• ...and so much more!
  • Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I owned a full size XD in 9mm for several years. It shot fine for me but was unremarkable. I put a Powder River trigger kit in it and that improved things. As someone else noted, it was kind of blocky feeling.

I have since traded it. I own a 9mm Shield, a Glock 45 and a 45 ACP M&P. All are better pistols in my opinion.

To each his own. It's nice that we have so many choices in determining our favorite pistols.

Ketlage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    If your going to spend $500 on a handgun there is always going to be a better option.
    If they were in the Highpoint price range then maybe I could see them having a place.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I thing I don't like is you can't find factory parts. For example, I have an Elite, when they come out with a slide that is optics ready, you can't get one from Springfield that I know of.
    The funny thing is a sig p320 slide could be as much as a second xdm if you can find a deal. Ive got the compact and im wondering if theres some incompatibly that prevents part swapping? Luckily ive got a friend with two xdm non elites to test this with

Maybe its the fact that I have a elite but to be it feels like a way better built gun than my Glock 26, like the frame is strudier. Even the stock sights are better than the plastic painted ones on a glock.

Yes the grip safety is weird but I actually want that in my case as I cant alway carry in a holster and might just have to bury it in a bag that doesnt scream “GUN HERE”, my the closest I can come to a tactical bag is a maxpedition prepared citizen. Even that bag is done up to look like a middle schoolers(disney stuff) and in fact has had me ID at a store before theyd like me see a gun.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    XD and XDm are "also-ran" pistols. No military provenance, not widely used by law enforcement, silly and unnecessary grip safety, high bore axis, limited aftermarket support. Not real Springfield Armory pistols, just Croatian polymer stamped with a logo. Considered by a lot of people to be the epitome of a "bubba" gun. They work ok, but so do most other pistols. Even if every other pistol doesn't have a designated "grip zone."

Other makes are proven in the field, in wide use amongst armed professionals and have excellent track records. The best that can be said about the XD series is that it's ok, but you could do better.

The XDm is used by police, security, and military forces in Europe and Asia (a dozen of Armies use it as their primary sidearm).

They are made by HSProdukt for the European market and are not stamped "Springfield Armory".

It was recently adopted in Paris by the RATP (bus and subway transport) for their security agents.

5b8a5a6f09fac296118b4567.JPG

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    XDM, complete with grip zone, featured in this story:

What do you think of the paint job?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The XDm is used by police, security, and military forces in Europe and Asia (a dozen of Armies use it as their primary sidearm).
    I said that they are not widely used, and I stand by that. A few irrelevant militaries and some subway cops does not equal wide use, especially when compared to pistols that are actually in wide use.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I said that they are not widely used, and I stand by that. A few irrelevant militaries and some subway cops does not equal wide use, especially when compared to pistols that are actually in wide use.
    I'm not saying you're wrong, clearly (in the US anyway but also probably worldwide) they are not as used as other brands.

I was just pointing out that they are probably more used (and loved) in some parts of the world outside of the US.
    Even if it's mainly Croatia and some small other countries.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I don’t think I have attended a class that someone was using a XD?

Glock
    M&P
    Walther
    1911’s
    Ruger
    CZ
    Beretta
    SIG

Nothing really below a Ruger in quality and they seem to work fine.

Seems the XD may not have a big Hoosier following?

Maybe in New York?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2015
    Frankfort
    For whatever reason, when a buddy of mine and I started shooting competitively, I went the M&P route, he went the Springfield way. At the time, on paper, his gun was way better. A little longer barrel, ported slide, etc., until you tried the trigger. Yikes. We both decided to upgrade. I went with the Apex, he the Powder something (River/Valley I think). We installed mine in less than two hours. I had countless people try my gun and say "If I'd of known you could make an M&P trigger that nice I would of never bought a (fill in blank here). We never did put all the "pieces" in that came with his "kit". Disclaimer: we are not gunsmiths and I'm sure someone with more ability could have "finished" his. Sometimes it isn't how nice a gun is or is not, it's how nice you can make it...
    P.S.: (To all the naysayers - we shot more USPSA matches together than I care to count back then, and later 3 Gun, I never saw his pistol fail)

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Yes the grip safety is weird but I actually want that in my case as I cant alway carry in a holster and might just have to bury it in a bag that doesnt scream “GUN HERE”, my the closest I can come to a tactical bag is a maxpedition prepared citizen. Even that bag is done up to look like a middle schoolers(disney stuff) and in fact has had me ID at a store before theyd like me see a gun.
    Even if you carry it in a bag, it should be holstered. Every time. Absolute minimum would be for a trigger guard holster.

If not holstered, then it should not have a round in the chamber - no matter what kind of gun it is.

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Ive noticed thru a search on this board that while cz has its thread almost pinned XDM are rarely even mentioned outside of the sales board? I just recently picked up my XDM elite compact and havent gotten to shoot it yet, but is there a reason that the gun isnt as popular as say a M&P shield?

I have a coupla XDm's and love 'em right along all my CZ's/Rugers/SIG.

Great performers and easy to work on.

texas123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Frankfort
    I currently have the original XD 4" with the compact grip ( 10 rd) in 45acp. As far as reliability goes it eats every thing from hollow points to round nose steel to brass , reloads , +p does not matter. The grip safety is a non issue. You really don't notice it. Is it the most beautiful handgun ever created ....NO Has it been utterly reliable .....Yes

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The issues that relegate the XD/M to "also ran status" are:

1) Grip safety can interfere with running the slide during malfunction clearance as it locks the slide if not fully depressed
    2) Magazines are not as robust as duty grade guns.
    3) No armorer classes/local support. Work must be done by the mothership.

Kind of over the top marketing adds to it.

Not what I'd pick for a fighting gun. Fine for competition or casual use if that's what you're into.

druckernut

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2021
    South Indianapolis
    This is my first post so I might as well jump in with both feet.

I have a Springfield XDM 9mm 5.25 Competition Bi-Tone. Since I didn't like its out-of-the-box long trigger pre-travel, I replaced it with a PRP® Ultimate Match Target Trigger Kit. My carry holster is the Safariland 6378 ALS Paddle & Belt Slide Holster.

I'm quite happy with my XDM and have no interest in replacing it. It's very accurate and reliable. Not once have I or the other 10 or so people who've shot it had it malfunction. Most importantly of all, it fits me and my style of shooting well. Undoubtedly, this pistol will be on my hip during the coming zombie apocalypse :-)

The XDM is also my go-to concealed weapon when I'm in a more open environment where distance matters (For crowded areas and where concealment is paramount I carry my Sig Sauer P238.). It conceals better than one might think when it's holstered high on the hip.

I'll gladly stick with the XDM, thank you very much. :-)

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The issues that relegate the XD/M to "also ran status" are:

1) Grip safety can interfere with running the slide during malfunction clearance as it locks the slide if not fully depressed

Not what I'd pick for a fighting gun. Fine for competition or casual use if that's what you're into.
    As to #1, this is true on the XD and XDm. But the XDs can be ran without the grip safety being activated.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    My wife had an XDm for a few years...it shot just fine, but was difficult for her to carry comfortably, conceal adequately, etc., especially when compared to her Glock 26. She didn't really have any issues with it, performance-wise, but in the end, we simply sold it as unneeded. She went back to a Beretta, which fit her long-fingered, women's basketball-palming, grip better!

Top Bottom