• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    I see some states have it and some do not, but most people here vehemently disagree with it. Why? I'm being genuine here; I'm new to guns so I'm genuinely curious.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I see registration as a first step towards gun banning. The state will simple be keeping count of who has what for when (the anti-gunners hope) the day comes when guns are outlawed.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Registration is, as history shows, the first step towards confiscation. If they know who has what and where it is, that makes officer friendly's job that much easier. No thanks.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    I don't agree with it because I feel there is no need for anyone in the government to know how many or what type of firearms I own. I also don't post a list or pictures of what I own for this reason. If it is a legal firearm then there should be no need for anyone to know. I realize with the NFA weapons they keep tabs on them and even that is a little shadowy to me because in my mind the NFA was due to criminal activity. So that being said we get into the common sense statement that laws only apply to law abiding people because criminals are criminals and to be criminals they can't care much about laws to begin with. Gun registration just makes it easier for governments to run amok and trample the CITIZENS in my mind.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Historically, there has never been a weapon registration that did not eventually result in confiscation (barring a few here that simply haven't reached that point yet). There is no need for the .gov to make up a 'trick-or-treat' list unless it plans to go trick-or-treating.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    In addition to mrjarrells point, registrations have proven to not do what their proponents say they will. They do not cut down or prevent crime at all.

Canada recently dropped their long gun registry.
    Efforts to repeal the long gun registry lasted 17 years, and they finally succeeded in part because the majority of Canadians have concluded that the registry was a colossal waste of money, of no value in crime control, and a pointless invasion of privacy.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Because registering a gun doesn't keep it from being lost or stolen any more than reporting the serial number as stolen after it disappears.

The only time citizens arm criminals is when their firearms are stolen, and nothing more than educating people on responsibility will change anything.

So in the end it will not have any positive outcome, and should be dismissed. 2+2 also tells you what follows in the wake of gun registration, and that those pushing for such a thing won't be happy no matter what they accomplish against you. Don't be surprised if you see butter knives having large "18+" signs on them, and requiring an ID to buy, because they managed that in the UK and it could very well become just as common place here. (I was over there for a month, 2 years ago.)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Registration is, as history shows, the first step towards confiscation. If they know who has what and where it is, that makes officer friendly's job that much easier. No thanks.

:yesway:

Just like it happened in the 1940's in lots of countries in Europe that had gun registration.
    You dont know who will get to use this database in the future.
    They had to give their guns or were arrested if they tried to hide them or pretend they didn't have any.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I see some states have it and some do not, but most people here vehemently disagree with it. Why? I'm being genuine here; I'm new to guns so I'm genuinely curious.

You say you are new to guns. So the answers you have received so far should be sufficient to understand where we the gun culture are coming from as far as registration is concerned.

The big picture, the thing that has not been mentioned is that there is basically a war going on between the anti gun people and the pro gun people. The anti gun people dont want reasonable controls, reasonable laws, their goal it to completely remove guns from the possession of law abiding citizens. No matter how many laws / rules / regulations exist, it isn't enough for the anti's. Each new law / regulation / restriction simply brings them closer to the ultimate goal of complete gun control. The pro gun side has learned to deal with the restrictions that exist now and resist any effort to further diminish our rights to bear arms. Hence any new attempt to restrict our rights is seen as a step closer to completely wiping out our rights.

In short you give the anti's a inch they take a mile.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Agreed. I don't ask the cops or government how many guns they have, so why should I be expected to tell them what I have? :n00b:

M. Rockatansky

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    Not to mention the government doesn't do a great job of protecting information. Records being disposed of in trash bins, etc. I'd say the probability of gun registration records falling into others hands would be high at some point. Potential thieves, etc.

That's beside the point, though. History has demonstrated that this would be folly. I'd rather not live in a police state.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Let's OUTLAW cars trucks motorcycles and atvs. I'm am sure they kill more people per year that guns of any kind. Let's bring back PROABITION: No more beer, wine or spirits of anykind. No? Liberal politcians do not want this because that will affect them. Well Screw'em.

Lets bring back Real Horspower, one at a time. Up to a limit of six, of course. Let's bring back bootleggers. Let us support a Great Blackmarket of Guns, Ammo, Booze and Automobiles.

Am I yelling. Damm Right I am. So Screw you if you are Left Wingest, Anti-Gunest furggin Liberal Bad Person. I am beginning to say, This becoming close to enough for me and 100 of thousands like me!

This message is approved by me.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Agreed. I don't ask the cops or government how many guns they have, so why should I be expected to tell them what I have? :n00b:

You know, that's an excellent point. Sounds like an great Freedom of Information query, since the executive doesn't have a right to bear arms, but is only authorized to do so within the parameters of laws passed by the legislature.

Top Bottom