Why is it hard for dealers to get some guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 68kidd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hanover
    I checked with a couple of local gun shop for a certain gun that i have been wanting. They both said that they didn't know what is going on . They said that has been very slow to receive some guns. I had to wait over 3 months for a magazine( not for a new to market gun) to come in. I seen that others they are having the same problem . I could probably find these items online , but i like to keep my money local and one of the local dealers gives me incredible deals... i think he might make 5 dollars off my orders(always below retail ) . Any insight ?

:dunno:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If a shop can't get a specific make and model in it is usually just plain old supply and demand. If none of their distributors have any in stock to sell them, then they cannot order one.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Like John stated, its probably just supply and demand. Sometimes the market really wants something, and its harder to get. Like after the Bin Laden take down, good luck finding a Sig P226 or anything for one. Now, Im sure its a lot easier now that the demand has gone back down again. If it stays popular, they will up the production. Or, they might not have been very popular and stopped production on it, so they are having to scrounge to get what you are looking for. Good luck

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Have they tried several different wholesalers?
    I once had a problem trying to find a Savage 116 LH. through my dealer.
    He finally called Savage, they in turn gave him a ph.# of a wholesaler who should have it. We called and he said "I have 2". A week later I had my rifle. So you might want to give this a try.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I had the same issues a couple years back when I was looking for my Ruger Alaskan. I went to or called just about every shop from Indy to the Ohio river, with no luck, and finally found one at Bass Pro right here in town. They had 8 or 9 in stock! And had em priced reasonably! I had never considered buying a firearm from a place like Bass Pro, but they were the only game in town, and with the reward card points I got, I bought several boxes of ammo. Don't know if you've tried the big stores or not, but may be worth a look, who knows?

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    look at keltec. they can't keep up with demand. PMR 30s if you see them online are selling above MSRP, and try to get the KSG, retail is 880 but on gunbroker they're going for 2400

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Guns that are in high demand usually go to the high volume dealers. When a distributor gets shipments of popular guns, the good reps call the dealers and push the product. They are gone usually in hours. Small dealers that wait around for the customer that walks in the door and asks for it is often too late. Hang around Plainfield SHooting Supply and you'll see it in action. Distributors constantly calling and asking if they this model or that.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Some manufacturers are terrible about supplying firearms. I ordered a new Remington 40X-b repeater in .260 Remington and waited over 18 months before cancelling. The thing that REALLY ticked me off was that every month Remington had an ad in the magazines that said 40X, "NOW IN .260 Remington!". I contacted the biggest seller of 40X target Remingtons in the country, and he said they would not send him any either.

How many Ruger SR1911 ads have you seen? How many are able to get one in the store? They did the same thing when they brought out the sporting clays edition of the Red Label shotgun, it took me 9 months to get that one, and I paid full list in advance.

Last edited:

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Big dealers get first crack, small LGS get leftovers.

Check out CDNN , buds, impact etc... and you can usually find what you want and have them ship to your FFL.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Guns that are in high demand usually go to the high volume dealers. When a distributor gets shipments of popular guns, the good reps call the dealers and push the product. They are gone usually in hours. Small dealers that wait around for the customer that walks in the door and asks for it is often too late. Hang around Plainfield SHooting Supply and you'll see it in action. Distributors constantly calling and asking if they this model or that.

Those guys do move a lot of guns and have really good service while they do it.

Mcglockin7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Kel tec sub 2000, Kel tec KSG, Smith and Wesson M&P Sport, Ruger 1911, Ruger Lc9, Kel tec PMR 30... I think Kel tec needs to open up another barn to work out of, but the supply and demand is right on. If a gun gets popular it's almost impossible to find and when and if you do find it, it's marked up so much it's laughable sometimes at what people ask, but the sad part is there are people willing to pay it.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The owner of my local shop can not get a lot of guns customers are looking for. It's a matter of His distributors not having them in stock. Thank all the OMG election time panic buyers.

Top Bottom