Why is INGO not talking about DHS funding?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I knew a guy who worked for a drinking water utility. Not long after DHS was created, I noticed that huge concrete barriers had been placed end to end completely around the inside of the perimeter fence of the water works. My friend told me it was a DHS grant and was mandated that the blocks be put in place to prevent terrorists from driving a vehicle through the fence and poisoning the water. He said they were doing the same at every other water utility as far as he knew. At some point in the years after, they decided that those barriers created more problems than they cured, and then they got the OK to get rid of them. So, any construction company that wanted to haul them away could come and take them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I knew a guy who worked for a drinking water utility. Not long after DHS was created, I noticed that huge concrete barriers had been placed end to end completely around the inside of the perimeter fence of the water works. My friend told me it was a DHS grant and was mandated that the blocks be put in place to prevent terrorists from driving a vehicle through the fence and poisoning the water. He said they were doing the same at every other water utility as far as he knew. At some point in the years after, they decided that those barriers created more problems than they cured, and then they got the OK to get rid of them. So, any construction company that wanted to haul them away could come and take them.

:spend:

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I'm such a cynic anymore with anything related to this .gov

my initial reaction to the mall of America threat by Al-shabab was how convenient this threat comes out while DHS is trying to get funding. They're already in our airports and roadways with VIPR teams and now they want go full nazi in retail establishments. Shut em down!

i also found it a bit amusing that so many pro 2A team republicans were screaming on the news and interwebz about getting DHS funded when this same group thinks if you're a gun owner and have a small food store and have spoken out about the government you could be a domestic terrorist. Yeah, that's most pro 2A republicans. DHS thinks you have the potential to be a terrorist and you want to fund them?

And who is the number one threat according to the DHS and DOJ? "Right wing extremist" or sovereign citizens. Two ways to look at that. On the one hand, is the DHS so tone deaf that they don't recognize the threat ISIS is to our nation? On the other hand they're not stupid and realize that the threat of ISIS is more about keeping the general public scared so they feel they need the .gov to protect them.

bottom line for me, I'd prefer the whole DHS to be eliminated and replaced with nothing.

This +100. I've always found it amusing that DHS considers Americans more of a threat than the "terrorists" that we have to give up our rights and lives of fighting to keep us safe. The whole idea of war on terror was to keep the people scared, so .gov can protect them. Once more people see that concept we might see more effort to defund DHS.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ever watch House of Cards? It's pretty good at illustrating what a sham these sorts of discussions are.

It's all politics. Dems are blocking the bill, but saying Republicans are, world keeps on spinnin'

Biscuit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    La Porte
    Although I agree I also disagree there are a lot of things that are part of the DHS that do really Keep things safe. Not talking TSA but the Coast Guard the only federal Maritime Law enforcement which does aids to navigation, Search and rescue, vessel inspections and unlike the border patrol we turn over immigrants here illegally for deportation. The border patrol in the early and late 90's I works with them from the Coast Guard Station San Diego. My experience was mostly positive as we do not have to have probable cause to board a vessel to conduct a safety inspection they would ride along looking for people who did not naturalize to this country legally. I know it was over a decade ago, but the guys I worked with really wanted to do right by the American people and the immigrants. That meant keeping the FAMILYS TOGEATHER DURING DEPORTATION or minor health care IE, colds sore throat and such.

Now I disagree with the way DHS throws money around like baby throws cheerios, all over the place. There is no excuse for local law enforcement to have a DHS logo on there body armor, van truck or light armored assault vehicles. Really DHS purchase 800,000 for flash lights read it for your self Law enforcement flashlight temporarily blinds assailant | Military & Defense content from American City & County
    My stinger light I purchased for home defense does a very similar thing, so why is DHS doing this at a local level?

Now the TSA there are just too many things wrong, we would need to open many new threads. (I am sorry if you work there and I under stand a job is a job and I hope your group/ section is not the norm).

In short I don't believe the pieces and groups are the problem they most likely want to do their jobs its the head of the snake that has the issue.

This is just my humble opinion.

I know I did not touch on FEMA, Secret Service, Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, Management Directorate (I had to look this one up basically looks like an accounting department to confuse tax payers) National Protection and Programs Directorate (think tank), Science and Technology Directorate, Domestic Nuclear Detection Office, Office of Health Affairs, Office of Health Affairs, Office of Operations Coordination and Planning, Office of Policy (now this one really got me thinking and looking good luck finding out what they really do. It just keeps putting you through an endless maze of the same message worded differently.

THAT MOVIE KNIGHT AND DAY. IF THEY SAY SAFE AND SECURE, OR FOR YOUR SAFETY. RUN LIKE YOU HAVE NEVER RUN BEFORE.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    One of the biggest problems with DHS is simply the pure bureaucracy of it all.

I believe when it was first created, they rolled up close to two dozen agencies under the umbrella, creating a huge alphabet soup.

Of course all of these agencies are required to report to Congress constantly so they are all trying to prove their worth, while being limited to what they can actual do because of the man power and resources needed to meet the reporting requirements.

I'm sure there are some worthwhile initiatives, but there is just too much ambiguity going on under the guise of "national security."

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We cannot allow this illegal amnesty scam, period.

We can do without DHS plenty long enough. I can take first watch. Have rifle, will travel.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ever watch House of Cards? It's pretty good at illustrating what a sham these sorts of discussions are.

It's all politics. Dems are blocking the bill, but saying Republicans are, world keeps on spinnin'

Just like when Harry Reid was keeping bills from the Republican-controlled House from ever making it to the Senate floor. Yet it was the Republicans that were the obstructionists. :nuts:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Any reports on Hoosier representative votes?

Todd Young voted for it. Just saw a piece from Facebook on it. To keep us all safe.

Rep. Todd Young

As Congress has debated Homeland Security funding the past few weeks, it’s become apparent that we’ve let two very distinct issues become too entwined.
    On the issue of President Obama’s executive actions on immigration, I have repeatedly said that he lacks the authority to act unilaterally—a point he made himself on 22 separate occasions, and many Democrats have made. Every time the House had an opportunity to block or defund those actions, I voted to do so. I’m encouraged that the courts are currently halting those actions as illegal.
    Funding for Homeland Security, however, is a different issue. Senate Democrats have filibustered our attempt to simultaneously fund DHS and block their authority to enforce the President’s actions. In doing so, they’ve made it clear that they are willing to let partisan politics get in the way of substantive policy debate. I am not willing to do the same—especially not at the risk of shutting down the agency charged with keeping Americans safe.
    I spent ten years of my life in the military because I thought our country was worth serving and defending. I still feel the same as a U.S. Representative. That’s why today, I voted to keep our citizens safe by keeping Homeland Security funded, rather than voting to make a political point about a distinctly different issue.

bottlemaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Fairmount.in
    Brooks vote for it only 75 Republicans vote for but they had enough Demorats to get it pass CRY Baby leader of the house had all the help he need from the left, I think both sides want it the Dimorats gave cover to the Republicboobs so they can go home and say I vote against it , just how dumb do they think we are ? Well I guess we are pretty dumb we keep electing them .

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Agreed. He is a coward. The Republican leadership has once again betrayed the grassroots people who worked so hard give them the majority in both houses of Congress.

Back in Nov. Boehnor needed votes to pass the Cromnibus spending bill which included all funding for .gov except for DHS. He didn't have support from the Tea Party caucus so he told them essentially, pass this spending bill now, and we'll hold the line and stick it to Obama re: immigration when it's time to fund DHS in Feb.

Funny, he didn't keep his word. Business as usual for Boehnor. Well, for all politicians really.

Top Bottom