

Last edited:

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck with Streamlight. I received a ProTac 1AA for Xmas and love it.
    I'm interested to hear the other suggestions as I like the small lights with tail buttons also.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a ProTac 2L and it is really nice. I bought it on a sale at PSA for $30. Wish I would have bought a bunch! Solid light, will blind you and could put the hurt on someone if they got hit in the face with it.

Retails for $80 and I don't see any reason to buy a more expensive one for non-professional use.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've had a ton of Streamlight products, and they all have failed @ one point. Same with Fenix, 5.11, Pelican, Maglite, and many others. If it needs to work everytime, there is only one option out there: Surefire.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've had great success with Streamlight products and am a big fan. I still feel like that are a good value for the money. But even they don't compare to what you get with Surefire. Now that I've made the jump I'm OK with paying a bit more to go Surefire.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yeah, I might change my mind after I have had this one for awhile. But coming from a Mini-Maglite, I am having fun blinding myself and others.:)

This is my first exposure to such a powerful beam, I am really amazed.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Congrats. Now you can discover all the awesome CREE lights and avoid both of the major manufacturers and have lights everywhere (in the truck, in your bag, etc.).

Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Great, thanks to you instead of both eyes open on target now I have to go cameleon with one on target and the other on my terror plottin pollytac just waiting to cut out on me. :)

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    My biggest beef with Streamlight is that they are always behind in LED technology. A protac 2L is 180 lumens, a Fenix PD32 is over 300 lumens.

If you are looking for a small aaa powered light with a back switch, get the Preon 2. It's pen sized and is close to 200 lumens with the new Gen 2 LED.

Search Results: preon 2

Lights such as the Fenix LD12 and the Foursevens QPA and QTA are single AA powered lights. Although not as small as the CR123a versions (PD22, QPL, QTL) They are still solid lights that are easy to carry.

Fenix LD12 S2 Edition

Quakr Pro QPA Gen 2

IF you want to go really small, you can go with a preon 1 and put the optional click switch on it.

Search Results: preon 1

Here is a preon 1 demo video.

http://youtu.be/T_wosSkNZMQ

lildave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Had 2 Streamlights that failed, contacted to company and informed them about the problem and told them I did not want another light. Well they sent me a new high end model that failed in less than a month. Just my experence

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Lights

Having depended on lights every shift as an LEO I started with the mag lites back in the 70's-80's.....when the tactical light revolution began in the late 80's I bought several sure fire 6p's.....I have used them everyday since 1989-90...the same lights.....I have these also as dedicated tac lights on a 870 and an M4......I have seen them mounted on MP-5's where half of the 6p protruded past the muzzle and these lights had the finish "flame blasted" off from them from having been exposed to thousands of muzzle blasts, and they still worked. I recently unearthed a box of surefire batteries that I had bought back in 1990, put them in my light and they worked fine....try that with any other brand of battery. The only stream light I ever really liked is their lite box, I keep one on a charger...24/7.....it is what the utility companies keep on their trucks for working on power poles at night. When I leave the house, there is a half of dozen things that ALWAYS go with me, and one of these is a 6p.

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    I have been using the same XLR250s for more than four years.

www.elusivewildlife.com

Never had any issues, still re-charging and using the batteries that came with the lights originally. We use these every day, day in, day out!

I know others who use them as well and love them. Great value, high quality build.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I will only carry forward clicky switch lights. My quark 123 tactical lasted about 6 months before the tail started to wobble on the 'loose' setting. My 6p with a Malkoff drop in, my defender, and my HDS high cri exec all get play still, and that's it.

HDS can't be beat. I carry mine everywhere, use it constantly, and it has taken lots of abuse. Sad that they are so hard to come by, and the fact that they are pricey, or I'd own more. Best light I have ever handled, hands down, and rechargeable rcr123 batteries will save tons on cost. Plus, its a single cell, so no heinous discharge.

Top Bottom