Why in the weepin creepin jesus are we not funding this?!?!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Necropost....kinda, but I just ran across these videos.

Why aren't we funding this? Because it is a pipe dream. Maybe some day....but no time soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obS6TUVSZds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOZBrHqTJk4

Under $10 a year of electricity produced per tile (much less than the cost of the tile even over 10 years)...under ideal conditions....no proof that the glass is an adequate road surface...24% of the electricity consumed by the LEDs (bestcase scenario)...MORE than all of the electricity consumed if they try to heat them.

...and this is a guy who loves solar and has his own system.

ETA: removed the imbed....honestly, as old fashioned and polite as I try to be most of the time...I never really viewed "bull****" as that much of a swear....but maybe that's my rural upbringing.

Nothing I can do about the quote.

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Ermagherd!! Bad language prominently displayed!!!! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!

...but seriously, you might want to link those videos rather than imbed them. :twocents:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Necropost....kinda, but I just ran across these videos.

Why aren't we funding this? Because it is a pipe dream. Maybe some day....but no time soon.

[video=youtube;obS6TUVSZds]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obS6TUVSZds&src_vid=HOZBrHqTJk4&feature=iv &annotation_id=annotation_678279473[/video]

[video=youtube;HOZBrHqTJk4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOZBrHqTJk4[/video]

Under $10 a year of electricity produced per tile (much less than the cost of the tile even over 10 years)...under ideal conditions....no proof that the glass is an adequate road surface...24% of the electricity consumed by the LEDs (bestcase scenario)...MORE than all of the electricity consumed if they try to heat them.

...and this is a guy who loves solar and has his own system.

Pffft, no. It's because lobbying by "the interests" keep the sun from shining on them at full strength.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I drove past the second solar farm at the airport today. They seem to be facing at least 60 degrees west compared to the original one, and much more vertical. I'm confused. Are they just not aimed yet, or did the ideal position change 500' over?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I drove past the second solar farm at the airport today. They seem to be facing at least 60 degrees west compared to the original one, and much more vertical. I'm confused. Are they just not aimed yet, or did the ideal position change 500' over?

I actually drive past there daily on my way to work. They are still finishing the installation and calibration. All of the panels and materials were stored at the site where I used to work and I got to talk to the guys a bit that are doing the install. They do vary the angles so that there are always a certain number in direct sunlight at a given time.

While I think the "solar roads" are [STRIKE]reta[/STRIKE] oops silly, the solar farm idea for otherwise unused space is kinda neat. However, until we develop a means to store the power created on a large scale, the solar farms, much like the wind farms, will still take a very long time to offset their own cost in energy production.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    "They" are wanting to put a solar panel installation in at my plant. However, apparently Indiana doesn't have the needed subsidies that other states do and Duke has already taken on all the solar "co-generation" they want to for this year, so it's looking doubtful it can be financially feasible.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Nothing that requires taxpayer subsidy to fund is a viable investment, just like ethanol and windmills. When a system is viable, private business will be shoveling money at the project with front loaders.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I don't understand the idea of using government money to fund a project like this. If it is a viable form of energy then the private sector will gladly fund it. If the private sector is staying away from it then in all likelihood it sucks. That idea may not be applicable in all situations, but is venture to say it generally works.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    earthquake%20road%20damage%203.jpg

This is why...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1